U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:49 AM

7 posts, read 19,190 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone and thanks for the help. I'm a military veteran currently living in the DC Metro area of Virginia. I'm planning on moving to FL to finish my degree at USF and I need to live somewhere a little more similar in temperature and atmosphere to Hawaii than Virginia!
I'm still split in which campus to attend, based on their degree programs for business. I've been in the Marines for 8 years and coming out into civilian life and finding out what exactly I want to do is such a tough choice, I feel like a kid!
So I thought I'd learn a bit more about each area to help decide which campus/city to apply to and live in for the next two years and hopefully longer.
Can anyone please give me some general differences between the two? Weather? Traffic? Cost of Living? Level of Happiness?
Are either of them similar to San Diego?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 12:32 PM

921 posts, read 2,247,726 times
I graduated from USF. I attended both campus'. I would think the main campus, Tampa, would have more to offer.
St.Pete USF has grown a ton since my days. The St.Pete campus and surrounding area is much nicer IMO, the campus is on the water. The Tampa campus is in the hood, called Suit Case City.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:42 PM

Thanks. I'm assuming when you say the hood, the area around USF Tampa is ghetto? What is the difference in weather like? I know they're on different sides of the bay and St. Pete is closer to the Gulf; does that make it cooler?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:12 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,952,299 times
Lived in HI (Oahu) as a kid and have lived here (Tampa-side) for the last four years and the two climates don't really compare. It's hot, humid with daily afternoon thunderstorms during the summer months. From Oct to April, our climate is much nicer - cooler temps usually. More enjoyable - so much that hundreds of thousands of people come down here to live for 5-6 months (we call them snowbirders - they leave in April to get away from the heat/humidity).

St Pete USF is located in a very nice area - but I'm not sure if the course availability is anywhere the same as over on the main campus.

I went to USF decades ago and transferred to a much smaller school to earn my degree because I didn't like the huge (200-300) number of students in the classes - couldn't even know the profs. I highly recommend a school that has a small class size wherever you go.

Thanks for your service and SHAKA BRADDAH!.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:01 PM

Thanks BucFan. Fortunately the class size appears to have changed dramatically from what I have read.
Daily afternoon thunderstorms? That sucks doesn't it? How do you all cope with that? Is St. Pete the same way?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:15 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,126,938 times
I lived in San Diego and worked/visted Hawaii over a dozen times. The communities are comparable once inside subdivisions, but it doesn't have the SOCAL feel at all to me. Both good and bad there.

Afternoon Thunderstorms are the Norm from around late May until late September. Very HOT and HUMID Summer months. But come October to next April, we have the best weather of anywhere that I have lived. (Spent 26+ years in the Navy - moved 14 times both U.S. and Overseas [3X]). Moderate temperatures, lower humidity, and plenty of Sun.

I won't speak for the St Pete side, but USF is located in a very busy part of Tampa. They have the big VA Medical Center (James Haley) and numerous other Hospitals and Medical this and that around there. Just a few miles from USF from going clockwise from the Northwest to Northeast are very nice places to live (just a long drive to the beach). If you really need the beach, I would say St Pete.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,189 posts, read 4,364,749 times
I am a USF Tampa alum and I have a child who is attending USF St. Pete.

Given the choice, I would attend USF St. Pete over the main campus any day. Smaller, a much more intimate feel, nearly everything is less than 3 years old and very compact. My child lives in RHO and doesn't have to walk more than a block or two for any of their classes.

Downtown St. Pete is walking distance as is the Dali Museum and many other things to do and see.

I would go with USF St. Pete if your discipline is available there.

RM

Old 08-28-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa from Hawaii View Post
Thanks BucFan. Fortunately the class size appears to have changed dramatically from what I have read.
Daily afternoon thunderstorms? That sucks doesn't it? How do you all cope with that? Is St. Pete the same way?
I cope by doing as much as I can from 0600-1500 hrs, then head inside when it rains. These thunderstorms are usually just during the summer/fall months.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 PM

There were some things I liked about SOCAL and Hawaii and somethings I didn't, but most of all I loved the weather. I also lived in Okinawa and currently in Virginia and have never ever experienced humidity on par with these two places.

Okinawa and Hawaii have huge rainy seasons, and I guess an short afternoon of showers isn't that bad. I guess I'll have to be baptized by fire.

I think I'm going to apply to St. Pete though. Any more advice and still much appreciated, as I have almost a year to change my mind!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 PM

Gotta look at your program/major and course availability at the campus that you choose. Also housing in StPete might be expensive if you want to live near downtown. Also gotta look at part time work options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay