Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,009 times

Advertisements

So we moved to Sarasota about 3 years ago because we came here on vacation and loved it so much we wanted to stay! We still love it but find it a little too quiet for our tastes. We are a youngish couple who like to be out and about doing things. We didn't realize just how small Sarasota really was, lol... it was kind of an impulse. We are lucky we work from home, so we can live about anywhere. We are considering moving to tampa because it would be generally the same climate and spectacular views and beaches but with more to see and do, and a younger population. Please no offense intended to Sarasota, it's beautiful and I may go back when I'm 60.

What area should we be looking in? We would like to be close to the beach, say 20 no more than min, have a good sized house with pool, on an acre or two for our dogs to run and play. It needs to be a nice neighborhood where we can go jogging and rollerblading (so it needs sidewalks). It needs to be close to shopping and restaurants. We can rent in between 2000 and 3000 to start and then buy once we decide we like the area.

Am I dreaming in technicolor? Does this place exist? No luck finding anything on zillow so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
Without knowing too much the biggest issue might be that acre or 2 you're looking for...It may land you a little north of the Tampa area on the coast. Otherwise you'll have no problem. Depending on your age, St. Pete might be better as it's closer to the beaches but downtown is pretty active.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:36 PM

55 posts, read 183,101 times
Are you talking about Tampa or the Tampa Bay area? The most western part of Tampa is still a little more than 20 minutes from the beach (I am talking about the actual beach on the Gulf, not the Bay).

You will not be able to find that amount of land in Tampa on that budget. You would have better luck going north, but then you would no longer be in Tampa, and end up in the country. You should be able to find a house with a pool to rent in Tampa about 20-30 min to the beach for that money, but forget about having a lot of land.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Yeah I was afraid of that.... I think we got really spoiled here in Sarasota. We have a full acre right on the water. I hate to leave it but we really want a change.

I guess I meant the Tampa Bay area, doesn't have to be Tampa proper, but I sure don't want to be in the country. Having restaurants and shopping close enough, with nice walking areas is important.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:17 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,734 times
Yeah it seems that you kind of get some of this OR some of that up here concerning what youre looking for. I initially thought of Seminole when I was reading your posting until I got to the anti old people part. lol ....But theres the Pinellas Trail that runs through Seminole so safely rollerblading and jogging would be no issue, they also have the Boca Ciega Millenium Park which is super nice and has a dog park. The beach would only be about 5 minutes away....However, you would need to drive out of Seminole for exciting things to do if youre looking for places like Hyde Park, Channelside, Ybor, etc....but there are some dive bars,, yummy local restaurants and shopping close by. You would be within a 20 minute drive to St Pete, Clearwater, and Largo which would be your go-to's for bigger shopping and restaurants.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:29 PM

Seminole huh? OK I'm gonna take a day and drive around there! So far everything I'm finding that seems really nice is on such a tiny lot. It's crazy, big beautiful homes, gorgeous pools, but so close you could hear your neighbor fart! We like to entertain, have dinner parties, pool parties... don't want the neighbors to be able to see us laying out in our bikini's... I guess I could settle for a smaller lot as long as it had a nice 6 foot privacy fence... but definitely not one of those 1/4 acre lots.... I don't think we are good neighbors, lol.. our dogs bark, we watch TV really loud.... we need space...

Old 08-06-2013, 07:17 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSkittles View Post
Seminole huh? OK I'm gonna take a day and drive around there! So far everything I'm finding that seems really nice is on such a tiny lot. It's crazy, big beautiful homes, gorgeous pools, but so close you could hear your neighbor fart! We like to entertain, have dinner parties, pool parties... don't want the neighbors to be able to see us laying out in our bikini's... I guess I could settle for a smaller lot as long as it had a nice 6 foot privacy fence... but definitely not one of those 1/4 acre lots.... I don't think we are good neighbors, lol.. our dogs bark, we watch TV really loud.... we need space...
Skittles, I don't want to discourage you here, but if you have an acre on the water in Sarasota I am thinking you are going to be sorely disappointed to move just because you think the area is too "slow". What is it that it is lacking? You REALLY do not want to trade it for Seminole! All of the things you on your wish list is impossible, you will have to compromise ESPECIALLY on the amount of land. You don't get that amount of land and be "close to things."

If you want young, Tampa is your best bet, but you will not be close to any beaches and good luck on that large of a lot in the neighborhoods your would want to live. Second to that would be downtown St. Pete. St. Pete is also an older city, the young population resides downtown, most of the rest of the city is old style retiree condos, etc. even the beaches. I am just trying to get you to think long and hard about what you are doing. In the end is it really worth it? From Sarasota it is pretty easy to drive to Tampa or St. Pete for a change of scenery.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSkittles View Post
You won't find what you are looking for in Pinellas (full acre on water). It's the most dense county in FL in regards to population.

Well... you might find that if you have a LOT of $$$$$$$.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
I think Sarasota has a lot more to do than both Tampa & St. Pete together!

Tampa is dead entertainment wise; you have 1/0000.1 of Sarasota in Ybor (which is nothing more than a movie theater and a bunch of bars; not our thing for sure!)...& Down Town St Pete is slowly dying now that the Pier is being demolished too.
We would love to move to Sarasota! It's so beautiful there. I can't imagine anyone wanting to move out!

That 1, 2 acre thing is daydreaming in Pinellas County! The more north you go for the acreage the more minutes you will add to get to the beaches! "Acreage + Close to the beach" doesn't exist! "Close to the beach" means sardine world house wise.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Down Town St Pete is slowly dying now that the Pier is being demolished too.
I've read some silly things on here, but this takes the taco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay