U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 05:01 AM

11 posts, read 13,107 times

Advertisements

Good morning....I've been seeing many posts about the traffic in TB/SP, I was wondering if this is a real issue or not to consider before relocating there?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 05:09 AM

8,704 posts, read 9,420,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate44 View Post
Good morning....I've been seeing many posts about the traffic in TB/SP, I was wondering if this is a real issue or not to consider before relocating there?

Thanks
It is probably relative to what you are accustomed to. For us, we have found the worst traffic by far to be in Tampa proper and the southern half of Pinellas County. When you get into the suburban parts of Tampa the traffic gets a little less congested and when you get into the suburbs in Pinellas County it gets even better.

However, I am sure different people may have different experiences and I totally respect their right to their opinions on the matter.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:34 AM

5,120 posts, read 3,796,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate44 View Post

Thanks
It depends I see a lot of people moving here from places with worse traffic problems with the idea of alleviating those problems yet when they are looking for housing you often hear "I am used to 1 hr commute so thats not a problem" which to me is a bit ill conceived. You can log in to google maps at 845 and turn the traffic layer on you will get a decent idea of the traffic patterns, do be aware the summer is the light season, soon schools starts and it gets worse then the snowbirds come and it gets bad.
As opposed to the previous poster I think based on my experience that traffic in Tampa proper is very light as long as you are not in the routes that are going to the major work centers. I imagine thats true from most places. Here is something to consider Northern Pinellas is heavily populated while not a major employment center like its the case for most suburbs, to me it seems that most of western Pasco county (NPR, PR,Holiday etc) also flows through nothern Pinellas to get to work, which is not the case in southern Pinellas or the city of Tampa. In Tampa you have the same effect Northern suburbs going south in the morning north in the afternoon. The Eastern suburbs are more rural and IMO lighter traffic. There is always the chance of finding employment in the same or adjacent suburb where you live then you will get to be on an alternate reality as far as traffic is concerned. But seriously I dont think the average commute is that bad that it should prevent you from moving here, as long as you dont have to transverse the entire area to get to work.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:45 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,425,540 times
It's only really bad during rush hour.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:16 AM

25,359 posts, read 14,246,983 times
The traffic has been getting worse, and the drivers are plain crazy here, they drive as if they own the road, (don't get in their way). I come from Miami where there are a zillion cars, and had more ease in movement even if it was at a crawl during rush hours, and you must be race driver other wise, but we seem to all go at the same speed. Here the roads and lights work against you and in winter season... the snow birds come and then forget it. I moved 15 min from the job now after 7 yrs of fighting traffic- personally, I rather drive in Miami than in Tampa anyday. You must experience it yourself, because you may be used to something else far worse. Good news,, roads are expanding and maybe they will fix the lights and add more mass transit?

Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,966,099 times
that's why it's very important to live close to your work if all possible - people that have to travel through the malfunction junction I-4/275 suffer, as well as those who travel Veterans and several other places including Clearwater, STP, New Tampa/Wesley Chapel.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:51 AM

2,727 posts, read 4,623,590 times
As others say, it depends where you will be working compared to where you live. I am about 14 to 15 miles and takes me 30 to 40 minute (including rush hour)

I put a question a while back asking people's commute

//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...mute-like.html

Old 07-18-2013, 08:03 AM

642 posts, read 905,623 times
It is a real issue, all the implants will tell you that "oh the traffic is worse up nawth" but do nothing to help the traffic down here which is just as bad or worse than alot of major metros in the NE. People will tell you traffic isnt "that bad" until it actually becomes an issue and then they will say "oh at least you are in paradise in traffic!!!!" . Ever had to drive home during rush hour on 275 and then it just starts raining, I dont care where the heck your from its just pure insanity!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 AM

5,120 posts, read 3,796,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
It is a real issue, all the implants will tell you that "oh the traffic is worse up nawth" but do nothing to help the traffic down here which is just as bad or worse than alot of major metros in the NE. People will tell you traffic isnt "that bad" until it actually becomes an issue and then they will say "oh at least you are in paradise in traffic!!!!" . Ever had to drive home during rush hour on 275 and then it just starts raining, I dont care where the heck your from its just pure insanity!
All you have to do is open your window the sea breeze will clear that right up.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:26 AM

11 posts, read 13,107 times
Thanks for all the responses! My office would be located in Carillon Pkwy and for the immediate future I would be living in one of the neighborhoods over by there; so the commute for the first year would not be an issue at all.

It's the future I'm concerned with...for example, I like some of the other areas such as SOHO/Bayshore in TB (among others in T) but that's the drive over 275. Ive heard some conflicting replies in the past. Some saying "if you drive out of TB in the morning over 275 and back in the PM, you're going against traffic"...then i've heard "It doesn't matter which way you go over 275, during prime time both ways are backed up"

how about from places such as Dunedin/clearwater.....traffic crazy during rush hour here too?

also, how about times......say leave by 645/7 in the morning.....4/430 at night, does this cut down on the traffic jams?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay