U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 07:02 PM

30 posts, read 32,468 times

Advertisements

Hi, based on responses from the list serve we're thinking of moving to the Old NE part of St. Pete.

We are looking for a safe neighborhood that has a community feel since we are a family with a toddler. We also like craftsman bungalows or neighborhoods with character that are walking distance to bike lanes, parks, and shops. Max rent is $2,500 for a 2-3 bedroom, and we work in the medical field (NP and PA). It seems that Old NE is on the water, but about 20 minutes from the beach though, and I would like to live closer. So my questions are...

1. Is there a place in Tampa that might fit our description?
2. What about Clearwater?
3. Can you swim at the beaches in Old NE?

How close can I get to the beach in these areas?

Thanks !!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 AM

35,319 posts, read 44,685,252 times
If being in close proximity to beaches is a relevant criteria to your move theres really nothing on Tampa BAy so drop Tampa off your list, and while on a map the Old NE looks like its on the water theres no beach other than a tiny bit of sand next to the pier. if you want beaches you'll have to look to St Petes western areas =
http://www.dolphinbeach.com/images/st-pete-map.gif

Old 07-21-2013, 08:39 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,441,750 times
Not sure if you could find a rental for the process you quote, but check out Pass A Grille neighborhood of St. Pete Beach. It's right up your alley.

The bay beaches here in Old NE are great for walking, playing sports, boating and paddle boarding. Some people swim in the water, but it seems a bit murky for my taste. It is more than just a "tiny" patch of sand, though. There is a "tiny patch of sand" next to the pier, which is downtown. Old North East has miles of waterfront parks and there is a moderate sized sandy beach with volley ball nets and plenty of space to lay out.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
It is more than just a "tiny" patch of sand, though. There is a "tiny patch of sand" next to the pier, which is downtown. Old North East has miles of waterfront parks and there is a moderate sized sandy beach with volley ball nets and plenty of space to lay out.
Heres all the beach areas on St Petes east side,
http://goo.gl/maps/OXA7C
Miles of waterfront parks? bit of an embellishment i'd say as you got the piers little beach then a bit further north Flora Wylie Park and while nice in no way is it measured in miles, the rest of the area is.a seawall next to Coffee Pot Bayou drive and then mostly private residences.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:44 AM

Thanks so much for the replies! Tampa is pretty much off the list. Pass A Grille looks really nice. Can anyone tell me more about this area? Is there any sailing anywhere around these areas?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 AM

Pass a Grille is the beach to judge all others by IMO its perfect, couple of nice restaurants midway down and while one side of the penninsula is all beach the other side is mostly boat moorings replete with large marina. Housing is all over the place architecturally from small little beach side houses to larger mansions to highrise condos.
http://goo.gl/maps/F34yW

Old 07-21-2013, 12:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,441,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Heres all the beach areas on St Petes east side,
http://goo.gl/maps/OXA7C
Miles of waterfront parks? bit of an embellishment i'd say as you got the piers little beach then a bit further north Flora Wylie Park and while nice in no way is it measured in miles, the rest of the area is.a seawall next to Coffee Pot Bayou drive and then mostly private residences.
It's three miles of waterfront park land in downtown and North East St. Pete. You are right, only about a half mile of that is part of Old NE. I was including all of it.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:03 PM

31 posts, read 36,978 times
We were going back and forth between Old NE and PAG - ended up in PAG for the beach, convenient marina for husband's 16 footer, and happened to find a house that fit our needs there - could have ended up in Old NE if found the right house, but glad we ended up in PAG. Can make it downtown for activities there in 15-20 minutes. Good group of younger families with a Montessori school - and they are organizing for a charter school for upper grades. Be aware there are a number of semi-retirees and more seasonal residents than you will find in Old NE.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:59 PM

Great info on both Old NE and PAG. Does PAG have parks and bike paths too?

Old 07-21-2013, 07:03 PM

207,583 posts, read 80,084,226 times
I prefer any beach from St. Pete north to Clearwater. I never swim at a Tampa Bay beach. Only swim in the gulf as it has the best water, the cleanest water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or