Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM

226 posts, read 807,202 times

Advertisements

Hello Helpers,

I am looking to move to Tampa someday, from Ohio. As my potential job is in downtown St Petersburg, I wonder if there is a city or particularly a community that offer best elementary through High school, and within 30min drive from St Pete?

Based on the info I dig so far, seems like the schools in Tampa/Florida are sort of disjointed -- i.e. great elementary but probably bad middle/high school. I don't want to keep moving.

I am budgeting $300K ~ $350K house, hopefully no pool and away from Flood zone. Thanks!!

Alternatively, I can accept luxury condo with 3 bedrooms, if that's a good way to get away from pool maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 PM

6,583 posts, read 4,958,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
Hello Helpers,

I am looking to move to Tampa someday, from Ohio. As my potential job is in downtown St Petersburg, I wonder if there is a city or particularly a community that offer best elementary through High school, and within 30min drive from St Pete?

Based on the info I dig so far, seems like the schools in Tampa/Florida are sort of disjointed -- i.e. great elementary but probably bad middle/high school. I don't want to keep moving.

I am budgeting $300K ~ $350K house, hopefully no pool and away from Flood zone. Thanks!!
South Tampa. 33629 or 33609, you can probably look in 33606 as well but its pushing your 20 min.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
South Tampa. 33629 or 33609, you can probably look in 33606 as well but its pushing your 20 min.
Thanks Dunn.

Wow ... 33629 and 33609 Zip has all houses that look like Old Crap for $350K! What a sticker shock to me.

Also, based on crime reports https://www.crimereports.com/ 33609 has many sex offenders living around. But both zips have way tooo many sex offenders. Is that a Florida thingy?

In Ohio $300K communities, I see extremely few sex offenders. like 20% of zip 33629.

So South Tamp is really about Location + Great schools huh?! But hold on, I just check GreatSchools.Org on South Tampa http://www.greatschools.org/search/s...Tampa&state=FL and it seems like there is no school in South Tampa, or they are all crap?!

Explanation please .... Thanks!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:11 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,590,674 times
When you compare sex offender stats, make sure you are looking at population density as well. Florida does not have any more than other places.

There are many very good schools near St. Pete. Most of them are magnets, which on the upside means it doesn't matter where you live, but on the downside there is no guarantee you'll get the school you want right away.

Away from a flood zone might be difficult. What size home are you looking for?

Having said all that, you don't seem like you are too excited about moving here. Maybe you should look at other places as well, if that's a possibility.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:37 PM

6,583 posts, read 4,958,037 times
Quote:
Thanks Dunn.

Wow ... 33629 and 33609 Zip has all houses that look like Old Crap for $350K! What a sticker shock to me.

Also, based on crime reports https://www.crimereports.com/ 33609 has many sex offenders living around. But both zips have way tooo many sex offenders. Is that a Florida thingy?

In Ohio $300K communities, I see extremely few sex offenders. like 20% of zip 33629.

So South Tamp is really about Location + Great schools huh?! But hold on, I just check GreatSchools.Org on South Tampa GreatSchools.org Search: South Tampa and it seems like there is no school in South Tampa, or they are all crap?!

Explanation please .... Thanks!
South Tampa is not a town but an area of the city of tampa, basically south of Kennedy boulevard and north of Euclid. A good rule of thumb is to look at the boundaries for Plant High School.
http://www.sdhc.k12.fl.us/schools/bound/3411.pdf

http://www.greatschools.org/search/s...33609&state=FL
http://www.greatschools.org/search/s...33629&state=FL

You basically have in Elementary in my order of preference which they all ranked pretty high, Roosevelt, Mabry, Mitchell, Gorrie and Grady. Middle schools are Coleman and Wilson, and you have 1 high school Plant High School. Of note would be Gorrie Elementary and Wilson Middle are next to each other so is Mabry and Coleman which is convenient if you have kids at both schools.
I dont know about the sex offender thing, I think part of it is Florida does a good job registering and keeping tabs on sex offenders. Part of 33609 albeit a few blocks is lower income (north of kennedy) and home median prices are probably closer to 150k, that might account for your statistical anomaly.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:03 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,062,539 times
If you are working in St Pete, why live in Tampa - makes sense to stay west side ofBridges

Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
If you are working in St Pete, why live in Tampa - makes sense to stay west side ofBridges
No flood zones + Great schools in St Pete? Which part? All I heard is flooding in SP.

Thanks

Last edited by sftong; 08-02-2013 at 03:37 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
There are many very good schools near St. Pete. Most of them are magnets, ..

Away from a flood zone might be difficult. What size home are you looking for?
Very good schools -- can you list a few elementary ~ Middle ~ High in South Tampa area? Are they scoring at least 8 on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community ? All elementary/middle/high around my community score 10 in Ohio. I don't ask for perfect school, but 8 is the least I can accept.

Looking for 2400 ~ 3xxx sqft home. No flood or crime area.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2013, 04:30 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,590,674 times
Quote:
Very good schools -- can you list a few elementary ~ Middle ~ High in South Tampa area? Are they scoring at least 8 on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community ? All elementary/middle/high around my community score 10 in Ohio. I don't ask for perfect school, but 8 is the least I can accept.

Looking for 2400 ~ 3xxx sqft home. No flood or crime area.

Thanks
I only know St. Pete area schools. You said close to St. Pete..... are you sold on South Tampa? Or do you want Pinellas school info?

Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
I only know St. Pete area schools. You said close to St. Pete..... are you sold on South Tampa? Or do you want Pinellas school info?
No no no. I have not even been to Tampa yet. Not sold on anywhere. As a matter of fact, we will probably looking to rent first to get to know the region before making the major house decision.

I kept hearing Pinellas pretty much is a flood zone. So I want to stay away, unless you have a different insights.

All I want, is a community with excellent (again, scoring at least 8 or higher) elementary through high school. I don't want to move again later just for the sake of public school.

And hopefully within 30min driving distance to downtown st pete where i work.

And Range < $350K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay