Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 PM

794 posts, read 1,859,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMachineshop View Post
My family is from Panama City. My Mom water Skied at Cypress Gardens in 1957. Florida has been Ruined by Northern, Yankees, whatever you want to call them, coming here for their "Pot Of Gold!!!" Period!
Ruined????

Please explain yourself with facts. This I gotta hear.....

Considering Florida is at the southern most tip of the United States, even people from Georgia are Northerners.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMachineshop View Post
My family is from Panama City. My Mom water Skied at Cypress Gardens in 1957. Florida has been Ruined by Northern, Yankees, whatever you want to call them, coming here for their "Pot Of Gold!!!" Period!

Sorry to burst your bubble but your Mom would have NOT had a job at Cypress Gardens if it was not for those Northerners spending their HARD EARNED money in Florida.

Florida was built with northerners money.

Without people coming to and moving to Florida I feel it would be just a piece of land with beaches.

Take out all that northerners money and Florida would be in deep trouble.

Florida relies on out of state money coming in.

I know many people who have moved to Florida and NOT ONE OF THEM came to Florida for any pot of gold.

They came from the beach, things to do, the weather and many others things Florida has to offer. No pot of gold at all.

Last I checked this is America and people are FREE to move around, since when does people like you own a state?

You can thank a northerner for your job and your well being because I can almost assure you it is tied to money coming from those damn northerner at some point.

Get used to it, many of us northerners are coming to Florida whether you like it or not and believe me as a Florida loving person I wont ruin YOUR state, but will be spending a ton of money to keep you and others who feel your way a job.

Thank a northerner! Without us Florida would be in very deep trouble.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:00 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Some people just dont have a choice... like us in the military.
Then why complain? Make the best of it. For god's sake, you got assigned to Tampa and you're complaining? You could be in Abilene...South Dakota...Del Rio...

If you join the military, you get what you get. You could be assigned to bases in BFE. At least Tampa is a larger city with nice weather, beaches, etc.

As others have said, if you only look at the negative, you'll find it.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but your Mom would have NOT had a job at Cypress Gardens if it was not for those Northerners spending their HARD EARNED money in Florida.

Without people coming to and moving to Florida I feel it would be just a piece of land with beaches.

I know many people who have moved to Florida and NOT ONE OF THEM came to Florida for any pot of gold.

They came from the beach, things to do, the weather and many others things Florida has to offer. No pot of gold at all.

Last I checked this is America and people are FREE to move around, since when does people like you own a state?

You can thank a northerner for your job and your well being because I can almost assure you it is tied to money coming from those damn northerner at some point.

Get used to it, many of us northerners are coming to Florida whether you like it or not and believe me as a Florida loving person I wont ruin YOUR state, but will be spending a ton of money to keep you and others who feel your way a job.

Don't argue with him. He probably reenacts civil war battles on a table top battlefield with little miniature solders hand painted to exact specification.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:50 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles1228 View Post
I came to the area right after finishing undergrad and enrolled at USF in the mid-90's and hated it. I was delusional, thinking it was going to be Disney every day or Miami Vice type of scenario. I quickly realized it wasn't. It has changed in many ways for the better as more new restaurants have opened up over the years, and different types of people have moved to this area. When I was at USF, it was a backwards mentality and more overt prejudice here. That was a contrast from anything I experienced living up north. However,this area has many great points. No way would I want to move back to Philly nor NY (the two other areas I lived in before moving to Tampa Bay).
My issue with this area is the cost of living, quality of the schools (now that we have kids), and difficulty with employment. My husband's business has plummeted due to the economy and our health insurance is ridiculous. My job doenst even give us that many days off to enjoy the great things here in FL. Worst of all, my family lives up north. For me, I think it is time to move, and that is my plan if someone will buy my house (which is depreciating in value as we speak).

There are NO jobs up north either. COL is cheaper in many areas of Florida then many areas in the north.
Businesses are suffering in every state and we are all being lied to by our leaders that the economy is looking up when it for a fact is not.
We are in trouble all over this country, not just in Florida.
Hope and change is what people voted for and what we got is no hope and left with nothing but pocket change.
Sad to see this country falling apart before our eyes and getting worse every day but then our elected leaders keep lying telling us how great things are looking.
Before you move make sure you research a ton because there are not many jobs up north to be had either.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:17 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,050 times
Quote:
There are NO jobs up north either. COL is cheaper in many areas of Florida then many areas in the north.
Businesses are suffering in every state and we are all being lied to by our leaders that the economy is looking up when it for a fact is not.
We are in trouble all over this country, not just in Florida.
Hope and change is what people voted for and what we got is no hope and left with nothing but pocket change.
Sad to see this country falling apart before our eyes and getting worse every day but then our elected leaders keep lying telling us how great things are looking.
Before you move make sure you research a ton because there are not many jobs up north to be had either.
Maybe we just wanted a brother in the white house. Did you ever think about that?

Old 07-10-2010, 11:33 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
Don't argue with him. He probably reenacts civil war battles on a table top battlefield with little miniature solders hand painted to exact specification.
While I am not going to rant about northerners moving in, I would say that many northerners that move in to Florida often don't do a lot to endear themselves to the natives.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:39 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
While I am not going to rant about northerners moving in, I would say that many northerners that move in to Florida often don't do a lot to endear themselves to the natives.
I didn't mind transplants so much at first but when the jobs started to dissapear and many natives like myself were then put out of work (only to have transplants come down and tell us how stupid or uneducated we were while they, with their bachelors degrees were taking $10/hr. call center jobs) I kinda lost my love for transplants and ended up having to be one myself.

The whole argument of Northern money making Florida what it is pretty much is crap, If Northerners had stayed out of Florida and people didn't flock here for vacations, The state would have made sweetheart deals with many companies and there would actually be industry and decent paying jobs in the state... Kinda like Texas..

Old 07-11-2010, 04:13 AM

10 posts, read 37,592 times
I grew up in Miami,Fl.....lived there for the 1st 25 years of my life. I hated Miami...so angry/expensive/no room to think......I had to get out of that town. I moved up to Ohio and I got great jobs..currently have a great job and at times I miss south Florida...but I would not want to live there again. My mom has a house in Islamorada and I love going to that house. I love visiting the keys.....But Miami...I hate. So I can't hate the whole state....just the place I grew up in that I have so many bad memories....Good luck to all of you.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:

You're exactly right there. If you don't bring that pot of gold with you there's a real good chance you're never gonna have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay