Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:12 PM

226 posts, read 810,491 times

Advertisements

Hello helpers,

I am currently living in Ohio, and I have a serious job prospect lining up in Tampa, and I want to get some advices before deciding on the offer. I Thank You in advance for your help and advices.

Let's start with the concern first:
1) How's the public school system? I know from NAEP Florida as a whole was bad, but seems like improving to average or better in recent years. Do you have any concern with Tampa Bay area public school, compared to where you come from?

And which public school districts are best among Tampa Bay area? I mean, objectively measured by Performance Index, or on scale or points.

2) I know there has not been a direct Hurricane hit in Tampa for a decade. But, I also read that the rains are causing flooding frequently! See heretampa-most-overdue-hurricane-city.

How do you prepare for the Hurricane & Flooding? Are you getting tired of it and want out and back to mid-west? Insurance cover it?

3) Talking about Insurance. How expensive is Home & Auto insurance for say a $300K house + 2 cars (minivan + accord) comprehensive coverage? I just want a ball-park figure, assuming perfect record in cars/house damage last 7 years. I had the impression many insurance company pull out of FL years ago due to Hurricane/Flooding and the left-over insurance charge mouth-watering rate!!

Maybe this can be combined with bullet point 4 below

4) What locations offer Flooding protection, plus best schools around Tampa Bay area? From where I am, my school district is probably one of the top 3 in the greater Columbus area but the property tax (school get money from) is probably the lowest among the top 5 districts. So it's sort of best Value.

By the way, based on my job interviews so far, it seems like Florida as a whole has some hard time attracting talents. Is it because salary is a tad lower? or is it Hurricanes? or ...? FYI, I am in IT.

My questions are getting too long, so lets just focus on these topics and we can chat more.

Thanks again Helpers!
Sean

Last edited by sftong; 07-16-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 12:58 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times
Hi there! As a future Tampa Bay transplant, although I can't offer you advice for down there, I can say that alot of your questions have been answered in this forum. Trust me, search for each specific question and you will get alot of threads and posts that are very informative.

I realize it's overwhelming to try to soak up everything you want to know, especially in your situation when you need to make a decision rather quickly but the more you read, the better you'll feel.

Good luck to you! You already have a big head start - a job to transfer to should you decide to move.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:59 PM

p.s. I think there should be a sub-forum for Ohio folks moving to Tampa, lol. Wow, I thought the Northeast had alot (my area)

Old 07-16-2013, 01:10 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
Hello helpers,

I am currently living in Ohio, and I have a serious job prospect lining up in Tampa, and I want to get some advices before deciding on the offer. I Thank You in advance for your help and advices.

Let's start with the concern first:
1) How's the public school system? I know from NAEP Florida as a whole was bad, but seems like improving to average or better in recent years. Do you have any concern with Tampa Bay area public school, compared to where you come from?

And which public school districts are best among Tampa Bay area? I mean, objectively measured by Performance Index, or on scale or points.

2) I know there has not been a direct Hurricane hit in Tampa for a decade. But, I also read that the rains are causing flooding frequently! See heretampa-most-overdue-hurricane-city.

How do you prepare for the Hurricane & Flooding? Are you getting tired of it and want out and back to mid-west? Insurance cover it?

3) Talking about Insurance. How expensive is Home & Auto insurance for say a $300K house + 2 cars (minivan + accord) comprehensive coverage? I just want a ball-park figure, assuming perfect record in cars/house damage last 7 years. I had the impression many insurance company pull out of FL years ago due to Hurricane/Flooding and the left-over insurance charge mouth-watering rate!!

Maybe this can be combined with bullet point 4 below

4) What locations offer Flooding protection, plus best schools around Tampa Bay area? From where I am, my school district is probably one of the top 3 in the greater Columbus area but the property tax (school get money from) is probably the lowest among the top 5 districts. So it's sort of best Value.

By the way, based on my job interviews so far, it seems like Florida as a whole has some hard time attracting talents. Is it because salary is a tad lower? or is it Hurricanes? or ...? FYI, I am in IT.

My questions are getting too long, so lets just focus on these topics and we can chat more.

Thanks again Helpers!
Sean
I can help with some:

1. No kids, can't offer help here, my little brother went to Highschool north of St. Pete, he said it was alright, my mother on the other hand said Wisconsin Schools were better.

2. A lot of people just drive up north, people will go to other states or move out of the path of the Hurricane before it hits, if it ever does. I worked at Circuit City before it went under, and we had a few close calls, a lot of people would run in there stock up on batteries and flashlights. Stores would sell out of a lot of food items, like bottled water, canned goods. Gas stations would be packed with people filling their cars and empty gas cans. Home Depot or Lowes will sell out of their generators. THE NEXT DAY WHEN THE SCARE HAD PASSED, everyone would hurry back to those stores and return it all.

3. Insurance will be based on a number of things obviously, however, you should shop around. I had allstate on a brand new 2010 truck and it was very high, 150$ a month, I moved to another state (PA) and it dropped to 100$ a month, it's high cuz I still have a lien on it. Home insurance is somewhat costly, based on where it is you live and what coverage you get, and of course who with, I can't give you an exact number but you should also shop around for this.

4. Look at an elevation map of the area before you move and pick high spot. I lived in Pinellas Park, it was at a higher elevation than the surrounding area and it never flooded once when I was there (seven years). The cities around there actually put poor neighborhoods in low lying areas, for cost reasons. The places that flood are of lower income and economic value. I wouldn't say there is a lot of flooding around the Tampa area unless you live in a very low topographic area or near the water.

I don't think your assumption is good about the talent. Florida as a whole, especially SW FL, is a conglomerate of transplants and transients. Many probably just end up retiring.

FLs cost of living is pretty low, and housing right now is pretty cheap, FL was the 2nd worst hit state during the housing bust, so many homes are going for cheap. There is no state income tax, no city income tax. There is a state sales tax of 7-8% and the property taxes are in the mid range. Gas is generally not that bad and food neither.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:57 PM

440 posts, read 595,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
p.s. I think there should be a sub-forum for Ohio folks moving to Tampa, lol. Wow, I thought the Northeast had alot (my area)

Old 07-16-2013, 03:35 PM

184 posts, read 248,637 times
Quote:
For sure, myself included!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUbrew View Post
Ha! You two were the first to come to mind when I posted that.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:40 PM

500 posts, read 1,173,907 times
Quote:
Me three...four? lol

Columbus here, also. Looking towards Tampa Bay in about 2-3 years.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:44 PM

184 posts, read 248,637 times
Quote:
Ha! You two were the first to come to mind when I posted that.

Lol, I can't wait to get out of here, but it's stressful though. I'll miss my family. It's a lot to think about.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Lol, I can't wait to get out of here, but it's stressful though. I'll miss my family. It's a lot to think about.
I would agree that has to be the hardest thing to consider leaving behind. The only thought/advice I can offer is that it's human nature to feel guilty for putting ourselves first. It's taken me literally years to be ok with doing that and not feeling guilty. Well...not much, lol.

If you do it and you find that you miss being away from your family, at least you have them to come back to.

Sorry that I forget, when are you thinking of moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay