Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 11,836 times

Advertisements

My husband has been unemployed in Connecticut for almost 2 years. We are struggling financially on my teacher's salary. My husband has been offered a position at a company in the Tampa area. A relative is the hiring manager and was able to find him work. We are desperate for him to find employment, because I don't know how much longer we can live on one income in Connecticut. Our taxes are also increasing as of this week.[

A private school in the area has contacted me regarding employment, so I'm certain I'll have a job offer. However, I'm nervous about moving to Florida. I've been doing research and have heard many negative things regarding Florida, especially from people who came from New York and New England. Based on the posts, it seems Florida is full of criminals, pill headers, deadbeats and middle class white trash. Are there any former New Englanders that have positive experiences living in Florida?

I'll admit that Florida is not my first choice, but my husband can't give up a job offer right now. I've done research on many towns ranging from New Port Richey/Trinity and all the way down to Venice. I really liked Venice, but it seems too far from the Tampa area. Currently, we have 45 minute commutes, so we wouldn’t mind the same in Florida. Can anyone offer any advice on nice towns in the area? I thought I liked Palm Harbor (based on internet research), but when we visited the area last month, it seemed really crowded.

We are a professional and educated young couple. We are looking for a community of similar individuals. We would also like to be in an area that's relatively safe. I would love to be close to the beach, but I am willing to give that up for a better area.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMove2011 View Post
I've been doing research and have heard many negative things regarding Florida, especially from people who came from New York and New England. Based on the posts, it seems Florida is full of criminals, pill headers, deadbeats and middle class white trash.
Yeah, You pretty much have it nailed... I wouldn't mention to anyone that your husband was given a job because he has a relative that's a hiring manager. Last time I was down there it pissed people off when Florida companies were hiring outside of the state when they have such a high unemployment rate.

Sometimes you don't have a choice where you go though, My wife and I had to chase jobs in Texas and we would have prefered to stay in Tennessee but that's the way this country has gone. You have to go somewhere you might not otherwise want to be to make ends meet.

I'll give you this though, You could do alot worse in Florida then the Bay Area though. Good luck !

Old 06-30-2011, 09:33 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Palm Harbor is great but it is crowded! I would suggest Trinity or Land-o-Lakes,for a less crowded feel.Another area is Westchase/Odessa area,more crowded than the Trinity/LOL area but a better educated demographic.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
. Based on the posts, it seems Florida is full of criminals, pill headers, deadbeats and middle class white trash..
If you will be working in the Tampa area you are going to probably be living in the Tampa area and the bad areas you describe are not all over Florida they are just certain small sections scattered about the state and are easily avoided..

Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
I'm nervous about moving to Florida. I've been doing research and have heard many negative things regarding Florida, especially from people who came from New York and New England. Based on the posts, it seems Florida is full of criminals, pill headers, deadbeats and middle class white trash.
Given your low viewpoint of our area, I suggest you stay up there in Connecticut where things are obviously much better and have your husband stay on unemployment. Us white trash criminals can do fine without you here.

Seriously, way to start things out by insulting the inhabitants of the location you are moving to. That's why so many native Floridians HATE the people who move down here. It also amazes me that if so many people from New England have such a low viewpoint of the area, why do they keep moving here in droves?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 AM

37 posts, read 86,922 times
Quote:
Based on the posts, it seems Florida is full of criminals, pill headers, deadbeats and middle class white trash.
Very offensive, your husband currently is a deadbeat with no job. These kind of people can be found everywhere anyway, there are places in CT that I wouldn't send my worse enemy; one of which houses one of the finest institutions in the country. Florida is going to be sunny, beautiful and upbeat. Keep in mind that just like anywhere else, people that you find undesirable may exist. If you are willing to make the move there in the first place, then you will have no problem making your next move if you are unhappy.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 AM

68 posts, read 258,750 times
Quote:
I've been doing research and have heard many negative things regarding Florida, especially from people who came from New York and New England.
I can assure you that the feeling is mutual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Given your low viewpoint of our area, I suggest you stay up there in Connecticut where things are obviously much better and have your husband stay on unemployment. Us white trash criminals can do fine without you here.

Seriously, way to start things out by insulting the inhabitants of the location you are moving to. That's why so many native Floridians HATE the people who move down here. It also amazes me that if so many people from New England have such a low viewpoint of the area, why do they keep moving here in droves?
Agreed.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:02 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post

Reps to you.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:05 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
If Palm Harbor is crowded for you, it's really difficult to find what you are looking for without being out in the "farms and in the middle of nowhere".

Try may be Lutz, Odessa, Land O Lake where you may find houses with some acreage. 45min to where you will be working may be the hardest part. Once you know where you will be working, it will be easier to find where to live.

Please don't generalize the entire area as the majority (like the one who are trying to help you here without knowing you) is not like that.

Even though you are moving here out of necessity just embrace it and have fun while it lasts and you are able move where you want to live. Otherwise, you will be expending lots of negative energy

Good luck

Old 07-01-2011, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 11,836 times
I meant no disrespect, but I said, "based on posts." I was extremely open to moving here, but then heard horror stories. Not knowing about the area, what was I suppose to think? Anyone that reads negative review after negative review is going to worry. And actually, I asked if anyone had any positive experiences. I was hoping someone would prove these stories wrong. Those individuals I described where not my words at all. I took those from other people's posts. Again, the wording, "based on posts" Honestly, I though Florida was full of older people.

It really saddens me that people are so horribe to one another. Again, no disrespect. I should have known better than to ask for advice online. Honestly, probably won't read this again. I don't need people whom don't know my situation, my husband or myself or our character judging me. I'll search for more constructive advice elsewhere.

Thanks again for those that gave positive constructive feedback, it was helpfu!

Hope everyone has a lovely day!

As for my husband being a deadbeat, the county is in a recession. An individ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay