Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 08:13 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,144 times

Advertisements

My question: What about the usual mom and pop stores providing employment in Hillsborough county? don't they deserve $2000 per employee..($6 million/3000 jobs)

Quote:
Next week, Commissioner Higginbotham and his colleagues will vote on more than $6 million in tax incentives for the company.
Link: Amazon considering huge jobs deal for Hillsborough County | wtsp.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 04:56 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,042,380 times
Come on down amazon!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
My question: What about the usual mom and pop stores providing employment in Hillsborough county? don't they deserve $2000 per employee..($6 million/3000 jobs)

I'm sure Mom and Pops get some sort of tax break. I feel no need to subsidize each an every rinky dink business which most likely will go under anyway (extremely high failure rate).

Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 PM

33 posts, read 61,068 times
Be ready to start paying sales tax to Amazon if they come

Old 06-18-2013, 10:14 PM

515 posts, read 1,347,747 times
Amazon and the big box retailers deserve more tax incentives because they will end up contributing more to the county and the state than these small "mom and pop" outfits ever will. Which mom and pop shop creates 3000 jobs? Which mom and pop shop has the sales volume that Amazon does that will result in millions of dollars in sales tax revenue? Which mom and pop shop owns a huge parcel of land like Amazon will own that will end up costing hundreds of thousands each year in property taxes?

The answer? None. If Amazon wants tax incentives and Hillsborough won't provide them, then I'm sure either Pinellas, Pasco, Mantee, or Polk would gladly jump in and give them up. Giving $6 million now will result in a lot more than that in the future. It's a good return on investment.

Plus, with their prices, Amazon and big box retailers are putting the mom and pop stores out of business. They simply have a better business model and sell things for less. I'm sure that very few people who complain about Amazon getting tax incentives would pay an more for an item at a mom and pop store that they could get $100 cheaper on Amazon.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:33 PM

I just drove past a new but always vacant plaza by HCC Southshore campus - it was built awhile ago but never occupied b/c of the housing crisis, economic problem that hit the area in 2009. I tell myself, this ought to be where Amazon should move.....then I see a Channel 10 satellite van and a reporter. Then I'm thinking - maybe a murder happened out there ----or Amazon is moving here.

Then I get home and check out my news website and see this....

Amazon eyes location in Hillsborough County - WFLA-TV News Channel 8

Old 06-19-2013, 04:04 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,042,380 times
Come on down Amazon.. we need JOBS regardless- people have to eat and many (like I posted in other posts), your all amercian "cable" companies- or orange colored hardware stores hiring customer service folks OVER-SEAS-- GIVE people jobs here-- regardless!! you dont have to work there if you don't want... leave 'em BE! you are NOT helping by always screaming about what they are building,,, people NEED to eat and as for the "mom n pops"- some will make it and some won't -but they can't hire the multitudes, pay taxes and improve the area...it is what it is... reality!

Old 08-05-2015, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 574 times
Default Paying Companies to Move Here Is Asinine

The big point everyone misses: The income stays at home; it isn't sent back to a home office far, far away. People with big jobs need the big companies because they don't have the knowledge, skills and commitment to run a business on their own.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:53 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post

Link: Amazon considering huge jobs deal for Hillsborough County | wtsp.com
No, because we Americans have completely forgotten what's important & what we used to be proud of. It's a shame really.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
No, because we Americans have completely forgotten what's important & what we used to be proud of. It's a shame really.
speak for yourself - I as an American am very proud of my country.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay