U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 04:15 PM

1,450 posts, read 2,670,435 times

Advertisements

So I am not against this being put back in the water if it really does help those less fortunate to keep teeth healthy - those for whom regular dental is not available due to income etc.
But it tastes so awful. Do I have to get any kind of special filter to do something about this, since about the middle of the month, my water smells stronger of chemicals and it also makes dreadful tea.

I understand Brita type of filters dont work. I have found that running a lot of water off the faucet for a while seems to 'thin' out the smell/taste, but is there any other solution? Why is it worse for first gallon or so?

thanks for input
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 05:32 PM

4,331 posts, read 6,030,724 times
I don't think you're tasting/smelling the fluoride. It's more likely the chloramines added for disinfectant. Google chloramine filters-there's a bunch of under the sink filters and Reverse Osmosis units that are suppose to work.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:41 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,018,755 times
I believe Vaughan is correct. I sometimes smell a stronger chlorine odor in my water. I know fluoride is supposed to be tasteless and odorless.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,009 times
It is NEVER a good idea to INGEST fluoride. Topical use in toothpaste is OK but note it warns that you MUST spit your toothpaste out! Typically, the "fluoride" they put in our water is a waste by-product from the mining industry called fluorosilicic acid! There are 3 "sodium fluorides" approved by the FDA to put in toothpaste by NOBODY has ever approved of the crap they put in our water.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,052,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluorideFreeFlorida View Post
It is NEVER a good idea to INGEST fluoride. Topical use in toothpaste is OK but note it warns that you MUST spit your toothpaste out! Typically, the "fluoride" they put in our water is a waste by-product from the mining industry called fluorosilicic acid! There are 3 "sodium fluorides" approved by the FDA to put in toothpaste by NOBODY has ever approved of the crap they put in our water.
Great. Another tinfoil hat wearer crawls out from their mud hut.

I can't wait to hear what their thoughts are on penicillin: "it's an outrage! people consuming mold! NOBODY ever approved of THAT!"

Old 09-23-2013, 10:37 AM

861 posts, read 1,281,233 times
Fluoride makes for strong teeth but weak brains and bodies.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 AM

5,161 posts, read 4,551,355 times
Actually, fluoride is not good for those of us with compromised immune systems. I can't afford to get a whole house system that removes it, but I do have a filtration system for my drinking/cooking water.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:22 AM

1,450 posts, read 2,670,435 times
Thanks for the info, I think the Chloramines are a temporary 'clean' so the water should go back to normal again.
It is hard to live today without fearing something we are breathing, touching, consuming and so forth. I try to keep a sensible lid on it all, but for goodness sake, when your morning cup of tea tastes like a chemistry set experiment, something needs to be done.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:01 PM

4,331 posts, read 6,030,724 times
One of my job duties is maintaining municipal potable water equipment. Trust me- you don't want to drink raw untreated well or surface water (re. the Hillsborough River). Fecal material, arsenic and a whole host of nasties can be in raw water. Without the chloramine, people would be getting sick with cholera.

I'm not saying all wells are necessarily contaminated, but you can't take any chances with a municipal water supply.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:01 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,052,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
One of my job duties is maintaining municipal potable water equipment. Trust me- you don't want to drink raw untreated well or surface water (re. the Hillsborough River). Fecal material, arsenic and a whole host of nasties can be in raw water. Without the chloramine, people would be getting sick with cholera.

I'm not saying all wells are necessarily contaminated, but you can't take any chances with a municipal water supply.
The anti-flouride bunch are in the same batch of fools who refuse to be vaccinated for anything. Fortunately, they don't tend to reproduce well, as their children frequently die from diseases that have been 100% preventable for a century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or