Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,565,189 times

Advertisements

St. Petersburg dock owner sued by state over land has huge implications | wtsp.com

ST. PETERSBURG, Florida -- The State of Florida has filed suit against a local property owner, claiming his land -- bought and sold in accordance with local laws since 1883 -- has actually belonged to the state since 1845. The case could set monumental precedent that wouldn't just affect residents of the city, but property owners statewide.

Rick Ware doesn't live on St. Petersburg's Snell Island, but he owns property there: a 1,000-square-foot dock on the edge of Coffee Pot Bayou.

Ware, who paid $142,500 for the waterfront property in 2008, is one of 83 owners who have bought the docks as individual parcels. Some of the lots have been owned by families since 1883.

But Attorney General Pam Bondi, retained as counsel for the DEP, filed this complaint alleging Ware's dock was built on navigable waterways, making it sovereign land and state property. The state seeks to invalidate Ware's deed.
--------------------------------------

Click on the link to read further where they discuss how titles can become clouded and properties hard to sell and how this can affect other waterfront properties in the Tampa Bay area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 01:35 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,769,405 times
Honestly I am suprised state filed the lawsuit...

Old 07-31-2013, 03:56 PM

4,974 posts, read 7,166,015 times
Typical Tallahassee. They won't be happy until every county and city is crushed under their boot. So much for their "small, limited government" mantra.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 PM

35,370 posts, read 20,747,842 times
greedy folks... I saw a few more articles RE the BIG guy taking the little guy to the cleaners this week,,, UGHH -people in power no longer have common sense or respect

Old 08-01-2013, 06:32 AM

641 posts, read 1,016,020 times
first the Federal government, now state...soon Pinellas county will be tapping your phone and stealing your land...the police already have TANKS!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:08 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,769,405 times
I still don't understand why it's happening... Why state wants that piece of land back... And what about adverse possession or whatever it calls when someone takes care of the piece of land and pay taxes for certain number of years after which can claim ownership?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:46 AM

6,592 posts, read 4,963,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I still don't understand why it's happening... Why state wants that piece of land back... And what about adverse possession or whatever it calls when someone takes care of the piece of land and pay taxes for certain number of years after which can claim ownership?
I don't quite get it, so is it that the land is flooded and the owner build a dock on the land which is now over water so that is considered navigable waterway as opposed to land parcel, or I am way off base. I guess I never thought about if you own a waterfront property how much of the water in front of the house is yours, I would have thought none but i do see docks all the time do they have to be anchored to our property.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:04 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,273,995 times
Huge implications? Yeah, maybe for those 83 people who own docks in Coffee Pot Bayou (which is public land connected to a public seawall next to public waterways).

The rest of us with docks have easements, not a separate deed for the dock.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:29 PM

35,370 posts, read 20,747,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Huge implications? Yeah, maybe for those 83 people who own docks in Coffee Pot Bayou (which is public land connected to a public seawall next to public waterways).

ahh,,, so should they lose what they paid for a long time ago even though ist was done correctly at the time..

Old 08-01-2013, 04:50 PM

4,974 posts, read 7,166,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post

"...the state's case could jeopardize ANY property ownership over the water."

Unless your dock is over unnavigable waters, the state may have a claim to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay