Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 5,242 times

Advertisements

I'm 21 years old and I live in Hampton Roads, VA. I am actively looking into moving to Tampa, FL. I attend community college, but I am nowhere near close to getting my degree. Right now I am a full-time bartender, and have been looking for a more stable job until I finish school for the past 12 months.

Hampton Roads is cool, I just think it's time for a change of scenery. This is like a military/government/medical career based area, everyone here kinda lives a routine lifestyle. I also want to move from here because there are no jobs hiring in customer service and sales what so ever, and although the job market in Florida isn't booming either, I heard the cost of living is fairly cheaper? My dad lives in Punta Gorda, FL (retirement kingdom) So I am very familiar with that area (Punta Gorda, Naples, Sarasota, Ft Myers, Port Charlotte) My dad suggested Orlando, but from the reviews I have read and the people I know that have lived there say it sucks! I feel like Tampa and surrounding areas would be more of my location. I am 21 so I like to have a good time, but I like to keep to myself a lot too.

I've been looking for jobs down there for the past few months, hoping a I get a good offer. Any other people my age living in Tampa, FL? Whats some good areas to live? Hows social life? Are most of y'all employed? What would you consider a good income to live comfortably down there?

Any feed back would be awesome! My anxiety is kickin in lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 09:36 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
OP you posted this on the NYC forum.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:17 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
This should be posted in either the Florida or Virginia forums.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:18 PM

155 posts, read 259,050 times
I'm actively looking to move to Tampa, FL as well

Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,595 times
if you like going out/drinking/etc, south tampa would be a good place for you. it's kind of expensive in that area tho but i think there are some cheaper places, but they really wouldn't be in nice areas.

anywhere near usf would be good if you like to go out and have fun, too.. there are a ton of bars everywhere and lots of students (obviously) so you will meet a lot of people. as far as living around USF area, i only know of apartment life (vs houses) and they are mostly catered to students/student-living so it's not too quiet or peaceful... and then there are some really ghetto areas (usually around university mall or anything near i-275, florida ave, nebraska ave)

if you go head toward new tampa, it gets a little better but it's still super college-y, in my opinion. and again, there are a couple bars here and there around new tampa as well.

if you keep going past new tampa and to around hunters green and near wesley chapel, the apartments get way way nicer, but then it's also more family oriented as well. there's still some bars and etc around (like in wire grass mall) but it's nothing like what you would find in south tampa.

then there's also areas around dale mabry, which is kind of right in the middle of things.

personally, if i still lived in tampa i would just stay away from living anywhere near i275, florida, nebraska, and bearss.

if i had all the money in the world, i'd splurge for a high rise somewhere in/near west shore (another area of tampa, don't know much of that except traffic seems extra congested and there's this path called bayshore that everyone and their grandma loves to be all sporty on).. so i guess west shore is also a really nice area to live, but it's just too expensive (for me)!!

when i was living in tampa, i could live comfortably off $30k a year... and i went out a lot! i shared an apartment with a friend so that helped cut costs a lot.. a lot of apartments down here also have multiple rooms with multiple bathrooms so that sharing one apartment with someone isn't an absolute pain, since the only things you really share are the common areas.

since you are 21 and i still consider that college age and tampa has USF, University of Tampa, HCC, and a bunch of other colleges, there are a lot of people your age in Tampa.

i've only had 2 jobs while i was living in tampa and both required specific degrees (and i have no other skills other than what i went to school for) so i can't say much on the job part of tampa

Last edited by asian_nurse; 08-24-2013 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: these are all just my personal opinions, so no offense if any was taken!!!!

Old 08-25-2013, 03:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Since Florida is all about beaches a beach area is probably the place to move, forget Tampa theres no beaches there and instead focus on the beach communities on St Petes Gulf coast..
http://www.clearwater-fl.com/info/ab...s/pinellas.gif

Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 AM

81 posts, read 100,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwhite92 View Post
I'm 21 years old and I live in Hampton Roads, VA. I am actively looking into moving to Tampa, FL. I attend community college, but I am nowhere near close to getting my degree. Right now I am a full-time bartender, and have been looking for a more stable job until I finish school for the past 12 months.

Hampton Roads is cool, I just think it's time for a change of scenery. This is like a military/government/medical career based area, everyone here kinda lives a routine lifestyle. I also want to move from here because there are no jobs hiring in customer service and sales what so ever, and although the job market in Florida isn't booming either, I heard the cost of living is fairly cheaper? My dad lives in Punta Gorda, FL (retirement kingdom) So I am very familiar with that area (Punta Gorda, Naples, Sarasota, Ft Myers, Port Charlotte) My dad suggested Orlando, but from the reviews I have read and the people I know that have lived there say it sucks! I feel like Tampa and surrounding areas would be more of my location. I am 21 so I like to have a good time, but I like to keep to myself a lot too.

I've been looking for jobs down there for the past few months, hoping a I get a good offer. Any other people my age living in Tampa, FL? Whats some good areas to live? Hows social life? Are most of y'all employed? What would you consider a good income to live comfortably down there?

Any feed back would be awesome! My anxiety is kickin in lol
why would wanna do sales or customer service? that doesn't sounds like bartender style.plus I think bartenders make good money. have you looked bartender jobs in Tampa?? There are tons of bars, restaurants in Tampa. lots of lots of fun.

have you been looking for place to live as well?? what price are you looking for? are you gonna have roommate?

Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Uhhhh..... I'll be the one to say it. At 21, I would've MUCH rather been in Orlando than Tampa. If it's not Friday or Saturday, the town dies at 10 pm. It is NOT youth friendly, nor is it good for college students. As for the suggestion about living near USF, look up "Suitcase city" first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay