Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:10 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy4once View Post
My husband will be working in Nth St Pete. somewhat close to Clearwater airport. Everywhere I look that are building new homes is at least 30 mile drive. Want to keep under $240k. Would like a kid friendly neighborhood. These new communities with pools and playgrounds seems like nice place to live. I would like for him to have a close drive but I don't know how we can manage that with the home choices. Everything close to there is either really old or really expensive. I am open to suggestions. Ive also looked at tarpon springs, trinity, palm harbor, land o lakes, lutz areas.
Are you purposely looking for the areas that are the furthest out from everything? If he's going to be working in St. Pete..... Why not look IN St. Pete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 04:15 AM

14 posts, read 25,036 times
I have but all I see that I can afford are older homes. Ill keep looking.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:37 AM

237 posts, read 391,871 times
If you dont want to live in an older house then like most cities in America you will have to accept a 30+ minute commute at your budget. Part of life, people who dont agree with this either do not have a family or are content with an older home.

I dont understand this constant reaction on this forum to a 30-45 minute commute as the equivalent of having your finger nails pulled out one at a time. Most friends and family in big cities would love to have a 30 minute commute.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:06 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dystopian View Post
If you dont want to live in an older house then like most cities in America you will have to accept a 30+ minute commute at your budget. Part of life, people who dont agree with this either do not have a family or are content with an older home.

I dont understand this constant reaction on this forum to a 30-45 minute commute as the equivalent of having your finger nails pulled out one at a time. Most friends and family in big cities would love to have a 30 minute commute.
On the other hand I don't understand people who move here in great part to get away from the 45 min to 1 hour commute and then look at places in the middle of nowhere saying things like "I am used to driving an hour" doesn't that defeat the purpose of improving your quality of life.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:43 AM

14 posts, read 25,036 times
I already commute 35-40 mins to work in KY where I live now. I am used to a little drive. I guess you can't always have the best of both worlds. Gotta pick your battle. Seems like where my husband is going to work in N St Pete, no matter which direction we go we will have to drive 30 miles to get a newer house. If he could drive the speed limit on interstate then that wouldn't be too bad but if its bumper to bumper which I hear it can be then that may be a different story. Guess we just need to drive it and see.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 AM

693 posts, read 1,137,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
On the other hand I don't understand people who move here in great part to get away from the 45 min to 1 hour commute and then look at places in the middle of nowhere saying things like "I am used to driving an hour" doesn't that defeat the purpose of improving your quality of life.
Maybe the improvement in quality of life is not in their commute. Maybe people are okay with 30-45 minute commute but find something else more appealing in Florida that improves their quality of life.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy4once View Post
I already commute 35-40 mins to work in KY where I live now. I am used to a little drive. I guess you can't always have the best of both worlds. Gotta pick your battle. Seems like where my husband is going to work in N St Pete, no matter which direction we go we will have to drive 30 miles to get a newer house. If he could drive the speed limit on interstate then that wouldn't be too bad but if its bumper to bumper which I hear it can be then that may be a different story. Guess we just need to drive it and see.
As has been said a bunch, its all in the time you will be on road.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:47 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Your other option is, if you insist in buying in Lutz, wait until veterans widening project finishes. There is an express lane that of course charges more in addition to the regular lane in the design. Using the express lane may cut the travel time but with additional cost to travel on it...

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/Vets...Lane%20Map.pdf

Old 08-24-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Your other option is, if you insist in buying in Lutz, wait until veterans widening project finishes. There is an express lane that of course charges more in addition to the regular lane in the design. Using the express lane may cut the travel time but with additional cost to travel on it...

Do you know if that express lane is going to be fee oriented (via the electronic tolling) or is it HOV?

Old 08-24-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post

Do you know if that express lane is going to be fee oriented (via the electronic tolling) or is it HOV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay