Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 04:48 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times

Advertisements

When buying a short sale, and being offered a home warranty, does that mean that if there are repairs or service calls needed during the warranty period, the new homeowner has to pay for it out of pocket? as if it was a regular service call? or it should be covered by that home warranty!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 05:04 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
The home warranty will cover repairs/replacement of covered items. There is usually an itemized list of what is covered.

I had a home warranty, it was something my realtor asked for. The seller was as stingy as could be and didn't want to pay for it, so the selling realtor did.

The warranty ended up getting me a new water heater because the hot water was brown and insufficiently hot when I moved in. I had to pay a $60 service fee, which isn't bad.

I called them for something else and ended up paying the $60 service fee for someone to come out and tell me it wasn't covered. I ended up fixing the problem myself, which I would have done in the first place if I didn't have the home warranty. So, I've decided I won't be renewing it. I just got the letter in the mail last week and they want like $400 to renew it.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:46 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
The home warranty will cover repairs/replacement of covered items. There is usually an itemized list of what is covered.

I had a home warranty, it was something my realtor asked for. The seller was as stingy as could be and didn't want to pay for it, so the selling realtor did.

The warranty ended up getting me a new water heater because the hot water was brown and insufficiently hot when I moved in. I had to pay a $60 service fee, which isn't bad.

I called them for something else and ended up paying the $60 service fee for someone to come out and tell me it wasn't covered. I ended up fixing the problem myself, which I would have done in the first place if I didn't have the home warranty. So, I've decided I won't be renewing it. I just got the letter in the mail last week and they want like $400 to renew it.
Thank you for clarifying that.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:37 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
It is a great tool to have the major items covered when you buy an "ASIs " home and to make sure the average call will be no more than $75.

If you have multiple items break down at the same time then you pay a one time fee but if more then one contractor is involved then younpaynthat amount for each service contractor.

It can also be a great tool when the seller doesn't have money for repairs that come up during the home inspection as long as they were not hidden and known.

For example if an AC is kept together with tape then it is not covered but if the AC is not working properly it can be fixed for $75.

I don't like warranties too much but this one can actually save money in cases of being unaware what can be wrong.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:29 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
Im working on a bank owned sale with a buyer just now and it is offering a home warranty, only problem is there are no appliances and no ac !

Old 09-23-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
Im working on a bank owned sale with a buyer just now and it is offering a home warranty, only problem is there are no appliances and no ac !
There is plumbing, or not? If it is offered then be happy that it can cover anything else that is there and btw appliances have to be added since that is not standard under a home warranty.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:33 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
There are warranties for the seller and the buyer - 2 different options. If warranty service is needed before the sale, it should be arranged by the seller. Subsequently, if the service is needed after the sale, the buyer pays.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
There are warranties for the seller and the buyer - 2 different options. If warranty service is needed before the sale, it should be arranged by the seller. Subsequently, if the service is needed after the sale, the buyer pays.
Very true but the home warranty itself can be a gift from the seller to the buyer to show they house is more trustworthy to buy then without the warranty since you have some kind of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay