Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:04 AM

31 posts, read 45,540 times

Advertisements

From my research, BH home services is sort of on par with other providers. However, it looks like their WIFI coverage map is very good for the Tampa, and Pinellas areas. Their website says the WIFI service provider is Road Runner. Can you provide your experience using this service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
You can do searches and just like the rest, this will turn into a Verizon vs. brighthouse topic.

As far as public wifi (which I assume your referring to if your looking at a coverage map), Verizon cannot compete at all. Not only do you get access to all of the brighthouse public wifi locations, you also get access to Comcast, cablevision and timewarners public wifi in other areas that brighthouse doesn't service.

As far as the use of the service, its pretty good. The units have ranges of over 800 feet and throughput speeds are surprisingly good.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
I dont know -but my tv sound takes 10 seconds to come on after I turn a channel.., missing 1/2 of the conversation.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:32 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I dont know -but my tv sound takes 10 seconds to come on after I turn a channel.., missing 1/2 of the conversation.
I don't think that is what the OP is asking for...this has to do with WIFI.

We have Bright House for years now and although we have great experiences mixed with bad experiences our internet service an WIFI experience has always been very good.

We live in a bigger home and even when we walk in our yard we still have WIFI and all through the house although one room in one corner has a little less receiving but for a 3500 sqft home we believe that isn't any issue.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
You can do searches and just like the rest, this will turn into a Verizon vs. brighthouse topic.

As far as public wifi (which I assume your referring to if your looking at a coverage map), Verizon cannot compete at all. Not only do you get access to all of the brighthouse public wifi locations, you also get access to Comcast, cablevision and timewarners public wifi in other areas that brighthouse doesn't service.

As far as the use of the service, its pretty good. The units have ranges of over 800 feet and throughput speeds are surprisingly good.
Yes, I am looking specifically at public WIFI coverage. I like Verizon, but they have only a handful of spots around the area based on their own website.
I especially like BH's coverage along the Gulf Blvd. I hope it extends onto the beaches, so this would give me a true option of working (once in a while) on the beach.
Thanks for your input Tim.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I 've found that I don't watch much TV these days, the internet has taken over all of my free time

Old 06-22-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't think that is what the OP is asking for...this has to do with WIFI.

We have Bright House for years now and although we have great experiences mixed with bad experiences our internet service an WIFI experience has always been very good.

We live in a bigger home and even when we walk in our yard we still have WIFI and all through the house although one room in one corner has a little less receiving but for a 3500 sqft home we believe that isn't any issue.
Are you accessing BH public WIFI at your house, or are you referring to your own?
Looking at their coverage map I actually think that one can just rely on their public WIFI coverage in the Pinellas area.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:28 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBI View Post
Are you accessing BH public WIFI at your house, or are you referring to your own?
Looking at their coverage map I actually think that one can just rely on their public WIFI coverage in the Pinellas area.
Their coverage doesn't make it inside the houses by in large unless you are next door to an AP. I imagine the spots on the beach or highly populated areas must be a drip, its a discrete shared pipe not a mesh.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:30 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
They are constantly adding more hotspots too, Last time I Was at the beach I was able to use the wifi. It depends how big of a beach it is though, something like st.pete around tradewinds where its like a 1/4 mile beach area, its doubtfull itll be great down by the water but something like indian rocks where its a smaller sand area should work fine.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,161 times
I really like the Bright House public WiFi, it's so much faster than using my phone's 4G connection, and the service seems to be almost everywhere I go.

Here's a link to see and search for their WiFi hotspot locations - http://brighthouse.com/tampa-bay/shop/internet_wifi

I also found out that many Bright House business customers are also public WiFi hotspots. The public WiFi is a separate network from the business's own internet access so the bandwidth is not affected.

Last edited by petebull; 06-22-2013 at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay