Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times

Advertisements

If you want your husband to spend more on the road, that would be the choice .

Veterans is a joke. he is not going to save time. You pay for the luxury of just sitting in traffic. It is great on Sunday and evening though, that's when I take it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 12:34 PM

693 posts, read 1,138,130 times
If the nieghborhood is what you like and it fits your family well, its a commute, people do them all the time. I think the main question is whether you can get on the road prior to the small rush hour window Tampa has. If you can and your husband doesnt mind 40 minutes or so in teh car each way then go for it, if he cant be on the road at those times or he doesnt want to commute 40 minutes then dont do it.

I have had short and long commutes. My commute prior to my current location was 30 minutes at 65mph on an interstate and I liked it, listened to music and unwind, by the time I got home the crap from a days work was a distant memory. My current commute is 11 minutes through farmers fields, no stop lights no traffic no nothing, I like it too.

I will be in Tampa soon to do the drives myself, when I remember during the day I check out the traffic cameras, there is heavy traffic but again, its all timing because the Tampa rush hour is a small window, not like a major city that has rush hour from 6am-10am.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM

14 posts, read 25,047 times
What subdivisions and builders would you recomment? I would like to be close to beach somewhat. I am from out of state and don't know the area well.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:46 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,130 times
I cant help you with the subdivisions / builders as you have not supplied enough information.

However, something to consider, there is a tremendous amount of money being spent on Florida 589; Veterans Expressway and Suncoast Parkway.

Resurface of Suncoast Parkway Van Dyke Rd to Pasco County Line
http://www.dot.state.fl.us/publicinf...llsborough.pdf

Veterans Expressway Widening between Memorial and Gunn Highway and future widening from Gunn Highway to Van Dyke Rd and reconstruction of 39 bridges, 3 new bridges and conversion to all-electronic tolling.

Widening:

Phase I: Memorial to Gunn Highway—Under construction—Completion in 2015 and 2016
Phase II: Gunn Highway to Sugarwood Toll Plaza: Funded for Design/Build construction beginning in FY 2014
Phase III: Sugarwood Toll Plaza to Van Dyke Road: Funded for Design/Build construction beginning in FY 2015

Conversion to All Electronic Tolling (Elimination of Cash Toll Collection):

Memorial to Gunn Highway: Under construction, scheduled for implementation by late spring 2014
Gunn Highway to Van Dyke: Under construction, scheduled for implementation by late spring 2014
Suncoast Parkway: Under construction, scheduled for implementation by early 2015

Map of widening: http://floridasturnpike.com/Vets%20W...ects%20Map.pdf

Old 08-21-2013, 06:04 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SULAW2015 View Post
It all depends on the time of the day. Also be aware that the Veterans is under construction. They are making the 4 lane road into 8 lanes. That should tell you something.

If your husband left the house at 6:30am, he could be their by 7:10am.
If he left at 7:00am, he would be cutting it close to be their by 8:00am.
From 7:00am until 8:30am, it would take him an hour of bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic to get there.

The return is worse. Crossing the Howard Frankland bridge is the problem.
If he left at 5:00pm to drive home, don't expect him to arrive home until at least 6:30pm.
If he leaves at 5:30pm, don't expect him home before 7pm.
If he waited until 7pm to leave, he could be home at 7:40pm.

Those are averages...
When, not if there is an accident on the bridge, this happens sometimes weekly, then the commute can add 30 minutes to an entire hour.
Personally, at least six to nine times per year, an accident on the HF bridge has added 30 to 90 minutes of time to my commute across the bridge.

Then there is time of the year...
From Halloween to Memorial day, expect snowbirds to add to that much more traffic.
Starting tomorrow until Memorial day, expect school traffic and buses.
Should I mention the tropical storms that wash over the expressways?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy4once View Post
What subdivisions and builders would you recomment? I would like to be close to beach somewhat. I am from out of state and don't know the area well.
You need a builder?

If you're just going for new construction homes that are stacked on top of each other and have zero character then you'll need to stay way out in the burbs.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 AM

Well I been looking at new because u can get new for same cost as old. I don't want a really old house. I don't mind to buy a newer used house. Everything in st pete/clearwater seems to be really old.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:16 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy4once View Post
Well I been looking at new because u can get new for same cost as old. I don't want a really old house. I don't mind to buy a newer used house. Everything in st pete/clearwater seems to be really old.
Another option would be Bradenton, going over the skyway to St Pete would be probably 20-30 min commute, you would find newer builds and be close to the beaches. The downside if you change jobs you would be limited to Southern Pinellas for a decent commute.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:26 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Why would anyone consider living in Lutz, period? I guess if I REALLY enjoy having "me" time... But yes, that drive is terrible. Then keep in mind that the only two roads that would lead to the interstate (as far as I know) are Dale Mabry and Gunn Hwy. Have fun with that traffic.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:34 PM

My husband will be working in Nth St Pete. somewhat close to Clearwater airport. Everywhere I look that are building new homes is at least 30 mile drive. Want to keep under $240k. Would like a kid friendly neighborhood. These new communities with pools and playgrounds seems like nice place to live. I would like for him to have a close drive but I don't know how we can manage that with the home choices. Everything close to there is either really old or really expensive. I am open to suggestions. Ive also looked at tarpon springs, trinity, palm harbor, land o lakes, lutz areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay