U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:48 AM

426 posts, read 1,129,856 times

Advertisements

Many houses in my part of town have signs up by now, either for or against the new pier. I've also been approached several times by activists on the "stop the pier" side. Anecdotally, they seem to outnumber the "build the pier" side.

I am usually a heavily opinionated person but like to think I look at everything from a rational and objective standpoint. This is one of the few things that I can't come to my own conclusion on. I am surprised that so many can come to such a passionate position.

My thinking:

1. The supports for the existing pier need significant and costly work. Also, the existing pier is subsidized and costs us all. So I really don't see saving the existing pier as an option. It is currently closed and anything of value was already auctioned off.

2. The "Stop the Lens" people have a good point in that this new structure would not really be a destination of any sort. We have more shoreline sidewalks than anyone... I don't know that we need to spend a lot of money on a big sidewalk over the water.

3. I'm not sure we need a pier at all. A cheap fishing pier could be built, but I'm not sure if the money saved can or would be returned to the taxpayers, or applied to another project, etc. While the new pier would apparently host a restaurant, this restaurant would be better located at at the base of the pier. The pier is too long for people to walk out to it.... the enjoyment of Beach Drive, Central Ave. IMHO is the ability to bar hop, or walk to get coffee/dessert after dinner, etc.

4. The "Stop the Lens" folks have failed in their argument in my opinion by not showing people a clear way forward. None of them have been able to articulate what the realistic options are if the Lens is scrapped.

5. The "Build the Lens" folks make a good point in that any proposed project is going to have controversy, and millions have been spent on this already. The budget does not allow for something like a Navy Pier in Chicago, so I'm really not sure what else could be done. So part of me says to just build the dang thing if it can truly operate w/o subsidies, and whoever wants to use it will use it.

6. I think this might be proof why government shouldn't get involved in spending our money on big projects. They thought they knew what they were doing with Baywalk and years later it is private ownership that is reviving it. However, this doesn't help me make a decision, unless #3 is an option.

At this point I'm leaning toward not even voting on this issue at all. It occurs to me that this isn't really a vote on a particular decision as much as it is a vote for (1) a specific outcome (build the Lens, which I'm not crazy about) or (2) an open-ended "nobody knows what the heck will happen option. I think that is the problem.

It would be like voting for President and the choices being:
(1) A specific candidate that you could possibly tolerate but don't really agree with,
(2) Not to elect any candidate, but to postpone and possibly do something else entirely, e.g. establish a Parliament to replace the presidency post-election

What do you guys think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 AM

296 posts, read 570,653 times
My building has a "don't build the pier" sign on it so I guess I know which way the owner stands. I really don't know enough about the situation, but the pier now is not a destination I frequent. The new (concepts) one looks like a perch for birds, no businesses on it - just a walk way?

Check it out St Petersburg Pier | Michael Maltzan Architecture

Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,437,865 times
The old pier is a dated design that's falling apart, the Lens is a terrible design now. Both keeping and building are horrific options for St. Pete.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 AM

27,798 posts, read 28,041,120 times
The answer to the question is how much does St Pete want to establish itself as a up-and-coming city and bring tourist into its area. It looks like they're going to lose their baseball team. If the city wants to be a place people visit, that pier needs to be drastically improved or replaced.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 853,080 times
The way I see it, this is simply a squabble over design. The Lens people like the Lens design. The anti-Lens people think our pier needs to have an upside down pyramid on it. If the Lens is approved, it'll be built. If it's not approved, we'll build a new pier with an upside down pyramid on it, potentially preserving whatever parts of the existing structure can be preserved.

I'm indifferent as to those two results. The existing pier is ugly, the Lens is ugly, and probably some new upside down pyramid design will be ugly. We don't need a pier downtown at all, and the whole thing is a waste of money.

That said, I'm going to vote against the Lens on the chance I'm wrong and, if the Lens is rejected, maybe we'd do something valuable with the money. But I'm 99% certain this is just a design fight.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM

663 posts, read 1,004,098 times
I think we need a new pier, but I hate "The Lens". I think they could come up with a design that would actually become a destination, not an eye sore.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:07 PM

25,762 posts, read 14,387,792 times
Not in favor of the lens- looks dangerous to kids, or pets, new Ok but come up with better-It obstructs the view from afar too- maybe too high? just dont like the eyeball, but all in favor or a rebuild,.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 PM

15,876 posts, read 33,319,816 times
I think it should be something in scale with the downtown, which the Lens is not - also should be more of a destination. Couldn't they have gotten a local architect to design it instead of some LA firm?? Ridiculous...

Old 08-21-2013, 02:04 PM

296 posts, read 570,653 times
I still don't get the lens... the lens idea does not involve businesses being open on the pier? Its more of just a picnic area?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:10 PM

8,488 posts, read 18,709,404 times
Didn't an engineer inspect the structure and stated that the caissons were structurally sound for possibly another 75 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay