Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:04 AM

260 posts, read 387,709 times

Advertisements

Would it be unrealistic to consider living in Sarasota and working in Bay Pines?

Last edited by AnnieCt; 09-21-2013 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 08:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCt View Post
Would it be unrealistic to. Insider living in Sarasota and working in Bay Pines?
Depends on how much you mind the commute. You would have to go over the Skyway Bridge each day (which is a problem in bad weather) Going to take a good hour depending on where in Sarasota you live. My hubby drives to downtown Tampa from north end of Sarasota each day which is about 50 miles, over I-75 (no bridges) about an hour. But Skyway traffic will be different. You should make the drive yourself and see how you feel about it.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:39 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,030 times
It is do able. Can you make the drive before you decide about living there or taking a job at Bay Pines?

Old 09-21-2013, 08:48 AM

323 posts, read 684,481 times
They closed the bridge for almost 3 days during Debby last year. I wouldn't have wanted to be working and living on either side of it, but that's just me. The drive during normal conditions wouldn't be too terrible, but I'm biased again because it's still not a drive I'd want to make every day. What are the reasons for wanting to live in Sarasota, and what type of job would you be taking in Bay Pines? Maybe there are similarities in either housing or job offerings that we can help you identify in areas closer to either Bay Pines or Sarasota.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:20 AM

We like the Sarasota area and the position may be unique and not easily duplicated elsewhere.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:30 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Depends on how much you mind the commute. You would have to go over the Skyway Bridge each day (which is a problem in bad weather) Going to take a good hour depending on where in Sarasota you live. My hubby drives to downtown Tampa from north end of Sarasota each day which is about 50 miles, over I-75 (no bridges) about an hour. But Skyway traffic will be different. You should make the drive yourself and see how you feel about it.
Sure, it is doable. Gypsy's husband makes that trip everyday, it is just a long time commuting.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:43 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCt View Post
We like the Sarasota area and the position may be unique and not easily duplicated elsewhere.
Depends where in Sarasota as well, I go from the carillion pkwy area in Clearwater to the university ave area at least once a week and it takes more anywhere from 35 to 45 minutes, I never have a problem on the skyway, but if you go to the armands circle area or deeper into Sarasota it could take an extra 30 minutes plus, Sarasota itself is full of lights and really slow driving people.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:15 PM

693 posts, read 1,137,762 times
I will be working on the Bay Pines complex as well and considered Sarasota area. I am a commuter, I am okay with it, born and raised in a culture of it, in some ways I like the drive with music between work and home. I arrive home without the office. Anyway, the one reason why I decided to eliminate coming up from the Sarasota area is that bridge, if its closed your done, forget it! You will need a helipad or something. God forbid another ship hits it or some natural disaster causes it to be closed for a long time, not a good scenario.

In the end you have to way the risks and decide for yourself, I think in general though it would be a nice commute over a bridge that will provide a lot of scenery.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:24 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
There is so much available in Pinellas County to enjoy, particularly if you dont feel exhausted after a long commute - give us a chance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay