Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 02:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

They put hazard lights on a car for a reason and that reason IMO is to warn other drivers of a perceived potential hazard, who is in the best position to deduce that potential hazard? A bureaucrat sitting in an office in Tallahassee or you who is behind the wheel doing 70 and are about to quickly reduce your speed because of some hazard you are about to encounter and want to warn those behind you of your intentions, if the guy in front of me all of a sudden activates his hazard lights i immediately become much more attentive,did he blow an engine? has he got a flat? is there a large animal in the road? whats he seeing that i'm not,i get very prepared to make a potential major speed change, thank you for alerting me with your hazard lights..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Germans have driving down to a science. You actually have to show you're competent to drive - with a formal school, from my understanding - before allowed to drive. Another rule I like over there is that the left lane is used for passing and there's no passing from the right. But now that I've learned that's not the case here - I love the right hand lane and stay in it, pass in it, and cruise in it for my travels because it seems no one likes the right hand lane on interstates roadways.
I was on vacation in Munich in 1993 and remember 2 cars on the Autobahn chasing each other at speeds of 120+mph (actually some kind of French car (looked like a Citroen XM(?) from the old days would not let a 5 series Bimmer pass). This went on until they disappeared from sight. French-German rivarly? blah..

Germans are notorious for speeding on their expressways and have heard of horrific accidents taking place. That is not a safe practice. The only reason their highways seem to be safer, is because there aren't 250 million vehicles driving on them as in the US. Nonetheless, a lot of reckless driving there too (I call that stupidity, not science).

Old 09-16-2013, 02:00 PM

153 posts, read 192,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
his hazard lights i immediately become much more attentive,did he blow an engine? has he got a flat? is there a large animal in the road? whats he seeing that i'm not,i get very prepared to make a potential major speed change, thank you for alerting me with your hazard lights..

Exactly, but thats why I think hazzard lights are irrelevant in the rain. There's no hazzard he's seeing I'm not, unless the hazzard is he was too cheap and negligent to have tires with the proper tread on them, in which case stay home.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:35 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsharkJB View Post
Exactly, but thats why I think hazzard lights are irrelevant in the rain. There's no hazzard he's seeing I'm not, unless the hazzard is he was too cheap and negligent to have tires with the proper tread on them, in which case stay home.
..or pull over onto the shoulder, which is where all the cars with their flashers on belong.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Germans are notorious for speeding on their expressways and have heard of horrific accidents taking place. That is not a safe practice. The only reason their highways seem to be safer, is because there aren't 250 million vehicles driving on them as in the US. Nonetheless, a lot of reckless driving there too (I call that stupidity, not science).
Where do you get this from?

Beginning to think your posts are meant to incite responses. You visit someplace once and see two cars travelling at a moderate rate of speed in 1993. You have heard of horrific accidents. Then go on to conclude, nonetheless, a lot of reckless driving there (Germany) too.

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-17-2013 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Where do you get this from?

Beginning to think your posts are meant to incite responses. You talk like a fool. You visit someplace once and see two cars travelling at a moderate rate of speed in 1993. You have heard of horrific accidents. Then go on to conclude, nonetheless, a lot of reckless driving there (Germany) too.
Hmm, let's see..where do I get this from?

The horrifying aftermath of a crash that kills 6 after car drives wrong way on German motorway - YouTube

BMW M5 F10 186mph Crash in Germany | April 2012 - YouTube

""The German Autobahns are famous for being some of the few public roads in the world without blanket speed limits for cars. Nevertheless the overall road traffic safety of the German motorway system is comparable to that of other Western-European highways. But as proven this week, it doesn't take much to get into an accident, especially when you are driving very fast.""

BMW M5 F10 186mph Crash in Germany April 2012

Horrific? Nah.. not reckless, it's science.

There's more on YouTube...no need to prove my case. Point is, speed kills and this is definitely not science as the other guy wrote. This proves you just talked like a fool.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
German drivers are 1000x better drivers than what you find in the United States. I can't remember the last time I saw a 80-yr old German driver - that's because they're pretty strick on who is allowed to drive. You also have to have a vehicle inspection - not here. I've seen cars WITHOUT HEADLIGHTS OR TAIL LIGHTS driving down streets and interstate roadways on a regular basis. I see cars here with bumpers nearly falling off and duct tape holding doors on. You couldn't drive very far before being pulled over in Germany with that ****.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 AM

American drivers crash at 50 mph after a little rain.

Germans are able to drive at fast rates of speed because they have the roads and driving skills. Not every one drives at 186 mph over there - in fact, it's a rarity - and illegal if the conditions don't allow it. Nowhere has it been posted that Germans don't get in car wrecks.

I'd also bet that there are more people on American roadways WITHOUT car insurance compared to Germany.

And BTW, I served in the military in Germany -I'm fully American 100%.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
American drivers crash at 50 mph after a little rain.

Germans are able to drive at fast rates of speed because they have the roads and driving skills. Not every one drives at 186 mph over there - in fact, it's a rarity - and illegal if the conditions don't allow it. Nowhere has it been posted that Germans don't get in car wrecks.

I'd also bet that there are more people on American roadways WITHOUT car insurance compared to Germany.

And BTW, I served in the military in Germany -I'm fully American 100%.
I would say typical driving speeds at the Autobahn are in excess of 120mph. To me it seems like Germans are not smart at all if they drive at those speeds(recipe for disaster). Cars are not meant for sustained or frequent top speeds, neither human abilities to stay focused on such high speeds. Accidents happen at the blink of any eye.

I'd rather be in a 50mph car wreck than one on the Autobahn. Driving is not science, it's a necessity today...and he/she who speeds... some day dies. Insurance has nothing to do with what we're discussing here.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM

I drove there for over 2 decades and would average 120 mph (72 mph) and be the guy in the left lane passing other traffic. Of course, you'd have to keep an eye out for a porsche, mercedes, or audi going much faster, but in that country there's no "hanging out" in the left lane like here. I've lived here four years in the Tampa area and have seen more fatal crashes in that time than over two decades of driving the autobahns over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay