U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 04:06 PM

21 posts, read 178,547 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Tampa next year and I'm trying to find someplace to live but most of the apartments there are tax credit and they say I make too much money for the low income apartments, but I'm only a few hundred dollars above the limit which doesn't leave me with much spending money.

I'm white and I'm 20 years old but they don't know that because the first thing I ask about is the credit limit but it's always I make too much money and they refuse to rent to me after that, from a legal point of view is it discrimination for apartments to refuse to rent to me because I make too much money? I'm trying to keep down costs and need enough to live off of each month. Does this violate the fair housing act? Why is there an income limit when I can afford it? Why do they turn away potential business like that? I can afford the apartment what's the problem?

Doesn't seem fair to me, I can't find anyplace to live and nobody cares and seems to understand I could be on the street soon. It sucks because I have money but nobody wants it What's the big deal?

Help?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 04:24 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,840,316 times
No, its not. They are properties that are basically given "tax credits" to house low income people/families. While I don't think they are fair at all, they are not doing anything legally wrong, their actually working with the government (in a sense) so have the lower rates for the low income people.

Its also not that they just dont want your money, they are legally not able to rent to you with your income

Also, just an FYI. You probably don't want to live in a low income community...

Old 08-31-2013, 05:01 PM

26,816 posts, read 41,595,707 times
I agree with the previous poster...Fair Housing is not based on income. The worst thing is always to just be a couple of dollars above...which counts for everything.

Remember Obama wanting to raise taxes on people above $250K... Which means that they better make a little less, and that same counts for just a few bucks above food stamp level, etc. even though on the other hand you should be happy to have more.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:08 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,018,424 times
It's not discrimination as others have said. You make too much to qualify...it's that simple.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 PM

5,132 posts, read 3,804,302 times
Considering the fact that you are not member of a protected class by Title VII, you would have to prove disparate treatment and being that all people who make above x dont qualify therefore you are not getting treated any different than all the other people making above x.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,131,778 times
Previous posters are correct. You're out of luck.

You may have to live a little further out from town (or worse, right in the middle of a not great area) to find something you can afford. Other options are roommates/ renting a room or picking up another source of income (I know, not great and easier said than done, but you wouldn't be the only one out there).

Obviously everyone would rather pay less for rent. I think the generic rule of thumb is spending about 30% of your income on rent....is that roughly what you're looking at? Tampa does have a pretty aggressive rental market now so it's not unheard of to be spending upwards of 50% of your income. Again, not ideal but that's life.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:53 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,049,139 times
Get a roommate?

Old 09-01-2013, 06:41 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,131,945 times
No. Are the 55+ communities discriminating also? It's how they are set up.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:07 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,217,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthus1 View Post
I want to move to Tampa next year and I'm trying to find someplace to live but most of the apartments there are tax credit and they say I make too much money for the low income apartments, but I'm only a few hundred dollars above the limit which doesn't leave me with much spending money.

I'm white and I'm 20 years old but they don't know that because the first thing I ask about is the credit limit but it's always I make too much money and they refuse to rent to me after that, from a legal point of view is it discrimination for apartments to refuse to rent to me because I make too much money? I'm trying to keep down costs and need enough to live off of each month. Does this violate the fair housing act? Why is there an income limit when I can afford it? Why do they turn away potential business like that? I can afford the apartment what's the problem?

Doesn't seem fair to me, I can't find anyplace to live and nobody cares and seems to understand I could be on the street soon. It sucks because I have money but nobody wants it What's the big deal?

Help?
Unfortunately, it's perfectly legal. In order to get help you need to make such bare minimum to qualify. When I was laid off 2 years ago - my husband and I struggled to get by. Our electric was shut off. There is a program that will help you (not sure exactly - my husband found it) but he alone made too much for us to qualify.

What price range though are you looking for? Tampa has a large amount of apartments, and I'm sure there are some that will be in your price range that are not income restricted.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,611,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
No. Are the 55+ communities discriminating also? It's how they are set up.
I guess what you mean is that this is not illegal or immoral. Or maybe you mean it is not racial discrimination. OP's title and post aren't clear as to what his question is. But your example of a senior community is in fact discrimination. They are set up to discriminate.

It's an important point because it is often ignored that discrimination is widespread. Sometimes discrimination is illegal. Sometimes discrimination is tolerated by the law. Sometimes discrimination is required by the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay