Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,958,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
The problem with Brandon is it developed far too quickly without any sort of plan, or so it seems. It's a conglomeration of homes ranging from the 80 and newer where you can have a house built in 1980 right next to a house built in 2002 in some cases.

There are some planned communities where things are not this way, and they can be easily identified by the architecture if you're trying to figure their age.

There is still new construction taking place off of areas like Windhorst Road, but the arterial streets can be tough to get around during rush hour.

Brandon is clustered around Highway 60, which is a major arterial road and packed during rush hour both ways. That being said, if you go to New Tampa or Wesley Chapel you're going to see the same or worse due to construction and expansion - it will be just as bad or worse in the years to come, so take comments about Brandon with a grain of salt.

You might want to look at Valrico, such as Bloomingdale (East) and possibly even Fishhawk. Fishhawk will be at the high end of your range and a bit of a hike, but Bloomingdale will have a wide range of homes to choose from both in price and age. It's also a quick shot downtown and back via the Crosstown Expressway. I can get to downtown in 22 minutes in the morning, and a little longer in the evening (30-35 minutes) depending on the time.

RM
Exactly see how far you get in 20min during rush hour leaving from Wesley Chapel or LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,971,016 times
In any of those areas, be sure to have a sinkhole inspection before buying. Some builders were left holding the bag when they built on sinkhole lots. Just making sure you don't get one of those passed along onto you.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,557,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Exactly see how far you get in 20min during rush hour leaving from Wesley Chapel or LOL
Good luck getting off/on I-75 during rush hour in WC. Count your first hour at a stand still on I75.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,789,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyguy4u View Post
Thank you ALL for the great responses. Seems as if Brandon and Plant City are out. What is the nearest area near Tampa where a half acre + in the $200k-$250k price point isn't uncommon? I don't mind being 40 minutes away if it means good schools, and some property. In the meantime, will pinpoint my search to the Land O' Lakes area I think.

As for why I don't want to move IN Tampa itself, I have 2 small children.. and I want to stay away from city type living, with higher than normal crime, congestion, etc.
Where is the job in Tampa? That makes a big difference in where we can direct you to look.

I hate Brandon, and Plant City is not a realistic communte. Land O' Lakes would be better, but I think there may be some other great options for you depending on where the job will be.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:21 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,730,430 times
I never understood why people think brandon is horrible for traffic, as long as you stay off of 60, i dont find it any worse than other places. I usually travel via Lumsden/Causeway since that's closer to my house anyway (or Bloomingdale if i am going to Publix). I usually can get anywhere in brandon within 10 minutes. I guess rush hour would be the worst, but even that's not bad on lumsden.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,764,243 times
Quote:
How is Brandon/Valrico with the crosstown, worse than new tampa/wesley chapel for commuting to Tampa. Once you get to the crosstown is 15 min to DT if that, the new i4/crosstown interchange will help that even more, Brandon is also as saturated as it will get while Wesley Chapel/New Tampa still in build, build, build, mode making a bad thing even worse (traffic).
Wesley Chapel - Land O lakes have more ways to get to let say USF area (major Tampa Bay employer by the way!) - I-75, I-275, Bruce B. Downs (minor routes are SR 41 and Morris Bridge Rd). Now please let me know any other route opposite to I-75 if someone needs to get to USF area from Brandon?
That's what I am talking about

Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,958,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Wesley Chapel - Land O lakes have more ways to get to let say USF area (major Tampa Bay employer by the way!) - I-75, I-275, Bruce B. Downs (minor routes are SR 41 and Morris Bridge Rd). Now please let me know any other route opposite to I-75 if someone needs to get to USF area from Brandon?
That's what I am talking about
The OP did not mention USF, having said that no reason to be scared of i75 when you are reverse commuting.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
The OP did not mention USF, having said that no reason to be scared of i75 when you are reverse commuting.
I just explained why I think the commute from Brandon/Valrico is worse compare to commute from Wesley Chapel/Land O lakes. You asked, I answered
The problem with Brandon/Valrico area is the limited routes people can take, and anyone who doesn't need to go to downtown is facing I-75 traffic no matter what.
I don't need you to agree with me, really.
I just explained why communiting from Wesley Chapel and Land O lakes is way easier... because WC/LOL offers more routes.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:01 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,682,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
In any of those areas, be sure to have a sinkhole inspection before buying. Some builders were left holding the bag when they built on sinkhole lots. Just making sure you don't get one of those passed along onto you.
best advice on here, you can contact GeoView Inc. they are a specialized Geophysical Firm that can locate sinkholes without drilling, their prices are reasonable, and if you go to them directly you won't have to pay out of pocket to some Engineering firm.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
best advice on here, you can contact GeoView Inc. they are a specialized Geophysical Firm that can locate sinkholes without drilling, their prices are reasonable, and if you go to them directly you won't have to pay out of pocket to some Engineering firm.
Do they have PE in their team?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay