U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 12:08 PM

8 posts, read 16,772 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old male whom recently accepted a job offer in the Tampa bay area. I currently live in a 'trendy' neighborhood in Columbus called German Village. It has plenty of bars/restaurants, and is rather walkable for much of what there is to do in Columbus. I am looking for a similar neighborhood in Tampa. Since I will have a job, but my boyfriend (who is moving with me) will not, my rent budget is $800 tops. I am fine with a one bedroom or studio, but I just do not know where to look. I see that hyde park, or SOHO seems like my type of scene but I don't know if a $800 budget for a one bedroom is enough. Oh, and I have two small dogs under 20 lbs that will be moving with me as well. I am looking for any opinion or reference I can get. I will not be moving until February 2014, so I have a little under 6 months to plan this, I just would like to get everything in order now.
Also, although I will move to Tampa, my job is in Largo, which from what I have researched may take a bit of a commute, so information on that will also be helpful.
Thank You!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 PM

175 posts, read 329,999 times
Eh, if you are working in Largo, why not look for housing in Pinellas county? I don't think your budget is acceptable for South Tampa but you will 100% find something in Pinellas.

Pinellas doesn't have the South Tampa scene, but honestly that scene really isn't that cool to begin with. Go to Pinellas. There are lots of bars/clubs along Central Ave which are far enjoyable. If you want to move to FL and be straight up in a party scene, I would recommend Miami.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM

Believe me, I would prefer to live in Pinellas County, but the sacrifice I had to make in order for my boyfriend to move with me, was to live in Tampa. he has personal reasons for not wanting to live in Pinellas unfortunately (and it is not the people or anything)

Old 09-06-2013, 01:03 PM

175 posts, read 329,999 times
Ah, the relationship factor. Luckily that's a two way street. If he demands living in Tampa, then you should demand that he get a job. ~1,200 seems like a reasonable price to rent a 1 bedroom in Hyde Park

Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 PM

500 posts, read 1,100,555 times
I live in Columbus, and I'm working on moving to the TB area in a couple of years, so I've been researching places to live myself. If you're going to be working in Largo, you do NOT want to live in Tampa proper...the daily commute will be hell. Think of driving from German Village to Marysville everyday, with traffic that crawls like the downtown split since they started the construction.

In that price range (which is pretty similar to ours), you're not really going to get anywhere that has the German Village vibe, except maybe on the outskirts of Gulfport in south St Pete, which is actually more like the Short North than German Village.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM

641 posts, read 949,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
Ah, the relationship factor.
yep, to be 22 again and "in love" lmfaooo classic

Old 09-06-2013, 01:57 PM

51 posts, read 84,192 times
Your commute will likely be at least 45 minutes. Something to keep in mind. I currently commute from Largo to downtown Tampa and that's what it is on a typical day. A lot of it is stop n' go with all the lights. I'm glad I'm not staying in Largo because it's getting to me. I see just as much traffic going the reverse direction, which is what you'll be doing.

Try to live in Northwest Tampa if Tampa is a "must"..that's at least closer to the bridge. What does he have against Pinellas that isn't the same in Hillsborough?

Old 09-06-2013, 02:11 PM

Thank you all for the information. See the story as to why I said I would live in Tampa is because, he is quitting a rather lucrative job here, in order to come with me to Florida. He took this career change as a chance to finish cosmetology school, and he has chosen one that he can transfer previous hours from here, and it is located in Tampa. Since he sacrificed his job, I said I would live closer to his school rather than my work. He will also look for a job during the day, but his classes will be at night, so the commute is on me. Then when he graduates, we will move to st. pete area. But for now, Tampa is the option, at least for the first 8 months.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 PM

51 posts, read 84,192 times
Ah, ok. Well, there's a time limit on it. So you can survive that for a while. Compromise is good then we'll be St. Pete neighbors!

Old 03-12-2016, 01:12 PM

22 posts, read 20,058 times
I moved from Columbus to Pinellas county (Dunedin, specifically) and I will warn you that you are probably not going to find anything comparable to trendy German Village. Everything is very spread out down here and not at all like Columbus. From where I live, driving to Tampa or even St.Petersburg is a pain in the ass and takes forever. That being said, the little town I live in is overall very safe and has a cute, walkable downtown area. I live right on the water and it takes me just a few minutes to drive to the beach. However, job opportunities for young professionals are seemingly scarce and we have surprisingly fewer amenities than Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay