Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
....Yes! And that is specifically because of low wages! Low wages can't buy much these days. Wages are not addressed with inflation. The inflation grows, wages don't.

That is true. Inflation grows, wages dont. Employers are affected by inflation too. Their profits decrease because they all cant raise prices or fees for their services so of course wages dont increase when the business is not profiting well enough to hire more people or pay higher wages to the existing workers.
Everybody just has to do their best to work where they can get the best wage. Regardless of what one does for a living, there may be a better paying employer for what they do. Usually though wages are pretty much the same for similar work in a geographical area. That makes it silly to change employers for a few dollars a month more in salary. Tenure has its benefits. Stay long, get paid more as you go along, providing you are keeping up with the requirements of the job and hopefully surpassing the requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:42 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That is true. Inflation grows, wages dont. Employers are affected by inflation too. Their profits decrease because they all cant raise prices or fees for their services so of course wages dont increase when the business is not profiting well enough to hire more people or pay higher wages to the existing workers.
Everybody just has to do their best to work where they can get the best wage. Regardless of what one does for a living, there may be a better paying employer for what they do. Usually though wages are pretty much the same for similar work in a geographical area. That makes it silly to change employers for a few dollars a month more in salary. Tenure has its benefits. Stay long, get paid more as you go along, providing you are keeping up with the requirements of the job and hopefully surpassing the requirements.
No! , my son worked at one job 10 yrs- top seller- got one of those diamond rings like football players wear. Oh!! year little slow in the industry- hmm how can we maintain profits,,, hmm who gets paid to too much?? hmm --cut the top off and hire the new kids on the block and save a bundle on salaries. bye bye,,, Ok -no problem took manager job # 2,,, 7 yrs,, looking good,,, what!!! 2500 mid level mgrs to be let go at one time. Re structuring.. wham again.. doesn't really work that way anymore.
One position I had, someone did some illegal price rigging in NY,,, affected the whole global corp.. 5000 laid off in first week... it was in the papers,,, and bye bye,,, previously I had another sweet job till 9-11 then bamb.. adios amigos... we restructuring. Do not depend on anything in Florida-and these where NOT fly by night small companies, but huge corporations that promote growth---- bla bla

Old 09-23-2013, 07:48 PM

Yes, i agree that does happen in large corporations. No matter who you are you are gone. I gave uo on large corporations a long time ago. I realized what they were all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
No! , my son worked at one job 10 yrs- top seller- got one of those diamond rings like football players wear. Oh!! year little slow in the industry- hmm how can we maintain profits,,, hmm who gets paid to too much?? hmm --cut the top off and hire the new kids on the block and save a bundle on salaries. bye bye,,, Ok -no problem took manager job # 2,,, 7 yrs,, looking good,,, what!!! 2500 mid level mgrs to be let go at one time. Re structuring.. wham again.. doesn't really work that way anymore.
One position I had, someone did some illegal price rigging in NY,,, affected the whole global corp.. 5000 laid off in first week... it was in the papers,,, and bye bye,,, previously I had another sweet job till 9-11 then bamb.. adios amigos... we restructuring. Do not depend on anything in Florida-and these where NOT fly by night small companies, but huge corporations that promote growth---- bla bla

Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,276 times
Quote:
"top seller" ... that is/was the problem and part of the sales game. Its a beaut when things are rocking but horrid when they are not. Anyone in sales should be aware of the game and the price you pay for unlimited income potential (theoretically). I got burned bad when 9/11 happened, I was in sales, and instantly nothing was moving. It burned me bad enough that I left the sales field and never returned. Do I miss it, yep, but for me, at my age and number of mouths depending on me, its just not my cup of tea anymore.

Funny, there is a saying in the sales business, no matter what your cycle is for sales numbers the one thing the top seller must understand its, "Hero to Zero" each time.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:23 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Yea so this just adds to what the new kids on the block are figuring out- what mom & dad poured all their hearts and time in- at the end- they booted them out before retirement. I think of all the school activities I missed and other invite your parenst to stuff I should have been at for my kids and was "working" in the end for what! sorry folks I see it everyday- young kids with no work ethics or loyalty- they were the kids whose parents always had to work,,, life has changed

Old 09-29-2013, 01:18 PM

A career in sales is very different than most occupations. Sales folks sometimes tend to get stale after a while and new blood (usually younger) can bring a new drive to the business. And like you stated, they can pay them less.

I had the opportunity to get in touch with the HR department of a mid-size international corporation I left 26 years ago. In HR there is one person who was a clerical worker when I came aboard in 1978. Today she is Senior Vice President of HR. Another who is still there came in later but has over 30 years with the company in HR. I don't know who else may be around there after all this time, surely a few. So, it doesnt happen all the time. I find that mass layoffs happen in very large corporations where they were basically personnel-heavy to begin with.

I am also aware of people in FL that are still on their jobs 25+ years later and I know people who got cut from positions that they had for a while. The ones who were cut were with big corporations. The ones still on the job are with small companies.

Quote:

Old 09-29-2013, 01:20 PM

Nobody on their deathbed ever said "gee, I wish I spent more time at the office"

Quote:
Yea so this just adds to what the new kids on the block are figuring out- what mom & dad poured all their hearts and time in- at the end- they booted them out before retirement. I think of all the school activities I missed and other invite your parenst to stuff I should have been at for my kids and was "working" in the end for what! sorry folks I see it everyday- young kids with no work ethics or loyalty- they were the kids whose parents always had to work,,, life has changed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay