Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 09:21 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Oh brother. Please put the Kool-Aid down and step away.
Because the whole "people will vote for free stuff" is not a talking point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Because the whole "people will vote for free stuff" is not a talking point.
It is reality for enough people to set the future outcomes. It is what it is and I am far from conservative on social issues, but I do believe in fiscal responsibility and having a business mind at the wheel.....which is why I support the DEMOCRAT mayor of Tampa.......on most things, but not all.......just like I do not agree with the REPUBLICAN governor on all things either. BUT I can see Uncle Charlie for what he is and he WILL campaign and win on what I said. Just pay attention to how he campaigns and what he says. Pay attention "objectively". That's how I see them as they are. I vote both sides of the ticket, because I do not believe in made up party platforms. I look at each candidate as an individual, who unfortunately is forced to choose one party or another for tactical reasons in order to have a legitimate shot at winning. Hillary and Uncle Charlie both win.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:34 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
You won't have to worry about that. Not that I agree with everything the current governor has done, but overall he has gotten the job done......if you objectively look at things. BUT because that means not always spending like crazy and giving out freebies, he will be voted out and instead people will willingly vote for republican, I mean independent, I mean democrat Uncle Charlie.......fake tan, lies and horrible big spending policies and all.

You will get your wish, no doubt. People vote for whomever promises them the most things at no cost to them. That is the new American way.
Going to disagree on the mass transit-- people have to pay a tarrif to get ON. A faster commute would invite even more people to C-Fl which brings revenue,, he said no- because it was political and in 9 out of ten his agendas are self serving- look objectively at whose making money on the long run of his projects, I give MUCH credit to the mayors of these towns trying to get things done than the GOV, He is in fact a business man but he is the STATES gov... for all the people and he has not taken account of that too often, Can tell you when he cut funds to the disabled community when he first got into office,, see what you want- and have every freedom to post - but I wont agree. Just like people who lived in the foreclosed - the banks now decided NOt to boot them out because the house stays in better condition. good business, but some be out with a pitchfork if they knew what the neighbor is doing

Old 10-29-2013, 01:12 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Going to disagree on the mass transit-- people have to pay a tarrif to get ON. A faster commute would invite even more people to C-Fl which brings revenue,, he said no- because it was political and in 9 out of ten his agendas are self serving- look objectively at whose making money on the long run of his projects, I give MUCH credit to the mayors of these towns trying to get things done than the GOV, He is in fact a business man but he is the STATES gov... for all the people and he has not taken account of that too often, Can tell you when he cut funds to the disabled community when he first got into office,, see what you want- and have every freedom to post - but I wont agree. Just like people who lived in the foreclosed - the banks now decided NOt to boot them out because the house stays in better condition. good business, but some be out with a pitchfork if they knew what the neighbor is doing
Well let's see now. I think both the mayor and the governor have done a pretty good job, though I do not agree with everything. I am sure if you look at the data, as I have, you would have to admit the governor has done some very good things. But maybe you are not interested in both sides of the equation.

Here is a little information on the mayor, who I support. He sounds almost like a republican or even a conservative: You know, the pro business, pro private sector, smaller government, cutting costs (government workers positions) type. He could actually run as a strong candidate in a conservative party. Why did he choose the democrat party? Because he wanted to get elected by the people who would be voting for him, who would vote only for democrats. Same guy, same agenda, same plans, but put an (R) next to his name and he would not have been elected in Tampa and if by some miracle he did you and others would be complaining about him instead of liking him, even though his agenda is the same.....but many people assume democrat equals spending/free stuff and republican equals spending cuts/taking away things. That about says it all about voters.

Tampa

"Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn’s agenda for business Issue. Growing the economy while shrinking government."

“My job is to set the table for the private sector to be successful,” Buckhorn says, explaining that his first goal is permitting and regulatory reform. Buckhorn says the city’s permitting and regulations “have been likened to getting your teeth pulled without anesthesia.”

"Streamlining permitting and cutting red tape, a key component of Gov. Rick Scott’s agenda"

How about that. They even compared his plans to that of the governor. Hmmmmm......no wonder I like much of their agendas, though not all.

The mayor seems to understand that mass transit needs to come in smaller steps.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 10-29-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 07:36 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I did not vote for Rick Scott and hope he is defeated next year. Personally I believe he belongs in Federal prison for the scam & fraud he pulled on Medicare. He won by only 66,000 votes over Alex Sink as he poured tens of millions of dollars to defeat her. Of course this is my personal opinion but let's get back to the mass transit issue.

His denial of nearly $2.4 billion Federal dollars to create High Speed rail network between Tampa and Orlando has seriously damaged The Tampa bay region regarding Federal monies towards mass transit as well as damaging the rest of the state. Miami is trying to expand it's Metrorail system & we even have a sales tax dedicated solely to mass transit for 11 years now & the FEDS keep rejecting requests us for funding regarding expansions. They feel under Scott as Governorship he won't support state funding for Metrorail in Miami.
The expansion of Metrorail to the Airport cost $500 million dollars and the state paid $100 million towards that with the transit tax paying the rest without any Federal monies.

We all know that Scott's rejection of the FED money had more to do with "poking" a "eye" into Obama's agenda and his "Tea Party" stance. This man does not care about what Florida's mass transportation needs but a petty and vindictive political agenda.
Where did our $2.4 billion for High speed rail go too? California & to the Northeast corridor to upgrade their rail infrastructure to get ACELA up to "high speed rail" standards!

If HSR had started in Tampa the area would eventually had to been forced to develop any reasonable rail transit in the Tampa Bay area. Wake up Tampa! Orlando is already ahead of you.

Sincerely,
A true Floridian who loves our major cities.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:56 PM

451 posts, read 933,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I did not vote for Rick Scott and hope he is defeated next year. Personally I believe he belongs in Federal prison for the scam & fraud he pulled on Medicare. He won by only 66,000 votes over Alex Sink as he poured tens of millions of dollars to defeat her. Of course this is my personal opinion but let's get back to the mass transit issue.

His denial of nearly $2.4 billion Federal dollars to create High Speed rail network between Tampa and Orlando has seriously damaged The Tampa bay region regarding Federal monies towards mass transit as well as damaging the rest of the state. Miami is trying to expand it's Metrorail system & we even have a sales tax dedicated solely to mass transit for 11 years now & the FEDS keep rejecting requests us for funding regarding expansions. They feel under Scott as Governorship he won't support state funding for Metrorail in Miami.
The expansion of Metrorail to the Airport cost $500 million dollars and the state paid $100 million towards that with the transit tax paying the rest without any Fedral monies.

We all know that Scott's rejecting of the FED money had more to do with "poking" a "eye" into Obama's agenda and his "Tea Party" stance. This man does not care about what Florida's mass transportation needs but a petty and vindictive political agenda.
Where did our $2.4 billion for High speed rail go too? California & to the Northeast corridor to upgrade their rail infrastructure to get ACELA up to "high speed rail" standards!

If HSR had started in Tampa the area would eventually had to been forced to develop any reasonable rail transit in the Tampa Bay area. Wake up Tampa! Orlando is already ahead of you.

Sincerely,
A true Floridian who loves our major cities.
I'm a progressive independent and I support the current president (which is important for the context of what I'm about to say). I also supported the high speed rail plans between Tampa/Orlando/Miami, and the federal investment to get that done. Naturally, I think Rick Scott is a fool and he's done some serious damage to the state of Florida.

However, to be fair, the $2+ Billion federal investment in the high speed rail system was, in essence, an attempt to buy re-election. The I-4 corridor is one of the most politically important regions in the entire United States, the swing region of a swing state that has decided presidential elections in our lifetime. The High Speed Rail investment would have spent billions in this region and virtually sewn up the state's electoral votes in 2012.

He didn't end up needing that, but politically, it wouldn't have only been the Tea Party clowns that would have been upset with Rick Scott. It would have been the entire Republican establishment in every corner of the country outside of the I4 corridor. Approving that deal was virtually impossible for Scott. That doesn't make it right. There are things a lot more important than politics in this world, and the best thing for Tampa and the state of Florida would have been to accept that deal. But because of the ugly, entrenched, even fatalistic influence of politics in this country, the deal was dead before our president even offered it.

Rick Scott has been so bad it makes me wonder if he's really some kind of performance artist. But politically, yeah he would have been crazy to accept that deal. It sure sucks, because it was a great opportunity for Florida.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
I'm a progressive independent and I support the current president (which is important for the context of what I'm about to say). I also supported the high speed rail plans between Tampa/Orlando/Miami, and the federal investment to get that done. Naturally, I think Rick Scott is a fool and he's done some serious damage to the state of Florida.

However, to be fair, the $2+ Billion federal investment in the high speed rail system was, in essence, an attempt to buy re-election. The I-4 corridor is one of the most politically important regions in the entire United States, the swing region of a swing state that has decided presidential elections in our lifetime. The High Speed Rail investment would have spent billions in this region and virtually sewn up the state's electoral votes in 2012.

He didn't end up needing that, but politically, it wouldn't have only been the Tea Party clowns that would have been upset with Rick Scott. It would have been the entire Republican establishment in every corner of the country outside of the I4 corridor. Approving that deal was virtually impossible for Scott. That doesn't make it right. There are things a lot more important than politics in this world, and the best thing for Tampa and the state of Florida would have been to accept that deal. But because of the ugly, entrenched, even fatalistic influence of politics in this country, the deal was dead before our president even offered it.

Rick Scott has been so bad it makes me wonder if he's really some kind of performance artist. But politically, yeah he would have been crazy to accept that deal. It sure sucks, because it was a great opportunity for Florida.
The only disagreement I have with you is that the High Speed rail project between Tampa & Orlando had been called as a "shovel ready project" with a "state "right of way on I-4 already in place.
Obama didn't have to "dangle "carrots" to Florida to win re-election. He won the largest votes in Florida to begin with in any of his Presidential elections.
What is weird about Scott is that he gave millions of dollars to the Port of Miami to dredge the ship channel to 50 feet so we can compete and accept those super huge Panamex cargo ships coming with the deepening of the Panama Canal plus a $1 billion dollar Tunnel under the Port to for cargo trucks to get
unto a expressway by passing downtown streets.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:58 AM

451 posts, read 933,366 times
Quote:
The only disagreement I have with you is that the High Speed rail project between Tampa & Orlando had been called as a "shovel ready project" with a "state "right of way on I-4 already in place.
You're not disagreeing with me at all. I'm aware of the turnkey nature of the project and how, in stark contrast to the obstacles ahead of the California project, Florida's HSR spaces are pretty much paved and paid for.

Quote:
Obama didn't have to "dangle "carrots" to Florida to win re-election. He won the largest votes in Florida to begin with in any of his Presidential elections.
No doubt. But his re-election was far from a certainty when Scott declined the rail deal. The electoral map had just been completely shaken up a few months earlier in the 2010 election, and Dems had lost a lot of political capital. Had Scott approved the deal, the Rebubs might as well have moved their RNC to another state.

(and again, I was very much in support of the rail deal, and I'm in no way absolving Scott of the failure here, but the political game was much more consequential than just Scott's ties to the tea party)

Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Gov. Scott said if such a profitable proposition than let the private sector build it. Well now there's a private company building a high speed train from Miami to Orlando.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:47 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
I'm a progressive independent and I support the current president (which is important for the context of what I'm about to say). I also supported the high speed rail plans between Tampa/Orlando/Miami, and the federal investment to get that done. ... However, to be fair, the $2+ Billion federal investment in the high speed rail system was, in essence, an attempt to buy re-election. ... It sure sucks, because it was a great opportunity for Florida.
Buying votes, but also big differences re economic theory. Obama believes the government creating short term construction jobs is good way to get out of a recession; Scott believes the opposite. Maybe this is just me trying to rationalize a benign scenario, but I do think that philosophical opposition was really important to the decision-making process for both men.

Anyway, I never saw value in the Tampa-Orlando high speed line. It would have shaved, what, 15 minutes off of the existing (low speed) rail line? Amtrak doesn't run that frequently right now, but that's because demand is so low. And low demand speaks to the bigger issue -- driving would still be faster and more convenient since both cities are bad for local public transportation.

On the other hand, I'd love a better way to get to Miami. That's a long, crappy drive; a high speed train should be much faster and Miami has good enough public transportation to get from the station to where you're going conveniently/cheaply. Of course, for the Orlando-Miami high speed train that seems to have some private money support, they're talking about $100 each way. At that price, I'd probably fly. And, if the train to Miami is through Orlando, that's probably not so much faster than driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay