U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:00 AM

2 posts, read 34,703 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I have been looking around the Tampa area for several weeks now. We're relocating from Denver to a warmer climate. We're originally from the east coast of Florida, so we know nothing about the west coast.

Anyway, we started out looking in New Tampa...although it was a bit too far out for us. Next on to Brandon...too far from the beach and it just didn't have that "Florida feel". We stumbled upon the Tarpon Springs area yesterday and fell in love with the little downtown area and the charm of the older homes around it. Question is, how is it to raise a family here? Is it mostly older people? We have a 3.5 year old and a baby on the way. So schools are definitely important as well.

We love being walking distance to coffee shops; restaurants; etc. And love the feel of a real community. Especially during the holidays when they tend to have a lot of festivities and the like for kids and families.

We've also heard that downtown Dunedin is nice as well. And maybe even the Palm Harbor area? Just looking for some honest advice - good or bad - about these areas. We would really like to be close to a beach; close to a downtown...but our main concerns are good schools and low crime...just nice family oriented, kid friendly communities (an overall great place to raise a family). Thanks for reading!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 AM

119 posts, read 185,915 times
I am not living there yet but have done extensive research on the areas as well as having spoken with several on this forum. My recommendation would be Palm Harbor for your family. I believe it has everything you need and want. Dunedin seems to be more retirees. Tarpon Springs? Not sure. I fell in love with that town as well. Have no idea on schools, etc. there. I am sure you will get plenty of responses soon so hang tight. Just wanted to offer my two cents. Best wishes on your relocation. I hope to be there by next summer myself.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:11 AM

6,073 posts, read 5,613,861 times
Dunedin--downtown, marina, causeway park, family events, holiday celebrations, Honeymoon Island, Pinellas Trail--pretty fabulous. Schools were NOT part of our consideration so do your homework. Walk or bike the causeway on a weekend afternoon, there are plenty of younger people and young families there. All a matter of personal preference, but I think Tarpon Springs is a better place to visit than to live in.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:19 AM

385 posts, read 991,097 times
Tarpon springs is farther away from the larger cities like Clearwater, Tampa and St. Pete. You are not actually that close to the beach at Tarpon Springs, unless you have a boat and can go out to Anclote Key.

Dunedin's downtown is very nice, with a lot of events going on regularly. It is also very close to the beach, and you can walk/bike on the causeway or the Pinellas trail.

I think you'd feel less isolated in Dunedin... but you could also live in Palm Harbor or Oldsmar and be pretty close to Dunedin.

I've heard also that there is more crime in Tarpon Springs... but I'm not sure if that's true.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:35 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,574,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianprinses View Post
Hello,

My family and I have been looking around the Tampa area for several weeks now. We're relocating from Denver to a warmer climate. We're originally from the east coast of Florida, so we know nothing about the west coast.

Anyway, we started out looking in New Tampa...although it was a bit too far out for us. Next on to Brandon...too far from the beach and it just didn't have that "Florida feel". We stumbled upon the Tarpon Springs area yesterday and fell in love with the little downtown area and the charm of the older homes around it. Question is, how is it to raise a family here? Is it mostly older people? We have a 3.5 year old and a baby on the way. So schools are definitely important as well.

We love being walking distance to coffee shops; restaurants; etc. And love the feel of a real community. Especially during the holidays when they tend to have a lot of festivities and the like for kids and families.

We've also heard that downtown Dunedin is nice as well. And maybe even the Palm Harbor area? Just looking for some honest advice - good or bad - about these areas. We would really like to be close to a beach; close to a downtown...but our main concerns are good schools and low crime...just nice family oriented, kid friendly communities (an overall great place to raise a family). Thanks for reading!
I think Tarpon is a better area to visit than to live. Unless you are Greek, of course. Tarpon is known for its amazing Greek culture. I wouldn't want to live there though … I think you'd have a hard time fitting in unless you were Greek.

Dunedin would be a better fit for a family. Lots to do and very Florida feeling. It also has a walkable downtown and is close to Honeymoon Island. I'm not sure the schools are all that great though.

Palm Harbor is nice, but it is more subdivision-y and not very walkable. Schools in Palm Harbor are very good, however.

Oldsmar and Safety Harbor are two areas you should also check out. I live in Safety Harbor and it is very, very nice. It isn't too far from the beach, it has excellent schools, and is very family oriented and kid-friendly. Check it out.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 34,703 times
Thanks for the answers so far, very informative! I'm feeling like Dunedin would be the place to be. The PROBLEM is that there's no inventory! Hardly any homes to choose from... If anyone knows of an aggressive Realtor who specializes in this area of town, we'd be interested in talking with them.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:06 PM

6,697 posts, read 7,288,330 times
Dunedin is fine but watch the schools...not nearly as good as Palm Harbor...unless you go the private route...then you have Our Lady Of Lourdes or Guardian Angel and Clearwater Central Catholic High School...there are good Christian schools such as Skycrest and Westlake Christian...I'm sure others can give you more info!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:58 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,574,262 times
This year Westlake Christian just earned National Blue Ribbon status for being a high-performing school. It is pretty close to Dunedin. I've heard it is considered the "Berkeley Prep" of North Pinellas.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:07 AM

70 posts, read 159,603 times
Inventory is low in all areas right now, not just Dunedin. Key is getting info on places as they come on the market, watching for ones that have been on the market a while due to being overpriced but the owner does or is about to drop the price to a more reasonable range and being prepared to act quickly when you find something.

Palm Harbor is probably the best area of the 3 for schools but you will likely pay a premium for being in that area. With constrained inventory you can still find something but you have to be realistic and prepared to act quickly.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:33 PM

21 posts, read 103,565 times
Thumbs up All three nice in there own ways

Tarpon Springs, Palm Harbor, and Dunedin each have their pros and cons, in my humble opinion.

As has been said Tarpon does have a Greek cultural feel which is interesting. It is the oldest of the three and very quaint but the schools are so-so. Crime is the highest of the three but by no means bad. Away from the tourist area, TS has a definite blue collar nautical feeling.

Palm Harbor does have a suburban feel but has some of the best school in the State. The historic "downtown" is tiny. My favorite areas of PH are Ozona and Crystal Beach.

Dunedin is charming with better schools that Tarpon but not at the PH level. It is probably the most walkable of the three. It has an alive feeling.

In short, I don't think you'd go wrong with any of three. Look at school districts and then neighborhoods and I think you'll be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or