Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 AM

4 posts, read 9,608 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Florida from New York due to our house being destroyed by Sandy. I am used to living by the beach and want to find a location to rent while my NY house is being rebuilt and then buy when it's sold. I have an 8 year old and would like for him to be able to attend the best school possible. My husband just accepted a job in Tampa and I was originally thinking of Fish Hawk which is highly recommended but I am not used to not being able to see the water and I heard the commute is almost 55-1 hour. I am also considering Apollo Beach. My family lives in St. Petersburg and Parrish so I want to be able to live within close proximity and also not have a long commute to Tampa. I have not considered areas north and west (such as Westchase) because that puts me in the opposite direction of my family and I do not wish to live as far as Parrish. Any suggestions for a new master planned community, great schools, water views, not to far of a commute from Tampa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
In terms of location, to st Pete, dt, parish I don't think you can do any better than Apollo beach. It would be a compromise on the schools in contrast to fishawk. Other than that st Pete would be a manageable distance to parish and dt but you would be looking at private schools or magnet programs anyway

Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
Unless you happen to commute by high-speed powerboat or helicopter, there is no easy commute between Tampa, Parrish, downtown St Petersburg and Apollo Beach. They create a perfect triangle around Tampa Bay.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. Schools are a priority and I am getting the impression Apollo Beach and surrounding areas have some areas that might not be too ideal but I'll look there anyway. Harbour Island was also suggested as I live on the water here in Long Beach in a tiny surf town and apparently it has a sim. feel. Any advice on that area?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marathongirl View Post
Thanks for the replies. Schools are a priority and I am getting the impression Apollo Beach and surrounding areas have some areas that might not be too ideal but I'll look there anyway. Harbour Island was also suggested as I live on the water here in Long Beach in a tiny surf town and apparently it has a sim. feel. Any advice on that area?
Harbour Island is nice but it's in no way "surf town" oriented. There is no beach there and it is basically part of downtown Tampa (just separated by a couple tiny bridges). You will not find many surfers on the Gulf coast. The majority are either on the east coast or travel to the east coast from here.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 AM

Thanks...I should have probably clarified that by saying "small/beach-feel town" rather than surf town that I am used to. I know that if Cocoa Beach or New Smyrna were on the Gulf I'd have everything I want however I was hoping for a small town water-oriented feel.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:09 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Thanks...I should have probably clarified that by saying "small/beach-feel town" rather than surf town that I am used to. I know that if Cocoa Beach or New Smyrna were on the Gulf I'd have everything I want however I was hoping for a small town water-oriented feel.
You have several in the area. Just not in the middle of Downtown Tampa, St Pete and Parrish.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:

"Small beach town" & "good schools" don't go hand in hand here. Do visit please.

Also, isn't it a bit ironic that your house got destroyed by a rare occurrence hurricane, and you want to move to FL?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 PM

62 posts, read 86,342 times
will not find many surfers on the Gulf coast. The majority are either on the east coast or travel to the east coast from here.[/quote]

Go to any of the good breaks in Bradenton, Venice, Sand key, Sunset Beach or any other of the lesser known spots on a good swell on the same day and you will see hundreds of surfers. Sure we don't have the frequency, quality or power that the East Coast has, but it does occasionally get pretty good.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 PM

62 posts, read 86,342 times
Quote:
You could try around Indian Rocks Beach or Redington Beach, a small beach town feel with pretty decent Seminole schools nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay