Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:24 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times

Advertisements

The weather will be the same July 20 or July 28. July is a bad time to visit if you want to go to theme parks our any other tourist activity. The lines are long and it is hot. Now that kids are out of school I pretty much avoid any theme park on the weekends unless we go late.

Adventure Island is a fantastic waterpark and is an excellent way to cool down. Lines will be long on the weekend.

Check out Fort DeSoto if you have a chance. It has become my favorite beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Let's be honest here. MOST people think Florida summers are unbearable and they wonder how anyone can live here in summer. I have had visitors here from DC, San Diego, North Dakota, and Texas in summer (despite my warnings to them) and they have all felt like they were "dying". The California people are ESPECIALLY intolerant of Florida weather, since they are accustomed to 70 degrees all the time. Last week my brother was in LA and the high temp was 72 every single day. The HIGH temp. Which is why Florida is not as populated (or OVER-populated) as California.

89 degrees in Tampa feels a lot hotter than 89 degrees in Omaha or 89 degrees in Seattle or 93 degrees in Atlanta. And that is because of the position of the sun, and also the special Florida humidity.

However, if you do want an accurate idea of Florida heat, July is a great time to visit.

PS: I have visited Phoenix and Palm Springs in summer (115 degrees) and that heat is def. worse than Florida's.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:58 AM

226 posts, read 339,628 times
Thanks again! Yes, I don't like theme parks in summer either yuck! So no, we're mainly going for beach, fishing, water stuff. I asked in another thread-but I'm thinking we should be able to find some restuarants/bars or resorts that have use of the pool (even for a fee)? The location we are staying does not have a pool but a perfect location on the dunedin causeway/bridge area! Adventure Island? We will likely be staying during week also so that would work out ok I guess.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:33 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
From first hand experience living here and having visited for decades, and being able to compare first hand further north........it feels MUCH cooler here in than up there. We live in Palm Harbor, 3.5 miles from the gulf. We have had a sea-breeze every single day we have been here. The sea-breeze makes it very far inland, due to it being so flat. You can bank on temps being between 88-92 for the most part over here.....unlike many many days up there 95-105 over the last several years. The constant breeze here cools the skin compared to stagnant hot and humid weather up there.

We just got to the best weather time of year here....IMO, but I also appreciate the change of seasons here, except some periods of cold weather. We will someday retire further south to help that out.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:21 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
I wouldn't vacation here in July...it is soooo hot...I live in Palm Harbor about a half a mile from the coast and really don't feel any breeze from the gulf(not really sure how anyone in Eastlake feels any)...I can't give any advice more than I wouldn't do it!!!

Old 06-14-2013, 02:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
From first hand experience living here and having visited for decades, and being able to compare first hand further north........it feels MUCH cooler here in than up there. We live in Palm Harbor, 3.5 miles from the gulf. We have had a sea-breeze every single day we have been here. The sea-breeze makes it very far inland, due to it being so flat. You can bank on temps being between 88-92 for the most part over here.....unlike many many days up there 95-105 over the last several years. The constant breeze here cools the skin compared to stagnant hot and humid weather up there.

We just got to the best weather time of year here....IMO, but I also appreciate the change of seasons here, except some periods of cold weather. We will someday retire further south to help that out.
When i make my pilgrimages to Fla . it usually involves much fishing, while there maybe a breeze close to shore or in a boat after a few hours i'm fried breeze or not i find shade is a better way to get a bit cooler than standing on a beach or pier either way florida breezes are akin to having a small fan in a sauna bath, heat is a relative thing some love it some hate it, i'm one of the heat h8ers.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:40 AM

591 posts, read 820,599 times
Those of you complaining about summer weather in FL have never spent a summer in AZ.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Those of you complaining about summer weather in FL have never spent a summer in AZ.
Yeah but its a dry heat..

Old 06-14-2013, 05:19 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When i make my pilgrimages to Fla . it usually involves much fishing, while there maybe a breeze close to shore or in a boat after a few hours i'm fried breeze or not i find shade is a better way to get a bit cooler than standing on a beach or pier either way florida breezes are akin to having a small fan in a sauna bath, heat is a relative thing some love it some hate it, i'm one of the heat h8ers.
Yes, different for everyone.....but the OP wants to see how it is during the summer, plans on moving here and lives in a location which feels much more uncomfortable than here. Based on personally having lived in both climates, I can assure the OP that this location feels cooler than his location.

People are free to either like the heat/humidity or not, but what they should realize is the temps here are moderated quite a bit compared to other places. Having summer temps of 95-105 and similar dew points elsewhere is what conditioned us to living here and feeling comfortable here.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:32 AM

The 95-105 temps and humidity you refer to may be much hotter than the Florida heat and humidity but those temperatures are extremes and dont last that long whereas Floridas temps in the Mid 80's to low 90's plus the humidity last from around May till at least November. Maybe great for some but not my cup of tea, whether its the op's cup of tea may be determined on that July vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay