Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 4,444 times

Advertisements

I moved to Florida almost 3 years ago from the Boston area, and I just haven't found a place to live that has a good vibe for me. I am looking for an area that's charming but down to earth. I currently live in Hyde Park and while I love the look of the neighborhood, it just doesn't feel like a good fit for me. I'm looking for some place that doesn't have cookie cutter developments that also has down to earth people, and perhaps a funky vibe. If anyone reading this knows Cambridge/Somerville you know what I mean. It might not exist, but I wanted to post here to see if anyone has a suggestion. I work in Brandon/Riverview and would not want to live there. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 03:29 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Better move back north then.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:30 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,653,984 times
Not really, cities in FL have a real different vibe than Northeastern cities.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Downtown St. Pete is pretty funky.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:06 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,831 times
I live on the MA/RI line and know Cambridge pretty well. Though I have not yet relocated, from what I've read on here, St. Pete sounds like it has a vibe to it, as does Sarasota. But...I doubt you are going to *also* get that just-on-the-outskirts-of Boston feel. As I understand, the Tampa Bay area is set up completely different more sprawled out, and not a major city compared to Boston.

If you're missing the city feel, I'm curious...why did you move down there? I guess my confusion lies in why people who relocate want to bring their former city with them and not embrace the new area for what it is.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 4,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
I live on the MA/RI line and know Cambridge pretty well. Though I have not yet relocated, from what I've read on here, St. Pete sounds like it has a vibe to it, as does Sarasota. But...I doubt you are going to *also* get that just-on-the-outskirts-of Boston feel. As I understand, the Tampa Bay area is set up completely different more sprawled out, and not a major city compared to Boston.

If you're missing the city feel, I'm curious...why did you move down there? I guess my confusion lies in why people who relocate want to bring their former city with them and not embrace the new area for what it is.
I'm not looking for something exactly like Boston, of course! I moved here for family reasons, and I enjoy living in FL for many reasons. I just wish I could find an area that has some culture and 'funkiness' to it. I've thought about checking out St. Pete, but it would be a long
commute to work.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:07 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,831 times
Ah ok, well I guess Sarasota would be much too far for a commute, even though it does sound like what you are looking for.

Hopefully someone else will post here for suggestions. Good luck to you!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:56 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missin'Boston View Post
I moved to Florida almost 3 years ago from the Boston area, and I just haven't found a place to live that has a good vibe for me. I am looking for an area that's charming but down to earth. I currently live in Hyde Park and while I love the look of the neighborhood, it just doesn't feel like a good fit for me. I'm looking for some place that doesn't have cookie cutter developments that also has down to earth people, and perhaps a funky vibe. If anyone reading this knows Cambridge/Somerville you know what I mean. It might not exist, but I wanted to post here to see if anyone has a suggestion. I work in Brandon/Riverview and would not want to live there. Thanks!!
This is Florida (Tampa to be exact), Boston is up the map a ways...you won't find that here because that's not where Boston is, Boston is up the map a ways. If that's what you want, you may want to head back that way.

If you're not comfortable with what we have here, you shouldn't stick around and be miserable. Life's too short for that.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:25 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
This is Florida (Tampa to be exact), Boston is up the map a ways...you won't find that here because that's not where Boston is, Boston is up the map a ways. If that's what you want, you may want to head back that way.

If you're not comfortable with what we have here, you shouldn't stick around and be miserable. Life's too short for that.
They moved here for family reasons. I came to Florida from the Northeast in 1980 and totally embraced it, but I think many who re-locate from the Northeast go through a little period of nostalgia (even when they're totally sick of the winters, the taxes, the traffic, the expense, etc.) where they seek to find a little bit of their former home. I went through it briefly myself, about 20 years after moving to Florida. I almost moved to the Dade City/San Antonio area. It wasn't the "culture" I was looking for, but a less cookie cutter/subdivision type thing with more winding roads and open space and older architecture.

But as far as finding a bit of Boston in a Florida city, that's a tough go. The closest thing to that is probably St. Augustine, it's the oldest city in the US. Around here, though, can't think of anything.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:35 PM

170 posts, read 233,824 times
If you want funky less kitschy vibe check out Ybor City, and Seminole Heights in Tampa. in St. Pete I would say Kenwood.

Ybor = lofts, apartments, shotgun houses
SH = Bungalows, Apts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay