Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:44 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
So, then I'm guessing it is also the "Northeners" who are keeping this state in slave mode? opening businesses and paying nothing? Hmmmmm........
Slave mode?

You earn what you are worth.

Plenty of people who live in Florida and do not own businesses do very well.

Some, well they work for low wages because maybe their value is worth what they get paid.

Like someone else pointed out, if you cannot make it in Florida then you need to leave and take your skills or lack of skills somewhere else.

Those who do not make it in Florida 90% of the time is because they do not have the skills or value to someone or something to earn enough money.

Another blame everyone else for failing in Florida thread.

* No, most small businesses in Florida that I dealt with for years were owned by natives. And I sold to tons of them for many years.

So now we understand the natives only pay other natives what they are worth.

So are you saying someone working at a fruit stand is suppose to be making 20.00 per hour?

I owned a business and had employees and can tell you that 3-4 out of 10 people were NOT worth even minimum wage. No skills, no brains, no work ethic and so on.

You get what you are worth period.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The state of FL does not owe any thanks to the Northerners who came here. If you think that this state ever depended on the tourists you are out of your mind. Agriculture is what drove the states economy, not tourists.

Most Northerners don't know what hard work is all about. What Northerners saw was a better quality of life. That is why they came.

"Sorry to burst your bubble but your Mom would have NOT had a job at Cypress Gardens if it was not for those Northerners spending their HARD EARNED money in Florida. Florida was built with northerners money."

[/quote]

Dream on. Most northerners EARNED their money working in steel mills, auto plants etc. Don't even go there, you have NO idea what you are talking about.

Agriculture? Please explain and give me some facts so I can understand.

I would venture to say that Disney, Universal and Busch bring in more tax money for the state and all of Florida's agriculture does.

What is wrong with wanting a better quality of life anyway?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:53 PM

13 posts, read 20,617 times
i know this is an old post but the person who was complaining about $3,000 in taxes made me fall off my bed. Dude, I live in NY and pay $13,000 for a 2,000 square foot house. My school taxes are $8,000 and I don't even have a kid!!! I am looking to move to Fl... believe me....you have it good!!!

Old 07-11-2010, 05:56 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Slave mode?

You earn what you are worth.

Plenty of people who live in Florida and do not own businesses do very well.

Some, well they work for low wages because maybe their value is worth what they get paid.

Like someone else pointed out, if you cannot make it in Florida then you need to leave and take your skills or lack of skills somewhere else.

Those who do not make it in Florida 90% of the time is because they do not have the skills or value to someone or something to earn enough money.

Another blame everyone else for failing in Florida thread.

* No, most small businesses in Florida that I dealt with for years were owned by natives. And I sold to tons of them for many years.

So now we understand the natives only pay other natives what they are worth.

So are you saying someone working at a fruit stand is suppose to be making 20.00 per hour?

I owned a business and had employees and can tell you that 3-4 out of 10 people were NOT worth even minimum wage. No skills, no brains, no work ethic and so on.

You get what you are worth period.
You had employees? They have my pity.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:24 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Before tourism there was a world in Florida. Yeah, Northerners worked in factories at one time. Now those places are called "the rust belt".

In FL we worked in the fields. Growing fruit, vegtables, raising cattle and other livestock. Florida supplies a great deal of plants and flowers to the U.S. and the world. The tropical fish business has been here for decades.
You want facts? Do a little web searching and discover the economy that you are apparently blind to.

Don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about pal. Disney didnt get here until 1971. Universal Studios not until the early 1990's. These events probably pre-date you.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a better quality of life. That is why I am here. I wanted a better quality of life and I got it. BEFORE THE theme parks.

You said:

Dream on. Most northerners EARNED their money working in steel mills, auto plants etc. Don't even go there, you have NO idea what you are talking about.

I would venture to say that Disney, Universal and Busch bring in more tax money for the state and all of Florida's agriculture does.

What is wrong with wanting a better quality of life anyway?[/quote]

Old 07-11-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
You had employees? They have my pity.

Why?

Because those who are unskilled and are worth minimum wage should have been paid more just for showing up?

Many of them made great money, paid vacations, health insurance and showed up ready to work. The others made min. wage because they could only do the minor things that took no skills or thinking. Most of those would show up late, want to leave early, did not want to work overtime, weekends etc?

Min wage people are a different breed of people. They have no desire to become skilled or valuable to other so they can earn more. The truth hurts sometimes.

So you do not agree with me that you earn what you are worth? Is that what you are saying?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Maybe you should attack Walt Disney because for some strange reason he had a business idea to bring people together in a magical place where billions of dollars is spend and millions of jobs were created and paid for by--- People NOT from Florida.

Damn Walt Disney anyway, what kind of crazy business idea was that to create jobs and bring money into a state. That sounds ridiculous to me.
Walt Disney was all but ready to put his theme park in New Orleans, LA until the State of Florida offered him cheaper taxes and more land. Typically..

Old 07-11-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Before tourism there was a world in Florida. Yeah, Northerners worked in factories at one time. Now those places are called "the rust belt".

In FL we worked in the fields. Growing fruit, vegtables, raising cattle and other livestock. Florida supplies a great deal of plants and flowers to the U.S. and the world. The tropical fish business has been here for decades.
You want facts? Do a little web searching and discover the economy that you are apparently blind to.

I know the state of this economy very well and it is not going to get any better this the current admin running things into the ground.

Don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about pal. Disney didnt get here until 1971. Universal Studios not until the early 1990's. These events probably pre-date you.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a better quality of life. That is why I am here. I wanted a better quality of life and I got it. BEFORE THE theme parks.

You said:

What is wrong with wanting a better quality of life anyway?
[/quote]

Things change, get used to it.

Take out those awful theme parks now and Florida will fold up like a dollar bill. Can you imagine all the tax dollars Florida gets, the hotel tax, food, expenses, the jobs that are ONLY there because of tourism?

Just to explain it to you. Some natives for some reason believe they OWN Florida and the northerners ruined it. WRONG.

People ruin things and blaming just northerners is wrong and I think you know it.

Not of these things pre date me. As a kid we went to Cypress, Sunken, Silver Springs etc. which have been there for what 50 years or more?

Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
So, am I "allowed" to be here? Or am I yet another intrusive northerner, since I moved down from Michigan and only spent a month or so here in the winters growing up? Where is the line drawn? And why?

I can see both sides, to some extent. But I'm heavily leaning toward this: If people stop coming in, the state will be much worse off.
No one ever said anyone wasn't allowed anywhere. The beauty of this country is that you can live anywhere you'd like.

It's not my intent to offend people but you should look at my point of view.. Florida doesn't exactly have great industry and the jobs for those of us that aren't exactly rhodes scholars are far and few between. Every once in awhile you could luck out and find something that paid more then $12/hr.

With so many people living in Florida these days, It's pretty much take minnimum wage or someone else will, IF you can find something.

Do I have a chip on my shoulder ? Yeah.. The influx of people to MY HOME (and yes, I say MY home because "State of Florida" is printed on my birth certificate.) has made it almost impossible for me to ever live in my native state ever again.

Transplants don't LOVE this state. They love the low taxes, sunshine, outdoors, beaches, ect, ect, but they just don't know and love the history and never will. If a transplant gets upset or hates the place, They can just pickup and go back "home." That's not the case with many native Floridians.

I have to say it has worked out well for me, I managed to find great jobs in Tennessee, Louisiana, and Texas and enjoy my life in Texas.

Still, Theres no place like home.

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Min wage people are a different breed of people. They have no desire to become skilled or valuable to other so they can earn more. The truth hurts sometimes.
This is without doubt the stupidest thing I've ever seen written on this board. Congrats !

You don't care how or why these "people" work for minnimum wage but you don't care because they are a certain, probably low, breed of people that are here for you to use, right ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay