Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 AM

15 posts, read 16,366 times

Advertisements

We are moving very soon to the westchase area. While excited to move, I am going to miss my current bookclub. Anyone know of a bookclub who would like a member or where to find one?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 AM

877 posts, read 1,912,515 times
Check out meetup.com. They have most of the bookclubs in the area on there.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times
If one doesn't exist, you may find that you could very easily start one up yourself. One of the yoga studious near me started one and each new book is voted on (from several choices) for the next read.

Also check with your local library - they might know of one as well.

I would suggest asking a book store too but if anything like up here, they are going out of business and you may have to search for a mom and pop type place

Old 08-01-2013, 10:26 AM

Thanks everyone. I found a book club on there that looks good. I may need to wait for their Sept. meeting before I start, due to the date of our move. But I found another group I'm going to check out too.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills2beach View Post
Thanks everyone. I found a book club on there that looks good. I may need to wait for their Sept. meeting before I start, due to the date of our move. But I found another group I'm going to check out too.
I've never belonged to a bookclub but thought about it.

What is the proper etiquette - meaning, what if the chosen book is something you have no intererst in reading? What then? Can you politely opt out or if you are a member, are you expected to read what's chosen?

Old 08-01-2013, 02:12 PM

I started a bookclub in my current area and these are the rules.
1. We rotate members picking the book.
2. If you picked the book, you pick where we meet to discuss the book and the time.
3 You can still come to the meeting if you did not read the book, but be prepared for spoilers.

We have read the spectrum of books. And that is what I like about the group. I've read a lot of books I would not have picked normally. The most stressful part is when it is your turn to pick because you don't want to be the person who picks a dud. I think for me the club is a social gathering with books tossed in.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:53 PM

Thanks for explaining

Maybe one of these days I'll give it a try. I'm terrible though, I pick up a book, put it down and there it stays. Yet there are a few books I've read over and over and over again.

Maybe I should start with comics first?

Old 08-02-2013, 06:27 AM

My husband is really into comic books. He has a huge collection and he is always wanting me to read them. I just can't do it. The story lines go on forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay