Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 AM

35,377 posts, read 20,756,414 times

Advertisements

I found this post in forums

Urban shift has Americans bidding farewell to suburbs - Video on TODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 01:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,842,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I have found articles like this over the decades. There is always a flow back and forth a little bit, as segments of the country grow in popularity and then fall from grace. I really don't think in the grand scheme of things that more people than not want to live in a city, as is evidenced by how the Tampa Bay has developed, BUT having more mixed use development or more centralized services areas are certainly growing in popularity, especially as people age.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:05 PM

184 posts, read 327,809 times
We are looking at a more urban lifestyle in about 2 years but only because both kids will be on their own. I loved raising my kids with a large backyard in suburbia but it is most definitely a personnel decision. I can see pro's and con's to both

Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM

35,377 posts, read 20,756,414 times
I like the city vibe, and that it is available to me. Talking w the fed ex guy from NY he too was missing that element that is just NOT here in Tampbay. I think having both is the better equasion to a great city,,, I just hope I am not too old when Tampa finally gets there. I think city people like city life,,, maybe not extremes, but never the less that urban feel.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:51 PM

641 posts, read 1,016,221 times
Id take my suburbs anyday. No public transport (my car is awesome), no dealing wih bums, no smelling **** on the streets.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:32 PM

443 posts, read 555,877 times
I'd love to move back to a city, just not downtown Tampa. As long as I'm here, 'burbs it will be.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:09 PM

17,468 posts, read 38,893,805 times
Well, I kind of define it as "old suburbs" = the new urban; in other words the original historic close-in suburbs are now "urban-suburban". That's what I like - not right downtown, but just minutes from everything. Most of you know I don't live in Tampa, but my neighborhood in Sarasota is only 5 miles (10 minutes) from either downtown Sarasota or downtown Bradenton. We are two blocks off the bus stop (if I should ever want to ride it, which right now I don't lol) and two blocks from US 41 with a plethora of businesses. Great convenience but with a nice private home and yard. Oh, and the airport is right across the street!

I look at the original old neighborhoods in Tampa the same way - Tampa Heights, Seminole Heights, South Tampa, etc. To me "suburban" or suburbs means the gated communities like Westchase, the ones in new Tampa, etc. etc Those are much further from the city core, and takes a while to drive to. I think more people are interested in the "urban-suburban" nabes now, and with Buckhorn's vision those areas are going to come alive in the next few years.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:37 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,299,263 times
I think what was the original allure of the suburbs has now been reversed to certain point, convenience. The suburbs really took off at a time when car culture was just beginning. Back than you could escape the hustle and overcrowding of the city in a short drive and be able to catch your kids games and recitals on time. Now with the vast majority of people living outside of the urban areas just about everyone is fighting traffic to get back home for dinner, or little league, or recital, etc etc. Today with just about everyone owning their own car, a quick trip to the grocery store just isn't as convenient anymore when you have fight through traffic than fight for parking. And with suburbs extending further and further out the commute just keeps getting further. There is something to be said about living in the city where conveniences are nearer and can be reached by something other than car. Time is probably the most valuable commodity today, especially to young families. Although I do not have a family yet, once I do I am willing to accept the trade offs of living in the city to be able to get home and actually participate in my kids and families lives. I know here in Orlando some of the most expensive neighborhoods are right in city close to downtown. The same for Tampa in places like South Tampa and Hyde Park. Even the best suburbs today take a page out of urban planning and create communities that are well centered with amenities being easily accessible by multiple modes of transportation. The days of the strip malls and endless parking lots may have passed. No we will not all be living in Manhattan anytime soon but I do think the Gypsy makes a very good point with the "urban-suburban" and we will continue to see a rise in "new urbanism."

Old 08-16-2013, 10:47 PM

515 posts, read 1,342,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I know here in Orlando some of the most expensive neighborhoods are right in city close to downtown. The same for Tampa in places like South Tampa and Hyde Park. Even the best suburbs today take a page out of urban planning and create communities that are well centered with amenities being easily accessible by multiple modes of transportation. The days of the strip malls and endless parking lots may have passed.
South Tampa and Hyde Park are indeed some of the most desirable areas of Tampa, but downtown is also a stone's throw away from many of Tampa's worst neighborhoods. In fact, most of the crime committed in Hyde Park comes from people who live in West Tampa driving down Boulevard or Rome to go to Hyde Park to steal bikes, cars, or break into houses. The problem is that the people in those other neighborhoods don't have anyplace to go. It's the people in those neighborhoods who are the problem with the neighborhoods, not the neighborhoods themselves. That's where the poverty is, the unemployment is, and where the crime is. No area is going to "come alive" when you have to genuinely worry about whether or not your house will get broken into while you're at work or if your car will be stolen from your driveway while you sleep. People don't want to be awakened at 3:00 am by the police helicopter circling above trying to find a guy who committed an armed robbery and then led the cops on a pursuit before crashing into someone's parked car. Stuff like that is a reality in many of the neighborhoods near downtown Tampa.

It's admirable that the mayor and many people in the city want to revitalize those areas and turn them into the next Hyde Park, however that's not going to happen until the liquor stores, pawn shops, and convenience stores with the "LOTTO" and "WE TAKE EBT" signs in their windows leave the areas and take the current residents with them. Professionals who work for a living want a walkable, inviting, safe community. They do not want the drunk homeless guy passed out on their driveway, people smoking crack in an alley behind their house, or prostitutes walking on the sidewalk in front of the nearest grocery store. I would gladly spend an extra few minutes in the car every day to live further from the city core if it meant living in a safer, more inviting area.

I'm actually excited about the new Encore development where the old Central Park Village housing projects were. That's the kind of development that could really start revitalizing an area that needs it. That said, coming up with the plan for Encore was no easy task, and it simply required bulldozing a bunch of government owned land. The other areas around it consist mostly of dilapidated single family residences, so doing any additional development on a large scale is going to be difficult. It's hard to convince people to revitalize their homes and neighborhoods when they don't really care to do it.

Last edited by Occifer; 08-16-2013 at 10:57 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 12:12 AM

170 posts, read 232,846 times
In 25 years, I think we all will see the growth of Tampa obtaining "big city" status hopefully with flexible options for everyone (city, suburban, and exurban). Only enough room for 67,000 new homes! Sustainable growth for all!

Hillsborough residents can sound off on growth priorities | Breaking Tampa Bay, Florida and national news and weather from Tampa Bay Online and The Tampa Tribune | TBO.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay