Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,813,990 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I have a right to chime in considering I don't yet live there but I've been following along, reading all the points of view and if there's one thing I've noticed, there is alot of passion for and against. But, IMHO, based on what i've read, I agree with...

this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd ban vehicles from the existing structure, tear down the stupid upside down pyramid and plant a bunch of palm trees in its place and leave the pier to strollers,fishermen and pelicans. Maybe with existing structure and a bit of creativity something like this .http://pictures.4ever.eu/data/674xX/...y%20175921.jpg
or this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
IF it was going to me more than a walkway, I would have been all for it...but to spend that kind of money on just a walkway is really stupid and counterintuitive.

St Pete needs an Ocean Drive.
and outside of the Pier, I agree with Chas bringing up the roads and bridges. it is typically, and unfortunatley, a sore spot in most areas so i'm always for the upkeep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,847,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
No...lots [sic] of money not wasted. You apparently haven't been following the story.

For that kind of big money they were going to spend, I'd rather see a new police station instead of the Eisenhower-era relic the city currently tries to manage with. The government should be spending its money on vital services, not ridiculous white elephants like the Lens.

To those who think that having a big, ugly, useless mess like the Lens is going to make us a "top arts destination", that's just sad. This has zero to do with the arts. People didn't visit downtown St Pete to see the crumbling pier, and they wouldn't visit a new embarrassing-looking one either.
I think the news said they already spent four million dollars to this point on planning and whatnot, which is now gone. I call that wasted money.

The Trop sounds like an idea there and they could surround it with a boardwalk full of restaurants, shops and fishing spots.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 AM

35,421 posts, read 20,786,793 times
Its is a great fishing spot just need to be a venue for some type of entertainment- something that brings the people,,, problem NO parking- and It's very scary to park near there at night, what needs to happen there to make it a place people want to GO-- personally- need a diff kind of people, here nobody leaves out after 8 pm

Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,866,184 times
What a waste of money!!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM

325 posts, read 438,288 times
I think it should be a large Wooden Pier with a Restaurant/Bar at the end. Walking only, plenty of room for Fishermen, and at the end.....a Giant Ferris Wheel! You could see it from Tampa and it would have a Traditional, Old Fashioned feel and be inexpensive (relatively), and be a Wonderful Family Destination. Bring back a little of what Florida used to be!!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,586,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMachineshop View Post
I think it should be a large Wooden Pier with a Restaurant/Bar at the end. Walking only, plenty of room for Fishermen, and at the end.....a Giant Ferris Wheel! You could see it from Tampa and it would have a Traditional, Old Fashioned feel and be inexpensive (relatively), and be a Wonderful Family Destination. Bring back a little of what Florida used to be!!
....and where would you park?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 AM

17,484 posts, read 38,920,587 times
Quote:
In theory, I love it, but not sure that is realistic. Wood will be deteriorating, they don't build wooden bridges and piers anymore. And that ferris wheel will rust. It would be cool, though. At one time there was a plan drawn up with a roller coaster out over the water - how cool would that be?

I really think it has got to be something simple, that doesn't cost more than the city can afford to build, and won't cost an arm and a leg to maintain. While I originally was blown away by the full concept of the Lens, I realized that would just never work for the small city of St. Petersburg. That design was just overwhelming for the town. Too bad they just can't go back to something more like the original Million Dollar Pier. I loved that place, and it fits the city perfectly. An interesting note: that million dollars it cost translates into $50 million of today's - just the amount they had budgeted for a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
The LENS is no more!-pier2.jpg  

Last edited by gypsychic; 08-28-2013 at 09:07 AM..

Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 AM

443 posts, read 556,104 times
Why is St. Pete so obsessed with a pier in the first place? How about using that money to make the city's interior less of an absolute DUMP..

Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,601,101 times
Quote:
Something like the Navy Pier would probably be a little much for St. Pete. I would like to see just a pier and then something like the Sunset Celebration they have in Key West.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 937,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
No...lots [sic] of money not wasted. You apparently haven't been following the story.
I agree with you on how we should spend our money, but I don't think it's going to work out that way. Foster said he's going to work with city council to figure out a new pier design process. Kriseman, should he win the runoff, has said he opposes the Lens and wants to create a task force to figure out the best process for a new pier design. We had spent $3 million on the Lens design process, so that was wasted. Maybe the new pier design/construction will cost less than $50 million, and we'll see some savings. But this seems to be a design fight only. I would be shocked if the city chose not to build a new pier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay