Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,452 times

Advertisements

My husband and I relocated to the Tampa area about two years ago from up north. We love the weather, the beaches, the sunny skies (we lived near the Great Lakes - very grey, cold and dreary for several months). We lived in south Tampa our first year and currently live in the Carrollwood area. While we liked the south Tampa area, we didn't like the price. Carrollwood is more affordable, but the schools are iffy (good elementary schools, not-so-good middle and high schools). Basically, we're looking to buy in the next year and we still aren't sure where we'd like to settle. We have a toddler so schools are very important and being a teacher and a product of northeastern schools, it's a top priority; "decent" won't cut it.

You'd think living in the area for two years, we'd have a much better handle on the area but I think our confusion has grown. We've heard about Westchase and yes, it's beautiful, but again, the elementary schools are great, middle school is great... high school - ehh. People say the high school is highly rated but it's ranked nationally as only a 7. Call me picky, a snob, but the town I grew up in had all schools that were nationally rated AT LEAST an 8 and were blue ribbon schools. So, when people say they're "good schools" and I see they're a 6 or 7 - it's not happening. However, being a teacher and my husband being a restaurant manager, we make a decent living but it's proven to be difficult to find a nice area that's affordable to us that also has highly rated schools throughout our child's schooling (elementary, middle, high). We like newer houses in the nice, "cookie-cutter" neighborhoods (I know, we're lame). I've been suggested Lutz for the highly-rated schools, but the little exploring we did put us off. It appears there's either run-down, old ranch houses or gated McMansions for $300k. We're around $150k. Not to mention, there's nothing there!

We were also suggested Land 'O Lakes. There's only a few pockets that looks like you can be in a zone for all 3 schools, but the little exploring we did definitely turned us off. It looked run down and, forgive me, but kind of "hillbilly." As we went more towards Wesley Chapel, it wasn't bad but we're used to being super close to a ton of shops and we'd have to travel to Wesley Chapel to get to them. Wesley Chapel is our top contender thus far, but again, you have to be careful to be zoned for the right schools (ex: Wiregrass High = good. Wesley Chapel High = Not). Plus, with all the foreclosures, it's confusing on if you're able to snag a good deal or if these areas are going to be riddled with renters or less-than-stellar people for a while and it'll end up being a poor decision. Also, in snagging a "good deal," are we going to screw ourselves by ending up having to pay higher taxes due to buying a foreclosure worth much more (i.e. get a foreclosure for 150k but it's actually in a neighborhood where houses are appraised for 220k)?

I should also say that while I did mention both Westchase and Lutz, for the most part, we're looking to avoid Hillsborough County as taxes and utilities are higher. Not to mention, being a teacher in the county, there's several things that I don't necessarily agree with what they do. Anyway, we expanded our search to some areas of Pinellas. We heard Oldsmar and Palm Harbor have good schools (again, if you are in the "right" areas) and are closer to the beach, which we like. I like Oldsmar but don't know enough about it to know if it's an area we can afford to be in the good school zones. Palm Harbor confuses me. So many people tell me it's lovely, but I guess I can't find that area. From what I've seen - it's dumpy. I went to the little downtown area and it's like 2 blocks and pretty lame. Some areas do feel a little like Oldsmar, but that area of Palm Harbor didn't seem to have the best schools (we're looking to be near the University High School and Carwise Middle but haven't actually ventured out to SEE those areas so maybe that's the nice areas we're missing?). A friend of mine's parents are renovating a house in Palm Harbor and I was excited to see it as I was thinking it'd open me up to a different area of Palm Harbor that I haven't seen and would give me hope. It appeared to be the same as what I've seen - run down, dumpy areas with trailer parks and then you might come across a random nice neighborhood. Not my cup of tea. Clearwater doesn't appear to have that great of schools so that's the extent of our Pinellas consideration as we can't venture much further due to my husband's job in Brandon. My husband thinks we should consider Brandon as well, but I'm not a big fan. While it has the suburbia I want of the big mall and shops, again, schools aren't that great and I just don't love the overall feel of it.

So, as you can probably tell from my rambling, we're confused and are kind of at a loss. I'm looking for some insight from people with a lot of knowledge and experience of the overall area to help us out and shed some light. PLEASE HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 12:39 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sllah View Post
My husband and I relocated to the Tampa area about two years ago from up north. We love the weather, the beaches, the sunny skies (we lived near the Great Lakes - very grey, cold and dreary for several months). We lived in south Tampa our first year and currently live in the Carrollwood area. While we liked the south Tampa area, we didn't like the price. Carrollwood is more affordable, but the schools are iffy (good elementary schools, not-so-good middle and high schools). Basically, we're looking to buy in the next year and we still aren't sure where we'd like to settle. We have a toddler so schools are very important and being a teacher and a product of northeastern schools, it's a top priority; "decent" won't cut it.

You'd think living in the area for two years, we'd have a much better handle on the area but I think our confusion has grown. We've heard about Westchase and yes, it's beautiful, but again, the elementary schools are great, middle school is great... high school - ehh. People say the high school is highly rated but it's ranked nationally as only a 7. Call me picky, a snob, but the town I grew up in had all schools that were nationally rated AT LEAST an 8 and were blue ribbon schools. So, when people say they're "good schools" and I see they're a 6 or 7 - it's not happening. However, being a teacher and my husband being a restaurant manager, we make a decent living but it's proven to be difficult to find a nice area that's affordable to us that also has highly rated schools throughout our child's schooling (elementary, middle, high). We like newer houses in the nice, "cookie-cutter" neighborhoods (I know, we're lame). I've been suggested Lutz for the highly-rated schools, but the little exploring we did put us off. It appears there's either run-down, old ranch houses or gated McMansions for $300k. We're around $150k. Not to mention, there's nothing there!

We were also suggested Land 'O Lakes. There's only a few pockets that looks like you can be in a zone for all 3 schools, but the little exploring we did definitely turned us off. It looked run down and, forgive me, but kind of "hillbilly." As we went more towards Wesley Chapel, it wasn't bad but we're used to being super close to a ton of shops and we'd have to travel to Wesley Chapel to get to them. Wesley Chapel is our top contender thus far, but again, you have to be careful to be zoned for the right schools (ex: Wiregrass High = good. Wesley Chapel High = Not). Plus, with all the foreclosures, it's confusing on if you're able to snag a good deal or if these areas are going to be riddled with renters or less-than-stellar people for a while and it'll end up being a poor decision. Also, in snagging a "good deal," are we going to screw ourselves by ending up having to pay higher taxes due to buying a foreclosure worth much more (i.e. get a foreclosure for 150k but it's actually in a neighborhood where houses are appraised for 220k)?

I should also say that while I did mention both Westchase and Lutz, for the most part, we're looking to avoid Hillsborough County as taxes and utilities are higher. Not to mention, being a teacher in the county, there's several things that I don't necessarily agree with what they do. Anyway, we expanded our search to some areas of Pinellas. We heard Oldsmar and Palm Harbor have good schools (again, if you are in the "right" areas) and are closer to the beach, which we like. I like Oldsmar but don't know enough about it to know if it's an area we can afford to be in the good school zones. Palm Harbor confuses me. So many people tell me it's lovely, but I guess I can't find that area. From what I've seen - it's dumpy. I went to the little downtown area and it's like 2 blocks and pretty lame. Some areas do feel a little like Oldsmar, but that area of Palm Harbor didn't seem to have the best schools (we're looking to be near the University High School and Carwise Middle but haven't actually ventured out to SEE those areas so maybe that's the nice areas we're missing?). A friend of mine's parents are renovating a house in Palm Harbor and I was excited to see it as I was thinking it'd open me up to a different area of Palm Harbor that I haven't seen and would give me hope. It appeared to be the same as what I've seen - run down, dumpy areas with trailer parks and then you might come across a random nice neighborhood. Not my cup of tea. Clearwater doesn't appear to have that great of schools so that's the extent of our Pinellas consideration as we can't venture much further due to my husband's job in Brandon. My husband thinks we should consider Brandon as well, but I'm not a big fan. While it has the suburbia I want of the big mall and shops, again, schools aren't that great and I just don't love the overall feel of it.

So, as you can probably tell from my rambling, we're confused and are kind of at a loss. I'm looking for some insight from people with a lot of knowledge and experience of the overall area to help us out and shed some light. PLEASE HELP!!
As you know by your research the schools with the rating you mention from k-12 (i am purposely restraining from calling them good or bad) are in the areas you mentioned South Tampa, PH, Lutz, and Lithia. I personally do not like PH but it does have some nice areas, my wife;s best friend lives in Pipers Meadow thats a nice cookie cutter subdivision. Although I dont think your price range gets you in the not dumpy part of Palm Harbor. You are going to have to compromise, I would investigate the Newsome high boundary maps, there are areas that are not in Fishhawk(its out of your price range) that will give you the schools you want, the bloomingdale area of valrico, there are going to be older style ranch houses that would be in your budget. In another note have you looked into magnet schools. Anyway Good Luck.

Last edited by DUNNDFRNT; 06-17-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,452 times
Honestly, the 150k is totally a guess. The realtor we spoke to seemed to imply we could afford much more, but our credit is not very good right now as we try to pay off medical bills. Depending on what we can get approved for now, we may want to jump on something if we can get a decent deal or decide if it's best to wait a year when our credit is back up and qualify for a larger loan.

I know absolutely nothing about Valrico/Lithia except that it's south and "nothing's there"? You're right - in researching the schools, they are good. Fishhawk definitely looks like a place I'd want to be and I did search where some may be in our price range; obviously if we end up being able to afford more then that'll be great. We'll have to make a trip out that way soon to investigate, but is there anything you can tell me about that place now? Thanks!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:12 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
I guess I am kind of shocked that you are a teacher and you are insisting that the only way your kids are going to succeed is if they find a top rated school from elementary to high school.

You may be limited by what you get in your price but I wouldn't knock Westchase out. Of course, I am biased.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
Being able to to get more in loans is not the same as being able to pay for more expensive house. HOA and CDD might be something around 300-400 per months for some communities.
All houses under $200 in Wesley Chapel (zoned to Wiregrass High) are gone within days - most for cash and over asking price. If you see a house on the market, something might be wrong with it (unrepaired sinkhole or toxic drywalls).
I don't know your house requirements, but I don't think house in your price range exist in the neighborhoods zoned to good schools.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 PM

877 posts, read 1,912,781 times
It is your price range that is really hurting you. Maybe look at townhouses?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:08 PM

552 posts, read 720,445 times
If you want to live in a good school district for 150k youre gonna have to not be picky about your house. Maybe buy a fixer-upper.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:45 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Palm Harbor = Really, really good schools.....among many other really good things.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
It is your price range that is really hurting you. Maybe look at townhouses?
I second this advice. 150K is not going to get you a house in an area with great schools. It will probably buy you a small condo or townhome in an area with great schools, just not a house.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:04 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sllah View Post
You'd think living in the area for two years, we'd have a much better handle on the area but I think our confusion has grown. We've heard about Westchase and yes, it's beautiful, but again, the elementary schools are great, middle school is great... high school - ehh. People say the high school is highly rated but it's ranked nationally as only a 7. Call me picky, a snob, but the town I grew up in had all schools that were nationally rated AT LEAST an 8 and were blue ribbon schools. So, when people say they're "good schools" and I see they're a 6 or 7 - it's not happening.
I completely understand where you are coming from. My parents gave me a private education because the public schools in our area in Florida were not that great. A school is only as strong as the area from which it draws, so if you can't afford private school then moving to a great area should be a top priority if you want your kids in the best schools.

Quote:
We were also suggested Land 'O Lakes.
I'd stay away from there if I were you.

Quote:
nyway, we expanded our search to some areas of Pinellas. We heard Oldsmar and Palm Harbor have good schools (again, if you are in the "right" areas) and are closer to the beach, which we like. I like Oldsmar but don't know enough about it to know if it's an area we can afford to be in the good school zones.
Oldsmar is a great little community. You would probably have better luck finding decent housing there for your price range than in Palm Harbor, though that's starting to change. Oldsmar Elementary is a great school, by the way. I know some teachers there and they are really top-notch.

Quote:
Palm Harbor confuses me. So many people tell me it's lovely, but I guess I can't find that area. From what I've seen - it's dumpy.
You definitely need to spend more time in Palm Harbor then. When I think of Palm Harbor, "dumpy" is definitely not how I would describe it!

Here's what I suggest:

Look into condos or townhomes or even apartments in Palm Harbor if you want excellent schools. Spend some time really exploring the area. Palm Harbor is far nicer than what you have seen so far.

Look into Oldsmar, too. You may be able to find a home there in your price range. Oldsmar Elementary is wonderful. I don't know where the kids in Oldsmar attend middle or high school though.

Also check out Safety Harbor. You will not find a decent house there for 150K, but you may be able to buy a decent condo. Safety Harbor has an excellent elementary school and middle school … probably the best elementary and middle schools in Pinellas County. I believe the high school is Countryside High, which is good, but it is not nearly as good as Palm Harbor University.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay