Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 936,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
So you are saying flood insurance in general is going to triple across the board?. I understood you had to be on an "A" or "V" zone to even qualify for subsidies that are being phased out. V would be a waterfront property and A in a special hazard zone, those properties get subsidized at varied rates those are the ones getting hit especially the investor owned. I have flood insurance I am in a B zone I dont get any subsidies so I dont see how I can be affected by the phasing out of said subsidies.
You are correct, you won't be affected by the subsidy phase-out. Of course, there's still political risk. As examples, the flood maps may be re-drawn to put you or me in high risk flood zones (flood maps are at least as much politics as science) or the NFIP may be disbanded in favor of private flood insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,896 times
FYI on Foreclosures: ... Beware of buying a Foreclosure that is owned by HUD. A company out of Atlanta named PEMCO has been contracted by HUD to sell HUD foreclosures. I recently bought one of their foreclosure homes in Indiana. What a nightmare. Unethical company (PEMCO) refused to pay (usual and customary) HUD's SELLER closing costs with "NO previous to closing day" DISCLOSURE, or notification, until we were at the closing table. Make sure you are not anxious to close. This is an Unethical company that I have reported to the Indiana Attorney General's office with this issue. Had I not had money for the unexpected costs and couldn't have closed that day? HUD would have fined me and my bank loan would have had to start anew. I feel sorry for the couples that don't/won't have the extra money for these unexpected costs. I know it was illegal, but I didn't want to pay more in the end for not closing. This was partly my "fraudulent" realtor's fault as well. Many buyers / sellers don't ask what their costs will be before time. I did and still wasn't protected. I am sure lots of fraud went on with HUD / PEMCO. Just be very careful who your realtor is and title company too. Make sure they give you enough disclosure time so you can dispute it before time. Get all the costs in writing way before time if you can. This is NATIONWIDE problem as HUD is a federal agency with foreclosures all over the USA. The homes they foreclosed on are the ones that had PMI insurance with low down payments. The same ones that builders sell to young couples that really are mislead about mortgage payments. The mortgage companies are in cahoots with the builders. Also, make sure you go to your own bank; one that you trust.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,933,250 times
I've been looking at condos in New Port Richey east of 19. It seems that whole area is flood prone with a rating of AE. I'm thinking part of it is lack of drainage plus with the amount of streams and ponds in that area. On various areas it seem 1 out 4 condos are either short sales or forclosures. I'm sceptical about buying in Florida after my searches. Also the range in HOA fees is a joke.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,176,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I've been looking at condos in New Port Richey east of 19. It seems that whole area is flood prone with a rating of AE. I'm thinking part of it is lack of drainage plus with the amount of streams and ponds in that area. On various areas it seem 1 out 4 condos are either short sales or forclosures. I'm sceptical about buying in Florida after my searches. Also the range in HOA fees is a joke.
So, you searched in New Port Richey and from what you saw you are skeptical of buying in Florida?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
So, you searched in New Port Richey and from what you saw you are skeptical of buying in Florida?
What is your question? New Port Richey is in Florida, correct? I'm not looking for sarcasm, just feedback.

A lot of other areas I maybe couldn't afford. I do own a house here in NJ also. Being more specific with maybe some feedback......would be nice!

Old 10-24-2013, 04:20 PM

35,358 posts, read 20,722,137 times
welcome to our area- that is a typical response. gotta look for sea levels and the flood zones I think you can get that from HUD? I- I think last night they say pretty much Pinnellas County n South Tampa are all flood areas. We are Swiss cheese from an aerial view-- water -everywhere and when it rains, it floods in a lot of areas/ but also in NPR-- please rem to ask about SINK HOLES... FL sits on lime rock or something and a lot of rain or no rain and it breaks away underneath the earth. Not everywhere-- just ask- before you buy. Whn you are counting pennies, do your homework. Hope you find something nice.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
welcome to our area- that is a typical response. gotta look for sea levels and the flood zones I think you can get that from HUD? I- I think last night they say pretty much Pinnellas County n South Tampa are all flood areas. We are Swiss cheese from an aerial view-- water -everywhere and when it rains, it floods in a lot of areas/ but also in NPR-- please rem to ask about SINK HOLES... FL sits on lime rock or something and a lot of rain or no rain and it breaks away underneath the earth. Not everywhere-- just ask- before you buy. Whn you are counting pennies, do your homework. Hope you find something nice.
Thanks so much for the feedback. My Dad at 98 lost his home to Sandy, with 2 1/2 ft of water on the first floor that sits on a 2 ft foundation here in NJ. That's the caution I have about flooding and nearby water. Among other issues some areas of Florida can have like the sink holes, crime areas and spotty areas of people who don't take care of their homes.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 PM

35,358 posts, read 20,722,137 times
welll--- I don't like NPR- will go to Palm Harbor- Sarasota even Bradenton. My favorite is Clearwater and will do St Pete, lots of activity in St Pete- One thing to rem there is very little transportation for the elderly here. I am from Miami and to me, there is lack- in certain areas. My step mom is 93 still in Miami and they pick her up daily and take her to the civic center to do stuff for free. She loves it. I dont know what you are looking for- I just find everybody stays to themselves.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:07 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,680,593 times
Housing boom, then crash of the market. It's like this in all states. Sad and unfortunate but nothing we can do about it.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Housing boom, then crash of the market. It's like this in all states. Sad and unfortunate but nothing we can do about it.
Yes I heard of this but......with the boom, then crash, houses costing $3-400,000 is understandable as they're not worth as much as what the loan is for. The condos in NPR are a lot lower in cost. The situation should be different. Maybe someone can help me out, a foreclosure on a $75,000 condo, so many? It seems to me to be a different problem, maybe insurance rates going through the roof???? Flood or sink hole problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay