Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM

323 posts, read 684,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Just hit our 3 year mark yesterday that we've been officially stationed here, 1 more year left Just submitted our request for change of base preference. It feels so amazing to move on somewhere else (hopefully back home), gonna cram in some good fun during our last year here since our son is old enough to finally appreciate some of the other things that the area has to offer (IE: childrens museum, disney, etc).
Well here's a preliminary "Tampa Bay/West Coast FL bucket list" if you will, of things (I think) you should do before you leave:

1. Swim with the manatees up in Homosassa/Crystal River
2. Visit Ft. DeSoto park, maybe take a ferry to Egmont Key and snorkle by the ruins
3. Rent a boat, if you haven't already (try the "deal" sites, we've done it a few times with good results...I don't, however, recommend I.C. Sharks off Gandy Bridge... but that's a whole other topic
4. Theme Parks, obviously...seems like you have that under control
5. Go to Spinners restaurant on St. Pete beach, it's a revolving restaurant about 9 floors up with an awesome view of the Gulf, call ahead to find out the best time to go to get great sunset seats (last I knew, they don't accept reservations)
6. Eat some gator tail...just because it came to mind and I doubt they have much of that in Nebraska lol

I don't understand the point of such a thread either (then again I don't understand a lot of threads here lol), but to each their own and as a former mid-westerner, I can understand the draw of going back home. It really is a whole different world down here and doesn't fit for everyone. I don't really see myself every wanting to move back, but I'm glad that it's in the cards for you if you choose to. Not everyone has that choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Well here's a preliminary "Tampa Bay/West Coast FL bucket list" if you will, of things (I think) you should do before you leave:

2. Visit Ft. DeSoto park, maybe take a ferry to Egmont Key and snorkle by the ruins
3. Rent a boat, if you haven't already (try the "deal" sites, we've done it a few times with good results...I don't, however, recommend I.C. Sharks off Gandy Bridge... but that's a whole other topic
5. Go to Spinners restaurant on St. Pete beach, it's a revolving restaurant about 9 floors up with an awesome view of the Gulf, call ahead to find out the best time to go to get great sunset seats (last I knew, they don't accept reservations)
6. Eat some gator tail...just because it came to mind and I doubt they have much of that in Nebraska lol

I don't understand the point of such a thread either (then again I don't understand a lot of threads here lol), but to each their own and as a former mid-westerner, I can understand the draw of going back home. It really is a whole different world down here and doesn't fit for everyone. I don't really see myself every wanting to move back, but I'm glad that it's in the cards for you if you choose to. Not everyone has that choice.
Gator is good, so are frog legs. Just do me a favor... before you eat the Gators tail, name it Albert.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM

323 posts, read 684,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Gator is good, so are frog legs. Just do me a favor... before you eat the Gators tail, name it Albert.
Dare I ask why? lol And I've never had frog legs...I'm not sure I could. I used to catch frogs in the streams back home when I was 6 or so...they had a nice vacation home in my Barbie pool. So.....how far off topic am I?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Dare I ask why? lol And I've never had frog legs...I'm not sure I could. I used to catch frogs in the streams back home when I was 6 or so...they had a nice vacation home in my Barbie pool. So.....how far off topic am I?

^^ Albert.

Eat him up, and Go Noles!

Old 06-24-2013, 04:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr10author View Post
I think you'll miss it once you're back in landlocked Nebraska. What is to do there for entertainment?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 AM

440 posts, read 595,541 times
LOL @ BucFan! Welcome to the Midwest!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
How old is your son? Mine is 2.5 and it is so nice that he is finally able to really enjoy all there is to do here.
Mine is 2.5 too

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
What a ridiculous post. Advertising in public a countdown until you get out of the Tampa area on a forum designed to help people with questions and guidance on how to get here?

What motivation did you have with this post other than to elicit posts like mine slamming you?

My son is serving his country in Afghanistan and he doesn't WHINE one bit. Grrrrrr!
So I suppose the post about a bumper sticker is more appropriate? My post is not breaking the rules, I cant help it you have no interest in it. Funny how you and other people say not to look at a post if you dont like it and move on, yet you dont take your own advice. If you read my OP, I said I was happy to take my son to do some of the things that the area has to offer, no where am i "whining", I"m HAPPY.

As for the post that I assume was deleted since I dont see it, there is plenty of things to do in Nebraska. I have no interest in beaches, so landlocked is perfect. Omaha has one of the top rated zoos in the nation with an amazing desert dome for when I feel like I miss florida College World Series, Art museum, childrens museum, history museum, lowest unemployment rate in the US. I could go on, but I"m not here to convince anyone to move to Nebraska, I could honestly couldnt care less if you dont like it or not, I enjoyed nebraska and I'm happy to have the chance to go back.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
LOL @ BucFan! Welcome to the Midwest!
x2! LOL

Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Those are all good ideas, i think i've done all except Spinners and the manatees. We're doing DeSoto next week with a friend, boat is not a huge deal, a family friend has a boat in Palm Harbor that we go visit every few months.

Had gator back in Nebraska, but not sure if it was the tail exactly - not sure if there's a difference of where the meat comes from It was like chicken! haha Also had some gator "sausage" a few weeks ago from our neighbor, didnt really care much for that.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Got a sister in Omaha and she loves it. My daughter spent a summer with her and said it was really nice. Time for me to visit.
Depending on the time of year you decide to go, let me know and I'll be glad to give you ideas on places to hit up. They have a *beautiful* botanical gardens place there that is perfect to visit in may/june.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay