U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 PM

12 posts, read 20,172 times

Advertisements

I just tried shopping at Aldi for the first time, the Clearwater one on US19. I did manage to find a fair amount of my list, but most of the produce was non existent. I'm not sure if this is because its Sunday, and therefore a bad day to shop, or if some stores carry a bit more selection and quantity than others. Does selection tend to be consistent, or is it hit or miss as to what you'll find each week? What Aldi are you near and what do you think of it? Do you have favorite items that you love to get? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 PM

2,727 posts, read 4,631,224 times
Aldi is standard. They are the same over here ( I tried the exact same location and the one in Town n Country, exactly the same) unless you go to Europe where they carry a bit more where I see seafood and more meat selection than here.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:31 PM

400 posts, read 659,391 times
I've been to Aldi's on 19 once just to check it out. I did get a few things, didn't like the produce but I did get cherries and they were not good. Nibbled around a few and threw the rest out. I may go back to take a better look at the bottled and packaged goods.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:45 PM

26,824 posts, read 41,606,858 times
I don't like Aldi over here but in Europe they have very good bread and other great items and I had hoped they would have the same brands as over there, so I was disappointed when the only thing was the annoying carts where you have to put a coin in and to bring it back to get that coin back...

That was the part that I was glad to leave behind in Europe as well as bringing in your own bags...oops now I probably will be slammed with negative remarks but live over here is so much easier so I'm just saing how nice it is to live over here with less rules and regulations for as long as it will still be this way

Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 PM

400 posts, read 659,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't like Aldi over here but in Europe they have very good bread and other great items and I had hoped they would have the same brands as over there, so I was disappointed when the only thing was the annoying carts where you have to put a coin in and to bring it back to get that coin back...

That was the part that I was glad to leave behind in Europe as well as bringing in your own bags...oops now I probably will be slammed with negative remarks but live over here is so much easier so I'm just saing how nice it is to live over here with less rules and regulations for as long as it will still be this way
That's not negative, just facts of shopping there. I was surprised about the quarter carts and also no bags! The cashier started ringing up my things and tossing them into the cart. I had to laugh and cashier appreciated that. As I left, other shoppers were laughing and said to just grab any box in the store. Now I know!

Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 AM

5,608 posts, read 2,664,551 times
Most supermarkets in Europe have coin trolleys - it ensures they're always returned to the same place and cuts the cost of having to employ someone to fetch them back from all over the car park and sometimes beyond.
There's also a rapid move towards charging for plastic shopping bags as an effective way of cleaning up the environment.
In terms of price,efficiency and recycling of trash America lags way behind much of the rest of the world.
Aldi and Lidl are highly competitive in Europe with stores often built next to each other and although they are both very cheap they also score highly in terms of food quality and variety.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 28,015,381 times
The Save-Alot in our area tried the coin shopping cart and got rid of them after a month or two. I think the elderly shoppers couldn't figure them out.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:50 AM

15,863 posts, read 33,276,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrips View Post
I just tried shopping at Aldi for the first time, the Clearwater one on US19. I did manage to find a fair amount of my list, but most of the produce was non existent. I'm not sure if this is because its Sunday, and therefore a bad day to shop, or if some stores carry a bit more selection and quantity than others. Does selection tend to be consistent, or is it hit or miss as to what you'll find each week? What Aldi are you near and what do you think of it? Do you have favorite items that you love to get? Thanks!
ALDI stores usually carry the same items in their stores. Whether one store is "better" than another probably depends on management and where it is. I shop at the one in Bradenton, which is a fairly new store. It is nice and clean, and I buy certain things there each week. I do find many products of superb quality under their private labels.

Great chocolates, wines, cheese, salsa, hummus, almond milk, yogurt, chips of all kinds, bacon and much of their produce. I understand the produce quality can vary from store to store, but this store it is always pretty good and fresh.

Other than bacon, I stay away from their meats. I also do not buy processed frozen dinners and the like, so can't speak to that. Overall, ALDI is a great value and I shop there regularly, but not for my entire grocery list.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:57 AM

3,252 posts, read 2,263,436 times
when i was in college in iowa, aldi is where the poor shopped. people on welfare and dirt-poor college kids. we would buy sacks of cereal and live off that. or maybe a package of like 100 hot dogs.

now it's where the middle class shops.

that's all you need to know about the state of the American economy right there

Last edited by sinatras; 09-02-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 AM

17,622 posts, read 11,532,812 times
The one in Portrichey was about bare bones as you can get. Went once and never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or