Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 5,588 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to the Tampa area for a job in financial industry. In about a year I will have my PhD in accounting complete. I was wondering if anyone has information on part time college teaching opportunities. I would like to get into teaching while keeping my full time job, and was wondering if community colleges and the like ever hire weekend / night / on-line instructors. Also, I was wondering what certifications and the like may be required for college instructors. Not really worried about the pay, more for getting experience in teaching any maybe going full-time one day.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmlavoie View Post
I may be moving to the Tampa area for a job in financial industry. In about a year I will have my PhD in accounting complete. I was wondering if anyone has information on part time college teaching opportunities. I would like to get into teaching while keeping my full time job, and was wondering if community colleges and the like ever hire weekend / night / on-line instructors. Also, I was wondering what certifications and the like may be required for college instructors. Not really worried about the pay, more for getting experience in teaching any maybe going full-time one day.

Thanks for the help!
Adjunct instruction in the Tampa area is not something one does for the money, that's for sure.

I have two friends who are adjuncts, one at HCC and the other at St. Pete College. Both do it because they love teaching.

You can look on the web sites of the local colleges and see what they are currently in need of. Just be aware that the time commitment is significant.

Most places don't require additional certifications if you have a minimum of a masters. If you have a Ph.D. you should be fine.

RM

Old 06-04-2013, 11:00 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:

Thanks for the help!
My wife is a part time professor at a for profit university, She teaches online courses. If that's the sort of thing you want to do you don't have to be in the same state as the school.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:54 AM

Yes, that would definitely be ideal, just for the teaching experience alone. May I ask how she received that position? Did she simply apply to different colleges offering to be an online instructor?

Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:10 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Yes, that would definitely be ideal, just for the teaching experience alone. May I ask how she received that position? Did she simply apply to different colleges offering to be an online instructor?

Thanks for the replies.
She applied online to ITT taught that for while then wrote curriculum through Pearson, then she got poached by another for-profit school. I would say this and she would agree its not really teaching as much as moderating the boards and distributing the curriculum to the students. Its not her full time job, at times she had wanted to take a semester off but she says if you turn them down then its really hard to get rehired for the next semester, because you do get hired by semester.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
Look for the opportunities in Hillsborough Community College,and all the other universities here. They very often are looking for persons with a degree like yours will be to teach accounting.

Like others have said, it is something that's not really done for the $, because the pay is not very good and it is very time consuming, but personally rewarding.

Congratulations on that PHD you are about to get!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 AM

16 posts, read 39,414 times
I currently teach as an adjunct at SPC online - have previously taught at HCC and elsewhere. I can tell you that SPC is looking to add adjuncts right now. Due to the Affordable Care Act, our teaching loads are being reduced. Whereas I previously taught four sections a semester (in addition to my full-time corporate gig), we are being restricted to two (6 credit hours). They're looking to add new adjuncts to fill these gaps.

The pay at SPC is better than at HCC, and despite what others on here have said, I don't find it bad at all for supplementary income. At my pay range (Masters +30) I believe I make $741 a credit hour (can't remember off the top of my head). That's over $2,200 a class. I teach online and have been teaching the same thing for years, so I probably spend 5-hours in a normal week working on school stuff - 10-15 hours during finals week.

Feel free to private message me if you would like me to forward your resume along. I don't know much about our business programs - I teach Political Science, but I'd be more than happy to help if I can.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Thank you all for your replies! Now, I just hope to get the job down there…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay