Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 01:22 PM

226 posts, read 339,520 times

Advertisements

So, been anxiously awaiting the end of summer days...so we can get over there! This is the 'sell it all' trip to my fiance and sons (teens) so we can move to the area, I just KNOW they will love it
We will be there for 7 days-staying in Dunedin and trying to cover as much as we can. There are still many things other then the plan to see/do, but we'll leave that for our next visit.

So, I'm a planner and as such created an itinerary for us-knowing that things can change/days can change but this is what I've got so far...wondering if it sounds like trying to do TOO Much in that time for those that know distances? OR-should I reverse a lot of this due to rain/temperatures, etc?

[SIZE=3]Day 1: Arrive late am- lunch at Ozona Blue-pick up groceries head to condo, check-in..head to Honeymoon Island for afternoon/evening-grill at condo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Day 2: Pontoon to Caladesi during the day - afternoon trolley to Tarpon Springs dinner-back to P. Harbor for Strachan’s [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Day 3: Ft. De Soto day/ drive at evening to Pass-a-grille-(Paradise Grill/Hurrican/Brass Monkey) Drive a bit through stretch to St. Pete at night before heading back[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Day 4: Kayaks and fishing morning- Sand Key (can we rent jet-skis there? ) afternoon/Pier 60 and Frenchy’s evening[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Day 5: St Pete Beach day/drive through downtown area/ John’s pass village evening[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Day 6: Pontoon again to either 3 Rooker or HI or Caladesi again/dinner home[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Day 7: Early fishing and kayaks-checkout – Drive around downtown Dunedin (lunch Café Alfresco) P. Harbor/S. Harbor/Phillipe Park/Oldsmar back to airport to get to know area a bit-(flight is evening)[/SIZE]
The only thing I"m skeptical is of St Pete Beach....being such a distance. I really want to check out John's pass but not sure if I'd be happier spending the day at a less crowded beach again during day and then just driving there in evening.

Obviously day order can change-but is this too much to try and get in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 01:26 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,831 times
If your sons play sports (sorry, I can't remember if you said they did or not), you might want to drive by some fields so they can see how awesome (I'm assuming) they are. I know I get pretty excited seeing how fields are kept down there.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:30 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
You must eat here while in Dunedin:

Casa Tina Mexican Restaurant

And if you and your wife want to grab a local brew and listen to live music then stop in here:

Dunedin Brewery - Florida's Oldest Craft Brewery

Old 07-16-2013, 01:31 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
If your sons play sports (sorry, I can't remember if you said they did or not), you might want to drive by some fields so they can see how awesome (I'm assuming) they are. I know I get pretty excited seeing how fields are kept down there.
Just stay clear of the Tarpon Springs community fields (near Mcdonalds) there was a large sinkhole that opened up there a few years ago.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:33 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Just stay clear of the Tarpon Springs community fields (near Mcdonalds) there was a large sinkhole that opened up there a few years ago.
Thanks for adding that. I'd say that's pretty important to know!

Old 07-16-2013, 01:38 PM

Was planning on trying Dunedin Brewery actually-maybe a quick evening get-away while boys are pooped in front of tv (I'm the female btw). YES, the sports fields sound great!!!

I also thought of maybe renting jet-skis at John's Pass at Woody's or one of those- if we get there later in afternoon-Is there a lot more to see while riding around in that area vs. Clearwater? Then we can have a cold one and find a bite to eat there, etc.

I also want to drive near Countryside HS and P. H Univ HS so they can see where the schools are, perhaps drive by the mall (Cside), are there any skateboarding places near Dunedin also?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
Was planning on trying Dunedin Brewery actually-maybe a quick evening get-away while boys are pooped in front of tv (I'm the female btw). YES, the sports fields sound great!!!

I also thought of maybe renting jet-skis at John's Pass at Woody's or one of those- if we get there later in afternoon-Is there a lot more to see while riding around in that area vs. Clearwater? Then we can have a cold one and find a bite to eat there, etc.

I also want to drive near Countryside HS and P. H Univ HS so they can see where the schools are, perhaps drive by the mall (Cside), are there any skateboarding places near Dunedin also?
John's Pass is where it's at. Clearwater is nice but its chalk full of tourists. John's Pass is where the locals go, you must go to Bubbas Shrimp. Jetskiing is fun at both places, but probably lesser amounts of people and waiting time at John's Pass.

There is a Skateboard park on Ulmerton, 688 Park it's on the right side after US19.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 PM

Thanks, what I'm thinking! I do want to try Sand Key, and then just see the Pier 60 at sunset and try Frenchy's there..

Madeira Beach-is it nice enough to spend a day, do they have public restrooms and parking close to beach? Then we could do that during day and go jump on jet-ski's tour John's Pass in the evening? Bubba's Shrimp-how's the crab there?
What about those places w/all the reviews Scully's, The Hut, Bamboo Bar, I think Friendly Fisherman was another-or those are too touristy?

I'm getting SO excited, I'll have insomnia from here on out (like always but will be worse lol)

Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
Thanks, what I'm thinking! I do want to try Sand Key, and then just see the Pier 60 at sunset and try Frenchy's there..

Madeira Beach-is it nice enough to spend a day, do they have public restrooms and parking close to beach? Then we could do that during day and go jump on jet-ski's tour John's Pass in the evening? Bubba's Shrimp-how's the crab there?
What about those places w/all the reviews Scully's, The Hut, Bamboo Bar, I think Friendly Fisherman was another-or those are too touristy?

I'm getting SO excited, I'll have insomnia from here on out (like always but will be worse lol)
LOL, I bet you can't wait.

The Pass is pretty friendly and all of it was good to me, nothing stood out as being negative. Bubba's Shrimp has great grouper (FLs catch).

For crab I would highly recommend Crab Shack on Gandy Blvd., right before the bridge on the right hand side.

Almost all the beaches there have public restrooms and parking. You can easily spend the day there. It gets a little bit more crowded towards St. Pete beach but Madeira is nice, it's about 1 mile or less to the Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay