Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 05:04 AM

121 posts, read 221,291 times

Advertisements

As I am new to the area, I am interested in learning the best type of tint to get for good cooling effect and the best places to go. Thanks so much ( I live in the Lithia area, but anywhere good is fine).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 05:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I used the Toyota dealership in Brandon for mine. Took them about an hour or maybe two. These folks do all the new car sales as well. Lifetime guarantee. Think it cost me somewhere between $100-200. They only do tinting in accordance with Florida laws. I can tell a dramatic effect. I drive a black car and thought this summer would be way too hot for a black car but the tint has helped a lot. I know people who have had the tint too dark (and illegal) and you can't see the drivers' profile whatsoever and at night it seems way too dark - so be careful how dark you get it (besides, you could possibly get ticketed).

Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,831 times
I bought a car once that did not pass inspection because the window tinting that was on it from the previous owner was too dark. Let me tell you what a pain it was to scrape it all off!! So I would definitely make sure it's legal.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 AM

443 posts, read 558,398 times
There is no tint that provides a "cooling effect," just ones that provide a less intensely hot effect.

I've had solar guard, and now suntek. Both work well.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 AM

121 posts, read 221,291 times
Thank you all! BucFan, as I live close to Brandon I will call Toyota so thanks a lot. I don't want to be illegal either. Did they do all of the windows ? I have a black car too and was thinking that maybe I would want the tint to come down a few inches on the top of the front windshield (maybe 6") would that make sense?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
I have the top of my windshield tinted, I bought the car that way. I think it helps when you are driving towards the sun. In my company car (without the tint) with the visors down I still get blinded by what still gets through in the space around the rearview mirror.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandthee View Post
Thank you all! BucFan, as I live close to Brandon I will call Toyota so thanks a lot. I don't want to be illegal either. Did they do all of the windows ? I have a black car too and was thinking that maybe I would want the tint to come down a few inches on the top of the front windshield (maybe 6") would that make sense?
I didn't do my windshield. I think it kind of looks bad, especially on new cars. But I think they do it and charge an xtra $25. My car has some kind of tint on the windshield on the top 6 inches anyway - (2012 Honda Civic).

Old 09-09-2013, 02:45 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
There are lots of window tinting shops around. Some will come and do it in your driveway.
It should run no more than $150.00 for 5 windows (back too) and a strip for the windshield.
Nobody will use the illegal dark material unless you insist on it. There are several manufacturers of the material out there. Just go name brand and you should be fine. It will last many years. Don't do it yourself. You will eventually wind up with a bubble effect. The tinting most surely will keep you from getting a sun tan on your left side. Get a foil sun shield for your windshield and use it. They are inexpensive. You then will be able to get into a cooler car, it will protect your dashboard and your seat coverings. Don't bother with cardboard sun shield.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 PM

892 posts, read 1,576,492 times
Look for a shop that uses LLUMAR brand film......best you can get.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:57 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Yes. That is a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Look for a shop that uses LLUMAR brand film......best you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay