Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 04:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I agree to a point. Big, empty buses are getting obsolete. But Tampa Bay is going to keep growing and mass transit (not necessarily buses) is going to have to be discussed as a viable option. We can't just keep cramming more cars on the road.

I don't disagree with you, however if we're going to have some sort of PT, then we should pioneer something now that we've been sprawled so much. People live in Land o Lakes and work at McDill...or St Pete...a slow bus is not the answer for these people. Let's be proud of something for a change.
We need something fast that people who work can use, and be comfortable in, and not feel like "Is today going to be the day I get mugged?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 04:09 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I agree to a point. Big, empty buses are getting obsolete. But Tampa Bay is going to keep growing and mass transit (not necessarily buses) is going to have to be discussed as a viable option. We can't just keep cramming more cars on the road.
Good to know there are no homeless or muggers on the subways/trains elsewhere. NOT!

Old 07-26-2013, 04:11 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
Homeless and muggers same category, good to know all this time I thought homeless people were not criminals.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:42 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Good to know there are no homeless or muggers on the subways/trains elsewhere. NOT!
Good to know the homeless aren't a problem without mass transit.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:25 PM

257 posts, read 470,077 times
I guess people who are opposed to mass transit will always be opposed to it. I'm all for it. No, it's not gonna turn a profit. Neither will your roads. But it will offer those of us who absolutely hate sitting in traffic for an hour a better alternative.

I dunno if it'll ever happen here. It's already late for it. Stuff like this is why I really shake my head about the Tampa Bay area. I gotta get back to a city where people have a sense of community and actually care about the direction and future of the area.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
I guess people who are opposed to mass transit will always be opposed to it. I'm all for it. No, it's not gonna turn a profit. Neither will your roads. But it will offer those of us who absolutely hate sitting in traffic for an hour a better alternative.

I dunno if it'll ever happen here. It's already late for it. Stuff like this is why I really shake my head about the Tampa Bay area. I gotta get back to a city where people have a sense of community and actually care about the direction and future of the area.
It's not about never wanting any of it. It's about being financially responsible. We cannot just spend current and future money on things that will benefit so few people, yet cost so many so much. There is not an endless money tree. Whatever is spent must be wise, efficient and benefit as many people as possible. There is not the demographics here, nor the layout for widespread mass transit to be functional to a capacity to make it a wise investment. However there are targeted opportunities which could work and are actually already part of a long term plan.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
quote ::However there are targeted opportunities which could work and are actually already part of a long term plan.

Ok and that is?

Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
I guess people who are opposed to mass transit will always be opposed to it. I'm all for it. No, it's not gonna turn a profit. Neither will your roads.
Roads do turn a profit. Without a well planned maintained road network an economy will come to a grinding halt. Roads do turn profit, roads are an investment. So do mass transit systems, when its viable.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:03 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I can't understand why nothing changes around here.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
there very little about Miami that I like and there's no reason to try to copy anything happening down there
You don't have to copy anything! Your on your way to being the next Jacksonville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay