U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 PM
 
19 posts, read 44,581 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

I have accepted a job offer in ClearWater, FL and looking to move close to there from Oxford, OH.
We are thinking to live in Palm Harbor due to its excellent schools.

We are a family with 2 kids, 6 and 3 and looking to rent for now, preferably a house or a duplex rather than an apartment. We like to live close to a park, library.

Is the commute from Palm Harbor to ClearWater an Ok one?

Can you guys recommend few places, so I can start checking out for rentals. Thanks.

Also, I have AAA auto insurance here in Ohio, I'm assuming they insure in FL?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2013, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
296 posts, read 568,826 times
Reputation: 292
Welcome to Tampa Bay! The commute from Palm Harbor to Clearwater isn't bad depending on what part of Clearwater you're working in. Clearwater is a much bigger city than Palm Harbor and sprawls out quite a bit.

If you are working in downtown Clearwater Palm Harbor is a bit of a hike. If you are working off of US19 it won't be so bad. If you are working in the 'Countryside' neighborhood of Clearwater Palm Harbor is extremely close by.

When moving to Palm Harbor there is one major thing to consider, East Lake or West. Palm Harbor is divided right down the middle by a huge lake(Lake Tarpon). East Lake is a very new area, I recommend this area of Palm Harbor over the west side of the lake. Check out Lansbrook, Ridgemoor, East Lake Woodlands, Windmill Point neighborhoods for rentals. The west side of Palm Harbor is a bunch of older neighborhoods and businesses stretched out across US19. It is a busier part of town, probably can find some cheaper rent there. It’s veryc lose to Tarpon Springs which has Gulf beaches, on that side I’d take a look at Baywood Village, there are some nice neighborhoods off of Belcher Rd. as well.

You also will want to know that depending on where you live in Palm Harbor will zone you for different schools. East Lake High School, Palm Harbor University High School, and Tarpon Springs High School.





Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 02:08 PM
 
2,727 posts, read 4,625,108 times
Reputation: 2342
Where in Clearwater will you be working?

I didn't know AAA writes insurance policy there. Here they just act as an agent and get you quote from other insurance writers. That's at least what happened when I tried them a year or so ago. Are you sure that AAA is writing your policy over there? Note to be confused with AAA membership that is good for roadside assistance in case your car broke.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 07:53 AM
 
19 posts, read 44,581 times
Reputation: 12
I will be working in ClearWater Downtown.
Thanks for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
Welcome to Tampa Bay! The commute from Palm Harbor to Clearwater isn't bad depending on what part of Clearwater you're working in. Clearwater is a much bigger city than Palm Harbor and sprawls out quite a bit.

If you are working in downtown Clearwater Palm Harbor is a bit of a hike. If you are working off of US19 it won't be so bad. If you are working in the 'Countryside' neighborhood of Clearwater Palm Harbor is extremely close by.

When moving to Palm Harbor there is one major thing to consider, East Lake or West. Palm Harbor is divided right down the middle by a huge lake(Lake Tarpon). East Lake is a very new area, I recommend this area of Palm Harbor over the west side of the lake. Check out Lansbrook, Ridgemoor, East Lake Woodlands, Windmill Point neighborhoods for rentals. The west side of Palm Harbor is a bunch of older neighborhoods and businesses stretched out across US19. It is a busier part of town, probably can find some cheaper rent there. It’s veryc lose to Tarpon Springs which has Gulf beaches, on that side I’d take a look at Baywood Village, there are some nice neighborhoods off of Belcher Rd. as well.

You also will want to know that depending on where you live in Palm Harbor will zone you for different schools. East Lake High School, Palm Harbor University High School, and Tarpon Springs High School.





Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 AM
 
19 posts, read 44,581 times
Reputation: 12
I will be working in ClearWater Downtown.

You are right, when I asked AAA Florida they sent me a quote from Safeco and Progressive. Prices are almost double than what I'm paying for my two cars here in Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Where in Clearwater will you be working?

I didn't know AAA writes insurance policy there. Here they just act as an agent and get you quote from other insurance writers. That's at least what happened when I tried them a year or so ago. Are you sure that AAA is writing your policy over there? Note to be confused with AAA membership that is good for roadside assistance in case your car broke.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 AM
 
19 posts, read 44,581 times
Reputation: 12
Also, my wife will be working in St. Pete and as mentioned above I will be working in downtown ClearWater.

Are there any good places to live between ClearWater and St. Pete with good school districts. I have heard Palm Harbor having good schools but it could be a further communte to St. Pete where the wife will be working.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 01:06 PM
 
2,727 posts, read 4,625,108 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_fan View Post
Also, my wife will be working in St. Pete and as mentioned above I will be working in downtown ClearWater.

Are there any good places to live between ClearWater and St. Pete with good school districts. I have heard Palm Harbor having good schools but it could be a further communte to St. Pete where the wife will be working.

Thanks.

That's going to be a nightmare drive for your wife. Even for you, not an easy commute. You would have to take Alt 19, which one slow driver could block you for miles and you will shake your head . You guys better drive first and see how much you can tolerate. I don't see how you can make Palm Harbor work without spending hours in the road, which you could spend helping your children at home.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 PM
 
19 posts, read 44,581 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
That's going to be a nightmare drive for your wife. Even for you, not an easy commute. You would have to take Alt 19, which one slow driver could block you for miles and you will shake your head . You guys better drive first and see how much you can tolerate. I don't see how you can make Palm Harbor work without spending hours in the road, which you could spend helping your children at home.
What do you think about Seminole or Pinellas Park, Are the schools good in that area? They seem to be located closer to both ClearWater/St.Pete.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Sandy beaches...
426 posts, read 403,514 times
Reputation: 837
We moved to Palm Harbor last year and I work in Largo about a 20 miles one way commute. It's a good 40 minutes drive with traffic in the morning. Largo is south of Clearwater so at least your commute will be a tad shorter by maybe 10 minutes. The problem is that the drive in Pinellas is all traffic lights so it's stop and go. There's just not any alternative options from PH in the north going south on Omaha/Keene, Belcher, or US19. Alt 19 I wouldn't even try as it's single lane like the above poster indicated. With my luck I guarantee I would get stuck behind some senior citizen going 24 mph in a big cadillac with a stuck blinking left signal all the way.
That said however we picked PH simply because of its great school reputation especially with PHUHS where our kids will be attending in the future. We did all the research from far away before the moved here and from the map looked at the south side Pinellas Park, Seminole etc. We even did the one week recon trip and I pretty much discounted PH then due to the long commute distance. Until we actually moved here and while renting that PH came into the picture and was finalized. Nothing beats living here for a short while before committing.
Check out GEICO for auto insurance, they gave me the best/lowest quote among all the companies I shopped for. I was with Safeco and they were not competitive. Companies like Allstate and State Farm quotes were ridiculously high.
Good luck with your decision.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 02:00 PM
 
19 posts, read 44,581 times
Reputation: 12
I'm here in the area and looked at palm harbor, westchase, oldsmar and safety harbor and am going to rent a house in safety harbor very close to the phillipe park. The area looks nice and has a small town atmosphere which we like.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top