Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:18 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,087 times

Advertisements

By agreeing to the deal with Amazon, in effect, Gov Rick Scott has increased taxes on Floridians by as much as $800 million each year going forward. Granted not all $800 million is from Amazon but from all online purchases but you get the idea.

Quote:
It's estimated Floridians are not paying as much as $800 million a year in sales taxes on Internet purchases.
This is $800 million in Floridians pockets that would have remained in our pockets!!!

Linky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 08:43 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
You peeps voted the fool in so enjoy.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Your choice of thread-title is a bit unfair and misleading, don't you think? It's a bit of a stretch considering the title of the actual article you cited:

Amazon considering huge jobs deal for Hillsborough County

He actually rejected the deal previously because he didn't want to see these additional taxes. Had the deal died - he would have been under fire for that... Florida missing out on bringing business to the state, he's blocking job creation, etc, etc. There would have been a thread here criticizing him for that, maybe you would even start it.

This will put a damper on things for me, to say the least. I do quite a bit of online shopping. I'll probably phase-out Amazon to start.

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-16-2013 at 10:23 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
it will bring JOBS and revenue... Fla is dying

Old 06-16-2013, 05:27 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
As much as I despise Scott, I say "so what?" Why should on line purchases be treated any different than those purchased from a brick and mortar store? Unless the packages magically appear on your doorstep, delivering them still uses the state, county and city infrastructures that are paid for by taxes.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:27 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
By agreeing to the deal with Amazon, in effect, Gov Rick Scott has increased taxes on Floridians by as much as $800 million each year going forward. Granted not all $800 million is from Amazon but from all online purchases but you get the idea.
.......And we shall buy less, not "supporting" the economy; Economy=FAIL.

You can't really expect that low income people who are already unable to afford various things, and are a majority here, will support this!?

The question is this: Where, on what projects if any, will this money go too?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
This will put a damper on things for me, to say the least. I do quite a bit of online shopping. I'll probably phase-out Amazon to start.

Same here.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:38 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
As much as I despise Scott, I say "so what?" Why should on line purchases be treated any different than those purchased from a brick and mortar store? Unless the packages magically appear on your doorstep, delivering them still uses the state, county and city infrastructures that are paid for by taxes.
Exactly, not to mention the fact little if any money spent goes into the local economy in the form of jobs and additional income spent locally. I heavily dislike Rick Scott but this will enable local brick and mortar businesses to compete more favorably with online retailers and not put the state into budget crisis/cutbacks year after year with shortfalls in sales tax revenue.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
This is true, but one of the main reasons i buy stuff online is that I don't have to pay taxes on it. If I can get it just as cheap right down the road, obviously that is where I will buy it.

Then when everyone starts doing that, kiss the e-commerce thing goodbye.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 AM

443 posts, read 558,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
This is true, but one of the main reasons i buy stuff online is that I don't have to pay taxes on it. If I can get it just as cheap right down the road, obviously that is where I will buy it.

Then when everyone starts doing that, kiss the e-commerce thing goodbye.
haha, yeah right. people are lazy, and they will continue to be lazy. e-commerce is here to stay, despite the impending sales tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: