Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 PM

226 posts, read 339,729 times

Advertisements

So, I was planning to travel there in April, just my fiance and I- but we put it off because of other family matters. I'm needing to get my kids (teens) off to some fun and vacation at the beach-we typically go to Myrtle Beach in May (prices are lower) and it's great weather. We waited too long.

Now I'm thinking of vacation there in Tampa Bay area in July-been researching tons of options-hotels/motels and condos all over the area. Since we want to move in a couple years to the S. Harbor/P. Harbor or Oldsmar area-I'd like something centrally located to visit those areas as well as beaches-upon much search I think I found a wonderful spot in Dunedin 2bd 1/ba that sounds awesome and very good prices.

I guess that going in July would give us a TRUE representation of how hot it is in the summer there right? Do you get some good breeze at the beaches at least to make it tolerable? We'd be right by the causeway to Honeymoon Island. Since we'd be off the water (St. Josephs) would we feel some breeze there as well? Or would it be miserabl to try and vacation this time of year?

Keep in mind, we live in GA-today has been a sweltering 93 degrees and YES 93pct humidity- to hot to enjoy outside at all but we're not near water either-just pavement-no breeze. Opinions please?

What about walking in evenings around PIer 60/John's pass area, etc...would it be ok enough in evenings to visit places off the water?

I am a spring/summer person-but a little intimidated right now about visiting in July. All opinions welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Late July early august are pretty much the hottest times.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:51 PM

True, agreed, there and here lol-but what I"m wondeing about is if being near the sound, and at the beach during day- does the breeze make it at least tolerable?? What about fishing-do you catch anything that time of the year?

Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
I cant answer that - i'm not a beach person so I dont normally go out that way. Hopefully someone here can answer you though.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Being on the beach will make it much more tolerable, as there is usually a nice breeze.

Having lived in Georgia myself, I know the temps can be the same there as here, but it doesn't feel the same. It just feels hotter here, maybe cause it gets hot so early in the day and stays hot till way late in the evening. Not really sure why.

But yeah, if you can handle it here in July/August, you can handle it anytime.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post

Keep in mind, we live in GA-today has been a sweltering 93 degrees and YES 93pct humidity- to hot to enjoy outside at all but we're not near water either-just pavement-no breeze. Opinions please?

!
If you can handle those types of temps Florida is usually a few degrees cooler,mid 80"s to 90 with plenty of humidity Problem with Florida is that level of heat and humidity is unrelenting usually from May till November.
As for sea breezes?unless you are right on the beach you wont notice too much in the way of breezes.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
There is a a difference near the water as opposed to further inland. It's always a few degrees cooler.

If you are planning to move here, visiting in July is a really good idea, since that's about as hot as it gets. If you don't mind summertime in GA, you'll be fine.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:42 AM

I guess the difference is our hot/humid months are Jun through-Aug-normally by Sept are weather is absolutely beautiful!! So it would be like long extended summers. I'm sure we could drop some lbs before moving to make it more tolerable lol

I won't lie, I don't love humidity like Prius does- I have long long hair- it's like one big bad hair day lol. BUT I can tolerate it if I"m around nature, beauty, water, birds, fish- here it's just pavement and traffic-closest lake about 30 mins if no traffice (never). I'm sure you body adjusts (hope)-

I DO remember my uncle having the brilliant idea to take us to D.World in JULY (4th july weekend) when I was about 10- I STILL remember how miserably hot I was lol -but that's pavement and long lines you know? Not being at the water.

I know not everyone likes the heat-but I also am looking forward to your winters there- because it seems it would be much like our early spring or fall maybe? Our winters are miserable-and I get seasonal depression during the cold-hate it, that would be GONE living in FL- I can garden YEAR round to get my vitamin D

Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
It gets down to 30 degrees here in the winter. Leafs leave the trees as the Tampa Bay is not as tropical looking as Sarasota for example. We have less palms and more pines and oaks.

You won't be gardening year round, but cover your plants and hope they'll survive the cold snaps we get here. I had to wear my PARKA more than 10 times during the winter months and boots, and at DWorld too. That was in December, January, February and even in some nights in March.

Coming in July means that you will have to beat the rain to go to the beach. You'll have to go very early and hope for the best as thunderstorms start out of nowhere. Sometimes it rains for weeks.

There is always a breeze by the water, but housing by the water is not cheap. So, you will still be within 30 minutes or so of the beach if you want some affordability.

GA Sucks, we drove through it a few times and it is flippin' hot and standing hot. But like you said, its only 2 months out of 12...the rest is very nice. Have you visited the west side with the gorgeous waterfalls yet? I loved it. All around Ashville, and that area around Gatlinburg. Beautiful up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
I guess the difference is our hot/humid months are Jun through-Aug-normally by Sept are weather is absolutely beautiful!! So it would be like long extended summers. I'm sure we could drop some lbs before moving to make it more tolerable lol

I won't lie, I don't love humidity like Prius does- I have long long hair- it's like one big bad hair day lol. BUT I can tolerate it if I"m around nature, beauty, water, birds, fish- here it's just pavement and traffic-closest lake about 30 mins if no traffice (never). I'm sure you body adjusts (hope)-

I DO remember my uncle having the brilliant idea to take us to D.World in JULY (4th july weekend) when I was about 10- I STILL remember how miserably hot I was lol -but that's pavement and long lines you know? Not being at the water.

I know not everyone likes the heat-but I also am looking forward to your winters there- because it seems it would be much like our early spring or fall maybe? Our winters are miserable-and I get seasonal depression during the cold-hate it, that would be GONE living in FL- I can garden YEAR round to get my vitamin D

Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 AM

So, last week of July (28th) rain all day or thunderstoms (passing)- I have the option of going the week of 20th or 28th right now- issue w/the 20th it runs into a concert in GA my kids have tkts for on the 25th geesh....can't narrow this down! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay