Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I am not whining, I don't feel like getting an HOA violation because I have nowhere to put them!
Where do I get smaller ones from?
HOA's do not answer to government. If they fine you, talk to the county and they will put the HOA in its place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 03:44 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
HOA's do not answer to government. If they fine you, talk to the county and they will put the HOA in its place.
Ok. Will do.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I bet you if you gave me 5 mins I could find/make space in your garage to fit those bins.

And garages, in most homes, aren't considered "in the house". And most people throw sealed garbage bags into the bin, not lose garbage - keeps your garage from smelling and keeps insects other critters from being attracted to the contents.

Bags, Recycling & Composting Tips | Waste 101 | Glad®

That's the bags we use too...don't do anything for us. It's false advertising. I'll give you an example: if you buy chicken from Sams, and put the chicken in a ziploc in the freezer, the tray that it was in will stink up the garbage bags like you wouldn't believe. I make a nod on the top to make sure it's air tight, and they smell like crazy. In Miami we never ever had the garbage bins inside. Ever. We go in and our of the garage non stop all day...we have a 2nd fridge there, which we use, and I'd like to keep my garage free of stinky smells.

Also, we're not out of diapers overnight yet either...no matter how tight to tie these bags they still stink. I am sending you pics shortly.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:07 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,911 times
I don't see the frustrations over this...especially if they are the same thing we already have been using in city of Tampa for a few years. It isn't that big of a deal.

You didn't see a thread around that time complaining, was there? It is just a trash can...not a 12 yard roll-off container!

The things people will complain about sometimes astonish me. Fortunately, I haven't had to listen to any of my neighbors complain about their trash cans over the past 3 years.

#firstworldproblems

Old 08-26-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I don't see the frustrations over this...especially if they are the same thing we already have been using in city of Tampa for a few years. It isn't that big of a deal.

You didn't see a thread around that time complaining, was there? It is just a trash can...not a 12 yard roll-off container!
Do you have an HOA down in South Tampa? The issue is the fact that this HOA is forcing us to store these cans in our garages, when our garages are too small to accommodate cars and these bins, and everything else we might have like bikes, beach stuff, tools, you know the normal stuff. The reason this is upsetting is the expectation that I am going to keep my car, my beach stuff, my bikes and tools out, so the garbage bins stays inside to stink up my garage! We had the same bins as these in Miami for 12 years in a town home there with an HOA and we never had an issue. Not one, and we weren't forced to keep them in our garages there. This is about HOA's abuse of power, and the city not taking into account these predatory HOAs who will jump at every opportunity to torment home owners.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Got your DM, but you've got your setting to disallow receiving DMs. Here's my response:

Thanks for taking the time to explain and take pictures. In my opinion you have a lot of of space occupying bins that need to be consolidated and/or disposed of. Using bike pulley systems (available for $25 on the internet) will also free up some space. It looks like you've picked a place to live that isn't suitable for you (HOA-issues included). Another option is to store your stuff in a rental storage place for $20-80/month - for stuff you'll only periodically need (winter clothing, Christmas stuff).

Racor Home Storage Racks at Rack Attack

Storage unit prices at Uncle Bob's Self Storage - Tampa - W Columbus Dr in Tampa, FL 33607 | SpareFoot

Old 08-26-2013, 04:38 PM

8 posts, read 8,352 times
If you have no issues, good for you. That does not mean all homeowners and communities share in your values and situation. And yes, there are terrible situations in the world, that does not excuse every issue or annoyance in all people's lives. Should all civic issues now be halted because there is always a greater evil in the world?

Regardless if mandated by an HOA how trash bins are stored, some people do not want trash bins to be yard ornaments. If you have no issue with it, that is your property. But some people take pride in their home, appearance and community curb appeal and have a right to no want that to be trash bins. Others, like me, prefer to store my trash in may garage, not only as it is an HOA issue, but I do not want trash bins outside.

I have always kept my trash can in the garage with a liner and only put out the trash bag once a week. It is neat, tidy and my choice. But now I have two dumpsters in my garage that does not permit me to park 2 cars. Should the county now mandate only certain sized vehicles are needed in one's garage?

My issue is the size of these dumpsters and the refusal of the county to swap them for the smaller size because they have decided I should park a vehicle outside. I cannot control the look of my neighborhood which is now dominated by dumpsters, but I will be damned if the county or anyone else tells me I should displace the primary purpose of my garage to accommodate these excessively sized bins or add them to the landscape of my property because reasonably sized bins won't be available for 4 months.

I have already written my county commissioner and encourage anyone who feels similar disservice to do the same. They are supposed to support the taxpayers. I will not use my home and property to store these dumpsters for the convenience of the county and waste vendor. Nor should we answer to a web forum poster who feels they know what our priorities in life should be.

Last edited by TampaTaxPayer; 08-26-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM

[quote=BucFan;31142290]Got your DM, but you've got your setting to disallow receiving DMs. Here's my response:

Thanks for taking the time to explain and take pictures. In my opinion you have a lot of of space occupying bins that need to be consolidated and/or disposed of. Using bike pulley systems (available for $25 on the internet) will also free up some space. It looks like you've picked a place to live that isn't suitable for you (HOA-issues included). Another option is to store your stuff in a rental storage place for $20-80/month - for stuff you'll only periodically need (winter clothing, Christmas stuff).

I don't know why you can't DM me back, that option is not checked....? weird.

This was the only affordable place in the school district. I don't need a big house, no time to housekeep all day. It had to be efficient space wise. Believe me, if it wasn't for the schools and hubby's work, we would be back in Miami by now. And we will be when this is all done.

We cannot afford storage, the contents of the bins are used items that we need access to. There is no closet space here so we have linens and the likes that we need handy. Because of the AC there is no room for the bikes to go up. Hubby already wanted to do that; and I found those pully's(sp) online for $12 bucks each! We were very disappointed that we couldn't do that; we had that in Miami, they were more expensive and automatic but very cool; previous owner installed them down there...that is the very minimum of bins we have. We used to have triple that. I have nothing else to throw away. Like I was saying, two shrubs and this won't be an issue.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Our HOA is a democracy. Residents are elected onto a board of the HOA along with a president. If they don't do what we we as residents want them to do, we vote them out. Doesn't yours work in the same manner? I'd approach the HOA with yor issue and have a petition with other resident's signatures to change the HOA documents to allow some sort of set up to allow your bin to be stored outside, somehow.

Your neighbors with a similar crisis might thank you for taking the initiative.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Our HOA is a democracy. Residents are elected onto a board of the HOA along with a president. If they don't do what we we as residents want them to do, we vote them out. Doesn't yours work in the same manner? I'd approach the HOA with yor issue and have a petition with other resident's signatures to change the HOA documents to allow some sort of set up to allow your bin to be stored outside, somehow.

Your neighbors with a similar crisis might thank you for taking the initiative.
Most everyone has them outside. I am going to the next meeting and will discuss it. We have a management company, so it's not just the homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay