Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 10:00 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,171 times

Advertisements

Here's some statistical data from U.S. News in case you are interested (from 2013, I believe). I picked 2 schools that are typically considered "good" by the parents in each county. Hands down, the northern Pinellas students are more literate and more college ready.

Springstead High School
61% are considered proficient in reading.
44% are considered proficient in math.
They have a college readiness index of almost 18

Weeki Wachee High School
38% are proficient in reading
36% are proficient in math
The college readiness index could not be computed due to low performance.

Palm Harbor University High School:
79% are proficient in reading
52% are proficient in math
College readiness index of 52

East Lake High School:
74% are proficient in reading
48% are proficient in math
College readiness index of 42
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,818,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Here's some statistical data from U.S. News in case you are interested (from 2013, I believe). I picked 2 schools that are typically considered "good" by the parents in each county. Hands down, the northern Pinellas students are more literate and more college ready.
Well, if that is the case I blame the teachers, as it's clear the students aren't getting proper educational guidance. It's not like there is something magical in the air or water in Hernando County that creates bad students.

Both of my siblings are teachers. The funny thing is where I lived up north (PA/NJ) that the teachers and teachers unions fight tooth and nail against any kind of standardized test scores or any kind of similar assessment having any kind of real meaning or being used as criteria for any kind of evaluation. Some districts up there are making real efforts to weed out bad teachers, but they are being stonewalled by the teachers unions when it comes to establishing any kind of criteria for evaluation. They just want to keep the ironclad tenure system in place.

So, coming from that environment I got a kick out of seeing a teacher citing any kind of performance numbers.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Well, if that is the case I blame the teachers, as it's clear the students aren't getting proper educational guidance. It's not like there is something magical in the air or water in Hernando County that creates bad students.

Both of my siblings are teachers. The funny thing is where I lived up north (PA/NJ) that the teachers and teachers unions fight tooth and nail against any kind of standardized test scores or any kind of similar assessment having any kind of real meaning or being used as criteria for any kind of evaluation. Some districts up there are making real efforts to weed out bad teachers, but they are being stonewalled by the teachers unions when it comes to establishing any kind of criteria for evaluation. They just want to keep the ironclad tenure system in place.

So, coming from that environment I got a kick out of seeing a teacher citing any kind of performance numbers.
What creates poorer students in Hernando County is a combination of the following:

Less educated parents than those in northern Pinellas. (There is a much smaller percentage of college graduates with children in Hernando County than in northern Pinellas.)
A critical mass of poor students (poor students outweighting the strong students).
Poor leadership (How many superintendents has Hernando County had in the last decade?).
Lack of quality teachers.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:47 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
Northern Pinellas: Good for them.

Quote:

Springstead High School
61% are considered proficient in reading.
44% are considered proficient in math.
They have a college readiness index of almost 18

Weeki Wachee High School
38% are proficient in reading
36% are proficient in math
The college readiness index could not be computed due to low performance.

Palm Harbor University High School:
79% are proficient in reading
52% are proficient in math
College readiness index of 52

East Lake High School:
74% are proficient in reading
48% are proficient in math
College readiness index of 42

Old 10-05-2013, 10:48 AM

It is also great for those of us who don't have kids.

Quote:
Pasco and Hernando are fine for retirees or people who don't need their children to have a strong education. I worked in guidance up there and still keep in touch with many of my students. I'm always disheartened to hear that they quit college because it was too difficult or that they couldn't get into the school they wanted because of their low test scores. These are good kids … very well-behaved and sweet. We're not talking about gang-bangers or delinquents. Maybe it's OK for them to work at Panera or Sweet Frog or Chick-fil-a for the rest of their lives as long as it pays their bills and they are happy.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Ahhhhhhhhh. Poor ole Hernando County.........
I had a feeling you'd chime in sooner or later!

The main point to City Data is for people to gather information, especially when considering a move to the Tampa Bay area. You are well aware of my mistake in moving to Hernando County too hastily without doing my due diligence. I simply do not want to see other people end up trapped in an area that they will regret later. Thankfully, my family and I were able to get out of Hernando County, but I know many families who cannot.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again … Hernando County is a good area for people who are retired or who are close to retirement. It's a good area for people without children. It's quiet, but it has enough to do for basic entertainment. The people there are nice and friendly. It has some lovely natural aspects to enjoy. It's a good area for someone who wants a lot of house for not too much money. It also has very inexpensive rental properties available for those who cannot own a home. It may not be posh or high-end, but it is somewhat safe in many areas. Hernando County is not a dump.

Hernando County is NOT good for young families looking for an area that provides plenty of opportnities for their children. It is NOT a good area if you are looking for excellent schools or specialized educational settings for students with any kind of learning need. It is NOT a good area if you are looking for your children to be surrounded by other kids who are motivated to go the distance with their education and training. The biggest difference I've noticed between the two areas is in the type of kids we've encountered. The kids we know here care about school and working hard for their good grades. The kids we know in Hernando just like hanging out and having a good time. The kids we know here are striving to do something more beyond high school than work in retail or at a local restaurant. The kids we know in Hernando are content living in government assisted housing or with their parents, having babies, and enjoying the benefits of WIC.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:31 PM

I agree, not a good place for children. Little activity for the tykes.

"The kids we know in Hernando are content living in government assisted housing or with their parents, having babies, and enjoying the benefits of WIC"

I tell ya, some people just shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

Quote:
I had a feeling you'd chime in sooner or later!

The main point to City Data is for people to gather information, especially when considering a move to the Tampa Bay area. You are well aware of my mistake in moving to Hernando County too hastily without doing my due diligence. I simply do not want to see other people end up trapped in an area that they will regret later. Thankfully, my family and I were able to get out of Hernando County, but I know many families who cannot.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again … Hernando County is a good area for people who are retired or who are close to retirement. It's a good area for people without children. It's quiet, but it has enough to do for basic entertainment. The people there are nice and friendly. It has some lovely natural aspects to enjoy. It's a good area for someone who wants a lot of house for not too much money. It also has very inexpensive rental properties available for those who cannot own a home. It may not be posh or high-end, but it is somewhat safe in many areas. Hernando County is not a dump.

Hernando County is NOT good for young families looking for an area that provides plenty of opportnities for their children. It is NOT a good area if you are looking for excellent schools or specialized educational settings for students with any kind of learning need. It is NOT a good area if you are looking for your children to be surrounded by other kids who are motivated to go the distance with their education and training. The biggest difference I've noticed between the two areas is in the type of kids we've encountered. The kids we know here care about school and working hard for their good grades. The kids we know in Hernando just like hanging out and having a good time. The kids we know here are striving to do something more beyond high school than work in retail or at a local restaurant. The kids we know in Hernando are content living in government assisted housing or with their parents, having babies, and enjoying the benefits of WIC.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:43 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,218,725 times
Quote:
What creates poorer students in Hernando County is a combination of the following:

Less educated parents than those in northern Pinellas. (There is a much smaller percentage of college graduates with children in Hernando County than in northern Pinellas.)
A critical mass of poor students (poor students outweighting the strong students).
Poor leadership (How many superintendents has Hernando County had in the last decade?).
Lack of quality teachers.
Money=more of the "right" kind of parents=more of the "right" kind of students=more influence with the school board=the newer schools=the better teachers=higher ranking schools. If the East Lake and Palm Harbor areas ever lose their gilded lily status, their schools will too. It's not like there's some magic elixir available only to them.

Personally, a gated community in East Lake or Palm Harbor would be the last place I'd raise a kid, good schools or not.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Money=more of the "right" kind of parents=more of the "right" kind of students=more influence with the school board=the newer schools=the better teachers=higher ranking schools. If the East Lake and Palm Harbor areas ever lose their gilded lily status, their schools will too. It's not like there's some magic elixir available only to them.

Personally, a gated community in East Lake or Palm Harbor would be the last place I'd raise a kid, good schools or not.
Can't argue with you there.

And I agree about the gated community thing. That is why my family and I settled in Safety Harbor and not Palm Harbor or East Lake.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I agree, not a good place for children. Little activity for the tykes.

"The kids we know in Hernando are content living in government assisted housing or with their parents, having babies, and enjoying the benefits of WIC"

I tell ya, some people just shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.
Well, I for one don't like working my tail off to support those who keep having children without the means to provide for them. Believe me, there are plenty of these types in ANY county. IMO, f you don't have a job and are relying on the government to pay your living expenses, you have no buisness bringing more children into the picture and placing even more financial burden on the system.

I realize this is a very unpopular view, but I'm sick of watching my taxes go up while others have a free ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay