Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,335 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Tampa Bay area. When I was a little girl living in Town and Country I had loads of Latino friends. I never felt they were any different than I was, except they had better food! Now we are living in Safety Harbor. On our street alone we have a French family and a couple of Latino families mixed in with white families, and everyone gets along. My neighborhood isn't ultra-rich, but it is what I'd consider upper middle class.

Is there racism in Tampa? Yes, I'm sure there is. But in all my years here I've never experienced it myself or seen it happen to one of my black or Latino friends. When we moved to Memphis … wow … I had my first real taste of what it was like to live in a racially divided city. Tampa isn't even close to being like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post

Is there racism in Tampa? Yes, I'm sure there is. But in all my years here I've never experienced it myself or seen it happen to one of my black or Latino friends. When we moved to Memphis … wow … I had my first real taste of what it was like to live in a racially divided city. Tampa isn't even close to being like that.
Not in the middle and lower middle class areas like TNC, but in the "upper income" areas there defanitely is. And its not that old school "in your face" racism, its more of a subtle kind....the kind you can feel but noone really says anything to you.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:45 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
Not in the middle and lower middle class areas like TNC, but in the "upper income" areas there defanitely is. And its not that old school "in your face" racism, its more of a subtle kind....the kind you can feel but noone really says anything to you.
I'm still not convinced. Although I am not in an upper income neighborhood right now, I grew up in several. In our most expensive neighborhood (Pelican Island), we were good friends with a Haitian family and several Latino families living there. I never sensed any sort of racism - in your face or otherwise.

I believe Tampa is a pretty diverse community overall, and for the most part people get along just fine. I'm sure there are pockets of racial areas … perhaps in the more rural communities … but in general Tampa seems fine to me as far as racism is concerned.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:11 PM

296 posts, read 657,992 times
Quote:

I lived in Westchase for 2 years, this guy is wrong - I have never seen, heard, or "felt" any racism or racial tension while there. A simple look back at his posts will show you that he takes every chance he can to bad mouth Westchase. I'm not sure what happened to him there but someone is holding a grudge.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:37 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
Quote:
Oh that's right only "upper income" people are racists... as far as something "you can feel but no one really says anything to you" that's called paranoia...not racisim...

Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 PM

484 posts, read 760,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
I lived in Westchase for 2 years, this guy is wrong - I have never seen, heard, or "felt" any racism or racial tension while there. A simple look back at his posts will show you that he takes every chance he can to bad mouth Westchase. I'm not sure what happened to him there but someone is holding a grudge.
I concur. After living in Westchase for 2 years currently - I have never felt any racial weirdness directed at my mixed family. Everyone in our neighborhood has been exceptionally kind.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
If you have the "bling" and education etc etc you might be tolerated and even accepted behind the gated communities. But see some of the posts on TBO,,, and tell me racism is not alive and well. The things are said obut our Commander in Chief, then go back and read some of good and bad neighborhood posts right here on the forum. As I mentioned before, in some places, it's more economic and sublime racism in nature. In Clearwater, the old people think we are still in slavery days,,, hear them talk down to folks all the time. One told an employee NOT to speak in spanish to another employee,,- he told the old foggie, my constitution allows me to talk- period.-- No honey- be happy n glad it does NOT brush against you or your family,, it is a very sick culture,,, one to stay far away from. BUT it exists...

Old 07-25-2013, 12:10 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
That is true, I wasn't just talking about Latinos, since most Latinos do categorized themselves as white on the census. I dont know that I would call it plenty either.
You don't understand the census or know the numbers. There's "White alone", "White alone not Hispanic/Latino" and "Hispanic/Latino". And other categories.

Tampa has a larger percentage of self identified Hispanic/Latinos than the state of Florida in the census. And a smaller number of White and White alone not Hispanic/Latino, too. I would say that qualifies for "plenty of" in terms of math.

And here is the data the first number is Tampa, the second is Florida:

White alone, percent, 2010 62.9% 75.0%
Black or African American alone, percent, 2010 26.2% 16.0%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone, percent, 2010 0.4% 0.4%
Asian alone, percent, 2010 3.4% 2.4%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, percent, 2010 0.1% 0.1%
Two or More Races, percent, 2010 3.2% 2.5%
Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010 23.1% 22.5%
White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010 46.3% 57.9%

Tampa (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 08-03-2013, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,878 times
We live in pasco county in a master planned community. Relocated in 2006 from Long Island. I think you are over analyzing. The media made it a big deal when there is crime between races all the time. There is cliques in all communities, but i dont think you will see the race any issue. Tampa is a great area if you find the right fit for you. Many different areas for sure.. im a white girl but I felt like an outcast before I had kids in such a large "family" area.and spent a lot of time outside my area. Now I have 2 kids and look foward to the girls nights where I walk to a friends with a bottle of wine.
My husband is a realtor if you need help narrowing down your search.. He can send you listings. [email]Roberteatonllc@gmail.com[/email].

Old 08-04-2013, 12:52 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
I got news for the OP. The handle "iluvthedesert," if it means you prefer arid, brown, near-dead landscape, is going to be a lot more trouble for you than racists.

I hate the desert, would never live near it, and LOVE Tampa Bay and Florida. Because it is exactly the opposite of the desert--tons of water in every form (gulf, waterways, rivers, lakes, even humidity), green things growing everywhere, twelve months a year, people and animals and birds and fish in abundance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay