Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:53 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
What do you expect? You are talking about a country where shopping at thrift stores is now more popular than shopping at the mall (thanks Bush and Obama).

I don't remember anyone shopping for all their clothes at thrift shops in the 80s/90s. Nor was there a thrift shop on every corner like now. The thrift stores are raking it in, on the backs of the lower and middle class in this country. The division between rich and poor grows and grows (thanks Bush and Obama).

Today we have Goodwill opening $14 million dollar stores. The "non-profit" Goodwill is expanding faster than any for-profit chain I can think of. Except maybe Aldi.

I worry that we (the non-1 percenters) have a future of Goodwill and Aldi to look forward to. American dream indeed.
Hey you have employers and their low wages to thank for the explosion of thrift stores...I rather wear one shirt until I'm dead than shop at those stores! Again, embarrassing that we want to call ourselves some "super power" yet our people live like that!!!

Forget Aldi...seriously, it's crap. Plus, God knows where that stuff is coming from...eat less, but eat better, otherwise your hospital bill might increase beyond your reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Putting a quarter in the cart? Reusing shopping bags? If that seems like a sacrifice then you've carried the concept of self worth entirely too far.
All stores, grocery or not, should do this so we can stop finding carts by the bus stops, because some people are completely depleted of common sense.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Hey, forget Mercedes...there is this woman driving a ROLLS ROYCE that shops at Target!!!

Huge gray Rolls Royce...

Plus, are you all not aware that a used Mercedes is quite affordable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Surveys show Aldi shoppers have annual household incomes of about $65,000.

The Mercedes and Lexus shopper is NOT typical.

The Kia shopper IS typical.

Jason Hart, the president of Aldi USA, makes my point exactly:

"I think this lousy economy has jolted customers, more and more customers, to give us a try to save money on their groceries."

Grocery Shopping for the Cost-Conscious - ABC News

I've read the Millionaire Next Door, and I'm well aware that some of the wealthy shop for bargains, many of my family members included. In fact, my sister and her husband make several hundred thousands a year and clip more coupons than a family on welfare.

But they are the exception to the rule, not the rule, and the customer base at Aldi is NOT people like my sister, as the statistics clearly show.

My original point was that more and more people have no choice but to shop at Aldi because of the new American economy.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:49 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Hey, forget Mercedes...there is this woman driving a ROLLS ROYCE that shops at Target!!!

Huge gray Rolls Royce...

Plus, are you all not aware that a used Mercedes is quite affordable?

Yep.

1999 Mercedes E320 Good condition

Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
What an excellent point. Unlike trader joes, which are usually located in affluent ares, Aldi stores are usually located in poor areas. Because each store wants to be in or near it's target market.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Exactly...I pity them because the parts for European cars cost more than their monthly payments!

Old 09-04-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
What an excellent point. Unlike trader joes, which are usually located in affluent ares, Aldi stores are usually located in poor areas. Because each store wants to be in or near it's target market.
In Germany they were in the middle of the city, and you didn't have to go to the outskirts to find one. Here, they are in Pinellas Park, by 275 at the edge of bad town on Florida ave...etc.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:51 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
There's an Aldi's in Clearwater on 19, near the Countryside mall which is nicer than the others.

Eggs and Milk are pretty good there.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:06 AM

210 posts, read 382,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I often wonder how many of those Mercedes/Lexus drivers actually own their vehicles outright and aren't paying $400/month or more in payments or a lease.

Just because someone drives a luxury car doesn't mean their finances allow them to - and they most likely are living above their means.

I am reading this thread and wondering how it turned into a personal finance discussion but I agree that having a luxury car usually means lease or loan payments, and there are lots of people who like to shop frugally even through they may not need to. That's why they have money, they have been careful how they spend it.

And I also agree that the presidents alone cannot be held accountable for individual decisions to live way abouve one's means. I think it can be seen in all generations, not just the younger folks....

Old 09-04-2013, 07:09 AM

210 posts, read 382,404 times
Quote:
I'm a little disturbed by all the people here saying they don't buy meats or produce at Aldi. I don't think I would ever say the same about Trader Joe's, and they are owned by the same company. The meats and produce at Trader Joe's are excellent overall.

I guess one has to shop two or three different stores to get a good deal and good quality at the same time. I often wonder whether the time investment is cost efficient.
They are owned by the same company but they are at opposite ends of the cost spectrum. I shop and both and am very careful to read the country of origin at Aldi...I like the store but I am choosy about what I buy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay