Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 11:32 AM

35 posts, read 54,710 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

It's me again :-) Looks like the Tampa has won hands down as the place for us to move too. My next question is, what are the best areas to set up house in the greater Tampa area. Please keep in mind we will be coming initially on a pretty tight budget. In spite of that I can't and won't put my family somewhere that isn't safe.

The first time we lived there we were in New Port Richey right off Highway 19. This time we'd like to be a bit further South. We didn't have any problems in New Port Richey but since we left we have found out it isn't the best area, didn't know that at the time. While there the first time we really liked Tarpon Springs (the sponge docks:-) loved it, the bomb) :-) Clearwater was nice, we went to a flea market (we love flea markets), in Pinellas Park but never went as far as St. Pete.

Of course we'd prefer a house, but that usually means more cash. So we're looking at apartments. We would need a four bedroom. That's neither here nor there right now though. Just need to know the safest, and or best areas for newcomers on a budget to set up house. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 03:43 PM

296 posts, read 654,279 times
Personally I like somewhere closer to the cities than Tarpon Springs. When I say the cities I mean the big 3, and I would rank them 1) St. Pete 2) Tampa 3) Clearwater but that's just my opinion. You can find safe cheap places near all of them. Just a bit further south of Tarpon Springs and pretty close to Clearwater and the beaches is Dunedin. It's a safe, affordable area and you would be plenty close enough to make it up to Tarpon and the Sponge Docks.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:41 PM

35 posts, read 54,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
Personally I like somewhere closer to the cities than Tarpon Springs. When I say the cities I mean the big 3, and I would rank them 1) St. Pete 2) Tampa 3) Clearwater but that's just my opinion. You can find safe cheap places near all of them. Just a bit further south of Tarpon Springs and pretty close to Clearwater and the beaches is Dunedin. It's a safe, affordable area and you would be plenty close enough to make it up to Tarpon and the Sponge Docks.

When we were living there previously we would go from New Port Richey to Tarpon Springs regularly. We would also make our way to Clearwater, Dunnedin, and Indian Rocks beach regularly. It wasn't that much of a drive. I did like Dunedin a lot, as well as Clearwater. Clearwater has a pretty nice beach :-) But Indian Rocks beach was our all time favorite, it was never crowded :-)

Old 08-13-2013, 04:51 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,437,197 times
As I'm sure you'll hear several times....think about your commute as well. Would I have loved to live DT St. Pete? Yep. But commuting an hr each way everyday wasn't worth it.

I've heard good things about Westchase (kind of between Tampa and the coast...the best of both worlds for some people). Also Lutz and New Tampa seem to be pretty well outside the sketchier areas.

I actually think a 4br apt is a tall order as many places seem to only go as large as 3 BR. You might be able to rent a house...not sure what that'll do to your search. Maybe scope that out a little before you get your heart set on an area and find yourselves w/o a 4 BR option.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,826,749 times
The Countryside area would work well for you. Look into 34685 area of Palm Harbor, northeast Clearwater, Oldsmar and Safety Harbor. JMO of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay