Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 18,854 times

Advertisements

I know this might be a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about any financial or credit analyst positions in the Tampa area? I have been applying for jobs off Indeed and Careerbuilder for a couple months now and have only had two phone interviews. I have a bachelors degree in Finance from the University at Buffalo and 1.5 years of experience as a Commercial Credit Analyst. I have family in Tampa that I will live with until I can find my own place so moving down there will be pretty easy.

Also I have looked on glassdoor.com to try and figure out what the salary range would be with my experience and I am still not sure what it will be around. If anyone can offer any advice or help, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 01:03 PM

35,648 posts, read 21,018,276 times
usajobs.gov

Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM

153 posts, read 191,864 times
As someone who was in your exact shoes I can relate more than you'll know. My question would be how serious are you about moving down, and most importantly how aggressive is your resume/coverletter/back story in conveying this?

At face value from your shoes it would seem easy, you have a degree/some experience, a place to stay, and aren't going to ask for relocation or anything. You're young with little ties to the north and ready to start a new life here in the sun.

On the other hand, the employer is getting a ton of resumes that are local with the same qualifications. Yours is likely getting vetted right away. There is tons of things working against you, the first thing being the stigma that many people up north are "dreamers" that apply but would never actually come down. Second, even if they were interested, you're not here to interview. It's a hassle to set that up, they're going to wonder if they have to pay to bring you in when they can easily line up a series of locals to come in the next day. Plus they're going to have fears of how serious you are, how long a move would actually take, etc, when there's faces ready to come in and interview the next day. The good news is so many people here were once from the north and were in your shoes so they can be sympathetic to your plight, but right now you don't have any extensive niched experience in finance that will get them to bring you in.

Only two phone interviews after a few months reminds me of my first stages too. I retooled my approach every few weeks and eventually started to get more calls, but it still wasn't easy. I read advice online, ignored some and used others like telling them a date that I was moving in my cover letter, or mentioning I was coming because my spouse was being relocated (not true), using a local address saying I was moving there, etc. The more aggresive or local I sounded the better it was. It certaintly got me a lot more interest, but sometimes I'd get burned. They'd call me two months after I said I'd be there for a different position and I wasn't there yet, how do you explain that? Or I applied to company X six months ago with a cover letter saying I'd be there in two months, and now I want to apply to a new position but I'm still not there yet.

Ultimately after all the resumes and uploads (god I hate Taleo) I honestly wasn't successfull. Eventually I just used the increased interest as confidence I'd land on my feet and came here without a job, and landed one quickly. Yes the job market sucks, but I think a finance degree is the safest thing to have if you're willing to start lower in a pinch (temping even?) to just be here. If you're looking to or need to match your salary now, don't have savings to live a bit, or you'll quickly overstay your welcome with your relatives if you're not working etc then keep looking for the right position and hopefully the credit analyst experience lines up with someone.

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2013, 01:57 PM

670 posts, read 1,276,609 times
Try Citi or MetLife

Old 08-21-2013, 02:51 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,461,252 times
USAA, CITI, Raymond James, and I am drawing a blank on another big one right off I-75 just North of the HWY 4 Interchange. Can anyone help with that one?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:30 PM

23 posts, read 103,275 times
I've seen many jobs posted for analyst positions in Tampa. My suggestion would be to come down and then send a blitz of resumes to each and every job posting you can find. Make sure you have a resume and cover letter that makes you stick out above the other candidates. My experience has been that there are many jobs here in Tampa for the taking, but many people want to whine and complain about how there aren't any which eats up the time it takes for them to apply to the one place that is willing to hire them.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 AM

8 posts, read 18,854 times
Thanks for the advice so far, I think i will adjust my cover letter to include more detailed plans of setting up an interview and my timeline to move down there. I will also change my address to my sister's. I am not worried about over staying my welcome and I know they will not charge me rent but I am just a little worried about moving down there with no job. It also seems like when I started applying in May there were a lot more openings for positions with my experience, it has definitely slowed down since than. Are most finance jobs looking to hire in the Spring/Summer?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,461,252 times
I was looking at moving somewhere else about 8 years ago and was getting a feel for the local area. The number one item that people were telling me was to have a local address (if at all possible), local cell number (not sure that matters anymore), and be prepared to leave at a moments notice for an interview.

Primary Reason:
Many people talk about moving here and never make it. But a company has to go forward with plans to hire, not being local can be a detractor (if you move or not, relocation expenses, etc...).

I think VERY GOOD MOVE changing address. My wife and kids are heading to Buffalo in two weeks for a wedding. Wife grew up there!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:22 AM

35,648 posts, read 21,018,276 times
clue- they wont consider you with out a local address- just from experience.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,256,945 times
Might be something suitable here..
Credit Analyst Jobs, Employment in Tampa, FL | Indeed.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: