Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:47 PM

10 posts, read 11,454 times

Advertisements

Okay, hello all. I've been on here a long time ago (8yrs apprx.), forgot my username, had to start again. ANYWAYS.....

A lot of times you hear people talk about cost of living. Cost of living in Florida being higher than cost of living in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Idaho, and so on. But what I never, ever find in the way of figures. Real amounts....that's what I'm wanting to see. Maybe this can be turned into a sticky for this forum...maybe I'm thinking too much. But please, either show me a specific thread that shows this or I beg all Tampa area residents to show all us non-Floridans the actual price to live in that town (yes, my family is looking to re-locate to that area....but I just GOTTA have some concrete figures here).

Let's hit the basic stuff an everyday person pays in a given month (or year for a couple of things):

Stuff like:

Gas price today vs. National average

Car insurance for an average, $20,000 car/truck with full coverage (we'll call the deductibles $500/$500).

Home insurance, including flood insurance amount.

Rental prices for what size of apartment/mobile home/home (in regards to bedroom size)

Utilities (elec, gas, water, sewer).....this will help me and others on the amount towards respective size of families....being with the home/apt/etc size above.

This is just a start. If any of you can think up another comparison that can be used, speak up loud! I'm a bit tired and not everything is coming to mind right now. But the basics above will be immensely helpful. I know there is differences in location....that is without a doubt. But concrete numbers is a good stepping stone for others wanting to make that trip....especially if you're relocating across the entire US to that area. Thanks a whole bunch for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:00 PM

670 posts, read 1,278,185 times
I will give you some current data.

quote=skippy1970;31261416]Okay, hello all. I've been on here a long time ago (8yrs apprx.), forgot my username, had to start again. ANYWAYS.....

A lot of times you hear people talk about cost of living. Cost of living in Florida being higher than cost of living in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Idaho, and so on. But what I never, ever find in the way of figures. Real amounts....that's what I'm wanting to see. Maybe this can be turned into a sticky for this forum...maybe I'm thinking too much. But please, either show me a specific thread that shows this or I beg all Tampa area residents to show all us non-Floridans the actual price to live in that town (yes, my family is looking to re-locate to that area....but I just GOTTA have some concrete figures here).

Let's hit the basic stuff an everyday person pays in a given month (or year for a couple of things):

Stuff like:

Gas price today vs. National average- Gas is approx 3.54 a gallon in the Tampa Bay area

Car insurance for an average, $20,000 car/truck with full coverage (we'll call the deductibles $500/$500). Depending on company, driving record, location, etc.... but I pay $120 a month w State Farm

Home insurance, including flood insurance amount.

Rental prices for what size of apartment/mobile home/home (in regards to bedroom size)- $1225 for 4 br single family house, 2,000 sq feet, built in 2004.

Utilities (elec, gas, water, sewer).....this will help me and others on the amount towards respective size of families....being with the home/apt/etc size above. Family of 5, elec- usually around $160 a month in winter months, about $230 in summer months, no gas, water $60 a month, no sewer.

Family pack of chicken wings at Publix- Approx $13 a pack. Milk $3.39 a gallon, loaf of bread $2.25, can goods about .95 a can. I personally find groceries, especially meat a little expensive here compared to where I moved from. You can find these items cheaper at other discount stores.

This is just a start. If any of you can think up another comparison that can be used, speak up loud! I'm a bit tired and not everything is coming to mind right now. But the basics above will be immensely helpful. I know there is differences in location....that is without a doubt. But concrete numbers is a good stepping stone for others wanting to make that trip....especially if you're relocating across the entire US to that area. Thanks a whole bunch for the help.[/quote]

Old 09-03-2013, 08:17 PM

Thank you good sir. Exactly what I'm looking for. When it comes to food, it's bad even here (midwest). Hamburger (80% lean) 3.80/lb, whole chickens around $7-8, pork up there near hamburger.....

Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy1970 View Post
Okay, hello all. I've been on here a long time ago (8yrs apprx.), forgot my username, had to start again. ANYWAYS.....

Stuff like:

Gas price today vs. National average I'm probably not useful for this since I drive diesel.

Car insurance for an average, $20,000 car/truck with full coverage (we'll call the deductibles $500/$500). Our 2 cars are about 300 a month, both 2010 VWs with USAA. State farm wanted double that though.

Home insurance, including flood insurance amount. n/a

Rental prices for what size of apartment/mobile home/home (in regards to bedroom size) We rent a 2k sq foot 3b2b house in brandon for 1300.

Utilities (elec, gas, water, sewer).....this will help me and others on the amount towards respective size of families....being with the home/apt/etc size above. 2 adults 1 toddler - electricity is 150 summer, 75 winter. Gas is 30 (water heater) and water is 30. We're on septic so no sewer.

This is just a start. If any of you can think up another comparison that can be used, speak up loud! I'm a bit tired and not everything is coming to mind right now. But the basics above will be immensely helpful. I know there is differences in location....that is without a doubt. But concrete numbers is a good stepping stone for others wanting to make that trip....especially if you're relocating across the entire US to that area. Thanks a whole bunch for the help.
my comments are in bold. I'm from nebraska though. Gas prices are pretty much the same here. Rent is about 30% higher than back home. Utilities are about the same maybe slightly lower because i'm in a more energy efficient house than back home. Car insurance is double than back home for less coverage. That is the huge point for me. I had 250/500k coverage in Nebraska for 150 for two cars. Down here we have 25/50k. State farm wanted us to pay 400 a month for the 25/50k and an extra 100 for renters. Luckily we switched to USAA military coverage and it dropped to ~300.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 PM

Thanks Rez. I will add those figures to my data. I really appreciate it, but....

ummm, just a side question: Why are you wishing you were back in Nebraska? Florida not to your liking? I've lived in Kansas for most of my life. There is scant, if any, opportunities here in the flat wastelands. Jobs?....yes, there are jobs here and there. But the boredom of living in a land that has few lakes/rivers, hardly any landscape, and dying small towns is something I want to get away from personally.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:13 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
It's really not that easy to have exact figures until you move here because:
1. We don't know what kind of house you want
2. What kind of house you want to rent
3. What area you will be in (flooding, sink holes etc)
4. How much you're eating (in home or outside)
5. What your car insurance is going to be
6. What you like to do for entertainment
7. How many Tv channels you like to have...(FIOS can cost over $200/mo)
8. What phones you have and what features
9. How often you shop for cars, clothes, shoes, patio, furniture, beach/pool stuff
10. What kind of pool you'll have + maintenance

..........and the list goes on and on...these COL estimators online are a complete waste of time. Until you actually LIVE here, and know your daily expense in and out, you won't have a correct number.

Utilities depend on how cold you want to keep your house, how many baths you take a month, how much you water your lawn, and how long you run your water heater...how big the house is...how old the AC unit is and so on...My col won't be yours.

The cost of living here is higher than in the midwest because this is Florida! Vacation State! Lots of tourist traps at every corner...but because the wages are much lower, and there are a lot of people working minimum wage in retail, or restaurant etc, car insurance has skyrocketed because these folks just can't afford it...so they get it, register their cars and then DROP IT because not many can afford $250+ per month in car insurance for one person. That alone is the #1 budget drainer here. Then you have high rents, and if you buy and you're not paying attention you'll have high CDDs and HOAs...

You're going to drive yourself crazy if you're looking online. But if you move here and make 6 figures, you won't have a lot to worry about...(unless you overextend yourself).

Old 09-04-2013, 06:33 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
9. How often you shop for cars, clothes, shoes, patio, furniture, beach/pool stuff

..........and the list goes on and on...these COL estimators online are a complete waste of time. Until you actually LIVE here, and know your daily expense in and out, you won't have a correct number.

Utilities depend on how cold you want to keep your house, how many baths you take a month, how much you water your lawn, and how long you run your water heater...how big the house is...how old the AC unit is and so on...My col won't be yours.

The cost of living here is higher than in the midwest because this is Florida! Vacation State! Lots of tourist traps at every corner...but because the wages are much lower, and there are a lot of people working minimum wage in retail, or restaurant etc, car insurance has skyrocketed because these folks just can't afford it...so they get it, register their cars and then DROP IT because not many can afford $250+ per month in car insurance for one person. That alone is the #1 budget drainer here. Then you have high rents, and if you buy and you're not paying attention you'll have high CDDs and HOAs...

You're going to drive yourself crazy if you're looking online. But if you move here and make 6 figures, you won't have a lot to worry about...(unless you overextend yourself).
I pay $65/month full coverage, full six month paid in advance.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy1970 View Post
Thanks Rez. I will add those figures to my data. I really appreciate it, but....

ummm, just a side question: Why are you wishing you were back in Nebraska? Florida not to your liking? I've lived in Kansas for most of my life. There is scant, if any, opportunities here in the flat wastelands. Jobs?....yes, there are jobs here and there. But the boredom of living in a land that has few lakes/rivers, hardly any landscape, and dying small towns is something I want to get away from personally.
Omaha is nothing like a dying small town, its a thriving metropolitan with about 1m people when you include all the little suburbs around it. Lowest unemployment rating in the entire US. I'm not a fan of this hot weather year round, I like my seasons other than "hot and not so hot". The people are too me-centric down here.

(and i dont have a choice where we live before anyone harps on me about that. We're military so we go where we're told - 6 more years til retirement).

Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

Well said!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,993 times
It really depends on the area here.

I can tell you right now that you will NOT find a 4 br home with new amenities (2004 house, ha!) in South Tampa for $1250. You will find a 1950s block home that is a 2/1 or 3/1 for $1300-1400 if you are patient.

In those older homes, you are going to pay more for electricity. I rented one before I recently purchased. We kept the thermostat around 74-75 on average. 2 people living in the home. In summer, our bill was $250-350. In winter, $150ish. Water/sewage/trash was around $60 per month.

Verizon FiOS with 1 DVR HD box with their Prime HD package is around $110/mo with taxes, fees, etc.

The home I purchased recently...insurance is around $2000/year and that is cheap from what I found. Some quoted up to $3700/yr. Taxes are around $2000/year as well. This is for a 2500sq ft home built in the 60s in South Tampa.

Again, it all depends on WHERE you want to live in the Tampa Bay area. I think that could shift your monthly expenses $500-1000 easily from one area to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay